Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Old Accrington > Nostalgia aint what it used to be...
Donate! Join Today

Nostalgia aint what it used to be... The "I remember when......." section is finally with us - lets reminisce!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-04-2005, 20:52   #76
Member.

Re: WHAT WERE YOU MADE TO DO WHEN YOU WERE YOUNG

Quote:
Originally Posted by ANNE
Green shield stamps were Brilliant.
When we first got married we bought all our Christmas prezzies with them.
Ouch the dreaded mangle.
We had one when we first got married.
I can feel my fingers throbbing at the mere thought.
I was looking at some old photos a couple of weeks ago, I found myself laughing to myself when I came across a handful of green shield stamp books, Stamps included. I remember having to lick the stamps, bloody hell that seems so long ago. I remember going to Belle vue to get stuff from Green Shield. It was always a day out. Speedway and the Zoo. Go karts as well, I can remember my dad and Harold James going at hammer and tongs round the track. Anyone remember the Smoking monkey at Belle Vue? Always nicked fags “roll ups were a favourite” if it didn’t like you it would show you it’s a***.

On - Stanley – On
- Who’s Laughing Now -
Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 07-04-2005, 20:59   #77
Beacon of light

Fish and chips certainly tasted better out of newspaper.

I used to get sent to the local chippy for a bottle of vinegar.......it used to be in a large barrel and it was something like 3d a pint.
I used to drink some of it on the way home and fill the bottle up at the horse trough.
My mother stopped sending me after a bit. I heard her telling one of the neighbours she wouldn't buy vinegar from Mrs Mayor again as she was watering it down !
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2005, 21:15   #78
white rabbits

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington
Fish and chips certainly tasted better out of newspaper.

I used to get sent to the local chippy for a bottle of vinegar.......it used to be in a large barrel and it was something like 3d a pint.
I used to drink some of it on the way home and fill the bottle up at the horse trough.
My mother stopped sending me after a bit. I heard her telling one of the neighbours she wouldn't buy vinegar from Mrs Mayor again as she was watering it down !
that reminds me of eating all the crusty corners off the bread,,comming home from the bakers,,,,,and talking of viniger ,do you remember fennings fever cure,it tasted just like viniger but i liked it and kept sneaking a bit ,,,my mother thought it was evapperating....lol
Old 07-04-2005, 21:22   #79
Beacon of light

I certainly do remember Fennings Fever Cure.......Fenning Little Lung Healers......Dr Doans Backache Pills......Bile Beans.......all sold at the local grocery store. Medicinal brandee......I once faked bad bellyache hoping for a dose of Indian Brandee.......it was blooming horrible.
Old 07-04-2005, 21:29   #80
Member.

Fennings Fever Cure, Bloody hell. I think I remember then. Was that the brown and yellow powder folded in paper.

On - Stanley – On
- Who’s Laughing Now -
Old 07-04-2005, 21:34   #81
Beacon of light

It certainly was Doug.
Old 07-04-2005, 22:42   #82
white rabbits

i think the powders were for grown up,s .the fennings fever cure i was on about was for children in a bottle....do you remember oliveoil and raspberry viniger ,,and camphorated oil ..yuk ...
Old 08-04-2005, 20:33   #83
Beacon of light

alas.....and sad to say, yes I remember all of those things. Scotts Emulsion......Virol (nasty stuff that).....worm cakes....they looked like chocolate drops with hundreds and thousands on......didn't taste too bad, but they gave you chronic gripes and the shish kebabs.
It was pretty bad at our house there were 7 kids and Mum used to treat us all at the same time......only problem, seven bums.......... one toilet. Not a good equation that!
Accidents were bound to happen.
Old 08-04-2005, 20:45   #84
Member.

Our first bog was a long drop in the back yard at Church Street (early 60s.) It’s was mid 60s before we had flush and about 67 before we had an inside loo up Miller Fold. I remember Virol, Yuk, (shiver). Hated Milk of Magnesia, loved Rose Hip Syrup, their was something else we where forced to take but I a be buggered if I can remember what it was.

On - Stanley – On
- Who’s Laughing Now -
Old 08-04-2005, 20:50   #85
Beacon of light

We had a long drop too.......one of my brothers caught a live hen from one of the pens that was near where we lived and he put it down the long drop.........I cry with laughing when I think of my dad trying to get the b***** out.......it took him all of a sunday afternoon.
And what do you think....? NO-ONE knew how the hen had got down there!
Old 08-04-2005, 20:53   #86
Beacon of light

My grandma and Grandad were posh.......they had an inside flush toilet AND a two holer long drop out in the yard.

I could never understand the principle behind the two holer long drop.......like, would you want to be on the toilet doing a grunt with someone else doing the same thing??????

Last edited by Margaret Pilkington; 08-04-2005 at 20:55. Reason: sausage fingers....oops!
Old 08-04-2005, 21:03   #87
Member.

Quote:
My grandma and Grandad were posh.......they had an inside flush toilet AND a two holer long drop out in the yard.

I could never understand the principle behind the two holer long drop.......like, would you want to be on the toilet doing a grunt with someone else doing the same thing??????

You’re a wicked woman Margaret Pilkington. We only got a flush after my granddad lost his teeth down the drop. I remember we all went down to the treatment plant to see if they came out the other end. We never did find them.....

On - Stanley – On
- Who’s Laughing Now -
Old 08-04-2005, 22:41   #88
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Smile Re: WHAT WERE YOU MADE TO DO WHEN YOU WERE YOUNG

Quote:
We had a long drop too.......one of my brothers caught a live hen from one of the pens that was near where we lived and he put it down the long drop.........I cry with laughing when I think of my dad trying to get the b***** out.......it took him all of a sunday afternoon.
And what do you think....? NO-ONE knew how the hen had got down there!
that took me back,also earlier taking the newapaper squares down to the bog but you must have bin posher than us( ours went on a rusty nail not string) also slightly off thread, (the hen) i came to my nans(maudsley st)from school(st johns) an my nan was down the yard (in the bog)door open stood looking down the bog,a cat was down on the tippler,my nan had put the prop down,an the cat scampered up it thought it was dead hilarious,as well as inventive.
Old 09-04-2005, 19:05   #89
Beacon of light

My Dad used to sweep the chimney and he had a lot of canes that slotted together.......he put these down the lavvy hoping that the hen would perch on them and he would be able to lift it out.......but everytime he got the thing within arms length it fluttered off back to the bottom.........we also tried filling the kitchen sink in order to prime the tippler action, but that didn't work either. I can tell you there was a lot of very unchristian language that Sunday.......but it was ever so funny!
Old 09-04-2005, 19:07   #90
Beacon of light

Doug, you can't even dream of how wicked I can be! hehehe.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..