Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Old Accrington > Nostalgia aint what it used to be...
Donate! Join Today

Nostalgia aint what it used to be... The "I remember when......." section is finally with us - lets reminisce!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 31-07-2009, 23:31   #31
Passed away 25-11-09

Re: What food did your Mum make you eat when you had nowt else!!

I, honestly, can't remember being made to eat anything. I know I avoided bread, until I was about 8, then discovered a liking for it. Up to then I'd been eating just meat or fish and vegetables - I suppose that was, really, a very healthy diet but I was small and very thin, not good in the 1940s, they wanted chubby children in those days. I never quite made it.

There were certain meals my mother used to make specially for my dad; rabbit pie and pigs' trotters comes to mind. I wouldn't eat either of them (more on moral grounds than taste-wise) but there was always something different for us children.

I used to get dosed every morning. For a while it was Cod Liver Oil and Malt, which I absolutely loved, and later it was Rose Hip Syrup - mmmmmm! I still love Cod Liver Oil - yes, honestly - and I make my own Rose Hip Syrup. All the above were supposed to keep me healthy and, my mother prayed, stop me being so thin. It didn't work. Oh I was healthy enough but when Nature says you're gonna be skinny until you hit 45 - that's how it is.
Accrington Web
Old 14-08-2009, 01:36   #32

Had it for lunch today, lovely done right.
shazfury1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2009, 10:03   #33
Resting in Peace

my mom would boil a sheep's head up and dad would tell her to leave the eyes in so it would see us through the week
darwendosser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2009, 10:45   #34
Senior Member+

swedes.. mixed with carrots,so i wouldnt notice
as if

like i've never been gone
beechy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2009, 11:50   #35

My Mum would boil the sheep's head then take the brains out, mash them with salt and pepper and vinegar then make a sandwich of it!!!! Thankfully she was greedy and never made us eat it!!
gdm27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2009, 12:09   #36
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by beechy View Post
swedes.. mixed with carrots,so i wouldnt notice
as if

we love carrots and swede mashed with a bit of butter mmmm one of my favourites

I finally found someone daft enough to marry me, my wonderboy is 11, my monkeygirl is 3 and my bananaman is 2, my beautiful little flower was born in feb 2012
emamum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2009, 05:40   #37
God Member

Can remember a family who lived across the street from us , must have been the mid/late 50s when cheap plastic products first came on the market , the Mother decided to make a potato pie. In those days the white enamel washing-up basin (used in a slop stone) served a duel purpose as a cooking utensil for pratie pie/hot pot .
needless to say the 'new' plastic washing up bowl did not withstand use in the oven and the fire brigade made a visit much to the merriment of the local kids .
steeljack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 21:10   #38

I remember when we had our 1st roast chicken Sunday dinner, that was in the late 50's. Home made spud pie until then.
gdm27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 03:38   #39
Junior Member+

darn right....i still love it...and i'm 67...lol...no real name...just cheese and egg done in the oven...cheers
docker5 is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..