Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Old Accrington > Nostalgia aint what it used to be...
Donate! Join Today

Nostalgia aint what it used to be... The "I remember when......." section is finally with us - lets reminisce!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-08-2004, 17:03   #46
Resting in peace

Re: WHAT WERE YOU MADE TO DO WHEN YOU WERE YOUNG

I used to have to pretend to be playing out the back when the coalman came, so that I could count the bags for my auntie (very distrustful, Northern women). Also when she went to the butchers (Ted Charnley) for mince, she always used to say "You run that mincer first, Ted Charnley, I don't want any old muck in with my good meat". Funnily enough, both the coalman and the Charnleys were family friends! Did anyone else have to watch the shopkeeper to see that there wasn't a hand on the scales with the bag of fruit or veg?
pendy is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 09-08-2004, 18:34   #47

At our house back in the fifties we were made to mangle the tooth paste tube to completly empty it.
accyplus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2004, 18:41   #48
Member.

In 1964 I managed to mangle my fingers. My dad and granddad had to strip the mangle down to get me out. We had one of those tube keys to get the last of the past out. It was like a bigger version of those found on sardine tins.
Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2004, 20:13   #49
God Member

We also used to have to take cod liver oil on a spoon but I quite like it now and still take it regularly.
grego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2004, 22:16   #50
Accy Goddess

I once fell in my nana's dolly tub that she kept in the back garden.
I almost drowned in the two inches of water at the bottom.
All Mum and Dad could see were two podgy legs sticking up in the air.
I was stuck fast and it seemed like forever before they got me out.
ANNE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2004, 20:08   #51
Beacon of light

I was made to bring the coal up from the cellar.....ooooo it was ever so dark.
Mind my brothers....all five of them.
Go to the Co-op on Nuttall St and got clouted if I forgot the Divi number (10168)
Cut newspaper into squares to go on a string in the lavvy......and eat KIPPERS yeeuk.
I think today it would be counted as cruelty.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2004, 20:14   #52
Beacon of light

Was anyone else out there made to have Scotts Emulsion and Virol???(which was cod liver oil and malt). I hated both of these vile medicines and once got my hair caught in the bedsprings whilst trying to get under the bed and away from my mother. I ended up having to have lumps of my hair cut off to get me untangled from the bed springs.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2004, 20:16   #53
mez
God Member

i was made to have malt & codliver oil but i liked it,
Old 22-10-2004, 20:37   #54
Member.

Virol - Oh god no.......yuk

On - Stanley – On
- Who’s Laughing Now -
Old 22-10-2004, 22:01   #55
Resident Waffler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug
How about pram wheel go carts.
I missed that bit before. We used to make them, with a bit of rope through the front to hang onto and steer by. Old pram wheels seemed to be so easy to get hold of in those days didn't they?

Thanks for that memory Doug

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2004, 23:33   #56
Always EVIL within us

Quote:
Originally Posted by grego
We also used to have to take cod liver oil on a spoon but I quite like it now and still take it regularly.
Yuk! It was the most vile, evil liquid ever invented.........and still is!
Old 22-10-2004, 23:36   #57
Always EVIL within us

Unhappy Re: WHAT WERE YOU MADE TO DO WHEN YOU WERE YOUNG

Quote:
Originally Posted by ANNE
your not wrong there Tracy, specially in that tin bath. *:'( :'
In front of the fire...in the kitchen! (wasn't it zinc?)
Old 22-10-2004, 23:57   #58
Member.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillowTheWhisp
I Thanks for that memory Doug
How about the grit in your bum, thighs and hands after coming off at speed. I can remember using an old wardrobe door that split right across the middle. I got splinters in my ar** that day an all...........

On - Stanley – On
- Who’s Laughing Now -
Old 22-10-2004, 23:57   #59
Always EVIL within us

Quote:
Originally Posted by janet
when i used to visit my grandparents my grandma always made me a cup of tea, no tea bags back then( it was in the good old days ) tea leaves floating on top and made with steralised milk it was DISGUSTING have not drank tea for donkey's years funny how things stick in your mind. :-X
I still leave the last drop of tea in the cup, I have nightmares about that tea leaf attacking my throat as I drink the last dregs.....
Old 23-10-2004, 00:17   #60
Always EVIL within us

Talking Re: WHAT WERE YOU MADE TO DO WHEN YOU WERE YOUNG

My Mother used to "pick potatoes" for a local farmer........and the best "Bakers" were hidden under my younger sisters pram mattress.

She also picked "prunes" and "Greengages" from the local orchards.....and guess who had to climb to the top of the ladder for one fruit if it was unsafe for adults?

Collecting coal off the road after the coal man had delivered up our road,.but the best was the "Jublies." Triangular lumps of flavoured ice that were impossible to get to through the tough cardboard!!

For the smokers, Do you remember Cadets (sold in 5's?).........when you are desperate and short of money..........!

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..