Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Old Accrington > Nostalgia aint what it used to be...
Donate! Join Today

Nostalgia aint what it used to be... The "I remember when......." section is finally with us - lets reminisce!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree95Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-02-2014, 19:14   #31

Re: What memories would you liked to of shared??

You're right, Eric - the more you think about the past the more you remember.

On Saturday nights, before TV came into our lives, the BBC broadcast excellent plays. My mother and I used to listen to these - but without fail just before the end my dad would come home from his Saturday night at the local, always very cheerful (wonder why!). He would have a bottle of O.B.J. in one hand which was for my mum, and a parcel of fish and chips in the other for us to share. Often he would insist on singing - one song he liked to sing was 'I don't want her, you can have her, she's too fat for me' and couldn't understand why we kept asking him to shush as we wanted to hear how the play finished.

I was very excited when my mother bought a second-hand gramaphone - a piece of furniture probably similar to your gran's, Eric, and said it was for me. It was a wind-up one (one full wind-up just about lasted one record) and I played my cherished Johnny Ray record over and over again ('Cry' and 'The Little White Cloud that Cried'). The gram had come with a number of records - some of the very funny ones about Albert and the like. I was the only one of my friends with such a device and thought I was the bee's knees.

Don't know what it cost but I'm sure my mother would have had to do without something herself to get it.
dotti34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 04-02-2014, 19:19   #32
Junior Member+

What about going to the BUG HUT Saturday night with a bag of broken biscuits from Woolies then pie and peas at Raymonds Café top of King st total spend about two shillings Happy days
wapthrush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 19:27   #33

Haven't been on here for a while, and last night I was missing Ossie so much that I wished I had had that machine (Star Trek- beam me down Scottie) so that I could beam down on my town!! then I found this thread which has brought back memories, joy and even a few tears. We really were lucky. The generation before us lived through war, the one after us, who knows what lies ahead for them?
Some say as we get older we all say that our generation was the best, but I can't remember my mum and dad ever talking about theirs.
I can remember the penny- tray at the sweetshop, hot muffins and teacakes and broth in winter; and sliding down iced-over Duke street on a piece of wood right down into Trinity St with no fear ever of getting knocked down. Now I'm afraid to cross the road on the crossing!!
Thanks for the memories
sm_counsell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 19:45   #34
Senior Member+

In winter we used to double glaze our windows by fastening plastic sheeting up with drawing pins.
gpick24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 19:56   #35

More memories keep flooding in.

Sunday afternoon walks up Whalley Nab, my mum and me - followed by afternoon tea at my Aunt Maggie's cafe (Ye Olde Scotts Cafe - if I remember the name correctly) in Whalley. Long gone now I would think. There was a woman there who played the piano and sang - would sing the first half of a song in a female voice then do a slight cough and sing the second half like a man. I was fascinated by her.

My aunt gave free meals to servicemen who had been injured in the war and were convalescing in the nearby hospital - think it was Calderstones. She looked after them well, bless her. They all wore pale blue outfits.

I was a little kid during the second World War. Couldn't get butter and I well remember my mother skimming the cream off the top of the milk and putting it into a lidded jar. Then we would take it in turns to shake it for ages and ages until it turned into some semblance of butter. As I didn't like butter it was a treat for my mum - made all the arm-aching worthwhile to see how much she enjoyed a slice of bread with it on. She didn't get many treats.

I remember hiding in the outside 'loo (no indoor ones in those days) because I didn't want to be fitted with a gas mask but eventually had to be of course.

Remember well the street parties when victory was declared.....

....oops! I really am showing my age. Better stop.
Accyexplorer likes this.
dotti34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 20:14   #36
Beacon of light

I can remember sliding down Riley's hill(in the snow) on Ma's best tin tray......I got a hiding for denting it by running into the kerb on Marsden St.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 21:03   #37
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sm_counsell View Post
We really were lucky.
Damn right we were. Both my grandads were born in 1896 ... this would make them 18 yrs old in 1914. My dad was born in 1921 ... bummer. For them, the world turned in on itself in a fit of murderous mayhem ... for us, it opened up ... we had the 60s ...we had sex, drugs, and rock 'n roll (by the way, I'm still going strong) ... they had WW1 and WW11.
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 21:51   #38
Full Member+

What a trip down memory lane this thread is. I must have been 'posh' as our house although a terrace did have a bathroom so no tin bath for me but like many others we only had a carpet square and polished wooden edges round the room. the mention of Birtwells icecream brought back happy memories . I remember every Sunday evening listening for his whistle while at my granny's in Huncoat.When we heard it she would give me a pint pot to get filled. he always asked if I wanted 'Lion's blood.' on the top. The people sitting on doorsteps reminded me of everyone after mopping the front step and window bottoms going along the edges with a 'Donkey stone' given by the rag and bone man in exchange for rags. Some stones were whitish and others yellowish. great pride was taken in making houses look neat and tidy. As for school I got plenty of good hidings from Mr Gleave at Peel Park. What a wonderful teacher he was. pity there is not the same discipline now a days.
Accyexplorer likes this.
Rowlf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 22:08   #39
Beacon of light

Oh, I remember Mr Gleave, Mr Heaton, and Miss Butterworth......and not forgetting Mr Hinchcliffe the headmaster.
Old 04-02-2014, 23:30   #40

I was taught by Mr. Gleave and Mr. Heaton too! I once got the ping pong bat on the fanny (in full view at the front of the class) from Mr. Gleave for being late in handing in my science notebook. He was nice really, even helping me by pulling out one of my teeth that was stubbornly hanging in.
Turtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 05:49   #41
Senior Member+

Reading all the thought provoked/provoking comments I realize now,this is what happiness looks like.

“Childhood memories were like airplane luggage; no matter how far you were traveling or how long you needed them to last, you were only ever allowed two bags. And while those bags might hold a few hazy recollections—a diner with a jukebox at the table, being pushed on a swing set, the way it felt to be picked up and spun around—it didn't seem enough to last a whole lifetime.” ― Jennifer E. Smith

Good to see folk are not bored to tears reading this, Keep the memories coming
Turtle likes this.

My photobucket account http://s28.photobucket.com/user/Accy...?sort=2&page=1
password--Accyweb

Last edited by Accyexplorer; 05-02-2014 at 05:58.
Accyexplorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 07:28   #42
Beacon of light

I think it is wonderful that so many people have such rich memories of times when they were young....these are the memories that give us a hug when we are old.......and no-one else wants to hug us
Turtle likes this.
Old 05-02-2014, 08:37   #43
Full Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turtle View Post
I was taught by Mr. Gleave and Mr. Heaton too! I once got the ping pong bat on the fanny (in full view at the front of the class) from Mr. Gleave for being late in handing in my science notebook. He was nice really, even helping me by pulling out one of my teeth that was stubbornly hanging in.
Hi Turtle, I couldn't help but chuckle about the way different countries have different meanings for the same word. :
Accyexplorer likes this.
Old 05-02-2014, 11:34   #44
Senior Member+

My first recollection of my childhood is the day I fell down the stairs (4 yr old) and my older (evil) cousins just laughed.I remember I was so upset I cried for nearly 2hours in spite of my parents,cousins attempts to comfort me.If i remember rightly I only quietened down when I was given some goats milk ice-cream. Luckily,(Although some may think otherwise) there was no lasting damage.
My days were happy ones,I had good neighbors/family members to play with from morning till evening. We dressed as cowboys and Indians and rode about on our tricycles happily for hours on end,I'm sure there were other games we played to occupy our time but i cant quite remember them.
Then I started going to school around the age of five , this turned out to be quite an ordeal for me. To begin with, I remember feeling quite sad having to leave my mum and go off to be among strangers.I remember crying and wanting my mother around, much to my teacher's displeasure. As the days went by, however, I made friends in class and found their company top notch. I became happy again and actually looked forward to leaving the house and mother each morning.
I still remember the days I was learning to ride my bicycle. I fell and bruised myself several times but I never gave up. Finally, I was able to join my friends going around the neighborhood on my bike (I was tore moon).

Another fond memory is the end-of-year play. I was chosen to play the role of Jack in 'Jack and the Beanstalk.I remember becoming a 'celebrity' overnight an receiving lots of compliments for my performance from teachers other parents.

What a wonderful childhood I had and at times wish I could relive those days (NOT THE CRYING ONES)

My photobucket account http://s28.photobucket.com/user/Accy...?sort=2&page=1
password--Accyweb
Accyexplorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 12:19   #45
Full Member+

Glad some of you remember Mr Gleave at Peel Park. Ofcourse I remember Mr Hinchcliffe the Head Master but cannot recall Mr Heaton. Maybe he came after I left. Mrs Madden was in charge of Class 2 and Mrs Becker Class 3. I was in her class twice.The first time I was so frightened of her I was physically sick every morning but I still got put on the bus to school. How times have changed.No one would dream of sending a 6yrs old on a bus to school alone now but I lived in Hapton and Peel Park was a much better school than the 2 in the village so my parents thought I would have a better chance of passing the 11plus. They were right too I did pass and went to Accrington High School for Girls.Ha ha and there was Miss Horne who was just as intimidating as Mrs Becker. How many of you lot recall standing outside her study trembling ?
Rowlf is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..