Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Old Accrington > Nostalgia aint what it used to be...
Donate! Join Today

Nostalgia aint what it used to be... The "I remember when......." section is finally with us - lets reminisce!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 20-08-2003, 23:56   #1
Accy Goddess

Post What did you do in the play ground?

The play ground was split in two boys and girls. We had tennis and netball courts. We would either be playing stretch on the grass verges or in the girls toilets, fag in hand. Including the boys.
Games like skipping, elastics, clapping games. marbles for the boys.
ANNE is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 21-08-2003, 00:05   #2
Caz
God Member

Post Re: What did you do in the play ground?

Was this Secondary School? (if it was primary you were lucky with the courts)

Didn't have boy's playground there cos we had no boys - all girls school.(Accy High School)

No crafty fags - didn't start till I was 16 and at work.

Consequences & Jacks were the main pastimes in the first couple of years at secondary.

They built the new Grammar School ( old Moorhead building)  whilst I was there. It caused great excitement. First with the workmen - then with the boys! ;D

I am not young enough to know everything.
- Oscar Wilde
Caz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2003, 01:15   #3
I am Banned

Infants school was split boys and girls playgrounds.. run by Nuns.. st walburgs in preston. Never really liked nuns since..
HarryX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2003, 03:12   #4

Kiss catch, rover rover, we also used to play banks, using the bars around the school as the ones seperating cashier/costumers!!!! this was Junoir school of course which has since burnt down!
littlemo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2003, 09:43   #5
Filthy / Gorgeous

Bejeweled Blitz Champion!

Junior school split into boys and girls, used to play rounders, elastics and juggling 2 balls (plainy walls ice cream etc,) Infant school, kiss catch, british bulldog. Moorhead was mostly top trumps, practising with make up and hairstyles and general flirting ( still haven't got those right) :-[

The views expressed here are my own and not necessarily those of my family, friends, employer, this site, my neighbours, hairdresser, dentist, GP, next door's dog or anyone else who knows me..
lettie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2003, 16:58   #6
Em

At primary school we used to cut the good leg off a laddered pair of tights  put a tennis ball in the end,tie it to our ankle (not too tight) and then spin it round jumping over it with the other foot they still do it now but thay are posher than ours were they are now made from plastic with a thing on that counts how many you've done.
Old 21-08-2003, 18:28   #7

I remember the ball in the tight, suprised they haven't banned that they seem to ban everything else.  Also at primary school we used play kiss chase,  dare games, the usual skipping games and of course queenie queenie who's got the ball.  Oh those were the days

Sara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2003, 20:08   #8
Accy Goddess

It was Secondry School that ad the courts. The ball game you played called queenie, queenie was called queenio cokio who`s got the ballio.
Also played kiss catch in the primary school. Remember the ball in the tights too.
Old 08-09-2003, 07:55   #9
Senior Member+

We always played football always, always, always
Old 08-09-2003, 09:28   #10
Jo

At junior school we always played netball, always, always, always.
100 goals a playtime to keep your place  as a shooter in Mrs. Middelton's school team
Our team never ever lost a match at Hyndburn level, neither at Junior school (St. Anne's) nor at secondary school (Mount Carmel). We only lost in the county finals. What a team!
Jo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2003, 20:35   #11
Accy Goddess

Hated netball got out of it anyway I could.
Old 16-07-2004, 22:41   #12
Resident Waffler

Re: What did you do in the play ground?

We used to make ice slides in winter in the playground. The teachers didn't approve but we did it anyway.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2004, 23:03   #13
Member.

When it snowed we would roll snow balls until they where to big to move, I think our best was about five foot. We play rounders a lot (the only game I was good at) Football was played only when we got a new bladder which would last another week until some Ba***** split it.

All the normal kiddie games Kiss Chase (my god Mandy Heartshawn & Key Holland) god I like to meet them now... We had Stink Bombs and flash jacks..(Little lead rockets with caps inside then). And itching powder that seemed only to work on the way home for some reason.

One school was split, I think it was St Mary's I'm not sure, it had some big B***** Nuns that use to pick on me because I was a prod. They would point at me as though I was the devil himself and say “THAT….. you don't want to be like THAT children”.......Religion eh. Of course I grew up a good Christian. What I do remember was the wall was about six foot high and you got battered if you dared to clime it. I was there three months before I got a Transfer to Green Howarth and I got battered every day……********s.
Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2004, 23:11   #14
Resident Waffler

Did you have the little divers and submarines that you had to put baking powder in and they went up and down in water as the stuff dissolved?

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2004, 23:19   #15
Member.

I, I remember those....we use to get them from Woollies. You could get a card with three or four different coloured subs on it......Good cheep stuff that. They would keep us happy for hours.
Doug is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..