Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Old Accrington > Nostalgia aint what it used to be...
Donate! Join Today

Nostalgia aint what it used to be... The "I remember when......." section is finally with us - lets reminisce!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 16-08-2009, 18:10   #16
Super Moderator

Re: Whats the best natural beer you've ever had

No, Jaysay, it's up Cheetham Hill way, quite close to Strangeways. A real traditional brewery. Don't think they have any pubs north of Bury.
Old 17-08-2009, 09:13   #17
God Member

Posted via Mobile Device
The dog(previously the gay dog) near where i work at lower peover,knutsford usually has black sheep on
entwisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2009, 09:29   #18
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
Is that Oldham brewery Wynonie, I think they used to have that on at the Elite Snooker club when it was on Bull Bridge, but I ain't seen it for ages
when would that be?? can only remember the "Drill Hall" on bull bridge, Elite was oer Redmans in my memory.
Old 17-08-2009, 09:29   #19
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wynonie Harris View Post
No, Jaysay, it's up Cheetham Hill way, quite close to Strangeways. A real traditional brewery. Don't think they have any pubs north of Bury.
That's started me thinking about that Odham brewery, there was one once and it was a very short name. Can Remember Bodies being near Strangeways, that was a nice drink when it was brewed there.
Old 17-08-2009, 09:39   #20
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
when would that be?? can only remember the "Drill Hall" on bull bridge, Elite was oer Redmans in my memory.
Mid to late seventies cashy, and was in the old Drill Hall, there was about 14 tables and a special match table in a separate room. I remember it because I fitted the bottle coolers behind the bar, and I used to pop in for a game with Neil Payton. When it shut it moved to the Old Bakery on Green lane I think its called, just round the corner from he Bridge Pub, it was owned by a chap you was step father to Mark Boyd, was a brilliant snooker player when he was 13 or 14, made a 147 break when he was 14, think he lives in Ossy now, occasionally came in Ossy con or a game but ain't seen him for years now.
Old 17-08-2009, 09:57   #21
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
Mid to late seventies cashy, and was in the old Drill Hall, there was about 14 tables and a special match table in a separate room. I remember it because I fitted the bottle coolers behind the bar, and I used to pop in for a game with Neil Payton. When it shut it moved to the Old Bakery on Green lane I think its called, just round the corner from he Bridge Pub, it was owned by a chap you was step father to Mark Boyd, was a brilliant snooker player when he was 13 or 14, made a 147 break when he was 14, think he lives in Ossy now, occasionally came in Ossy con or a game but ain't seen him for years now.
ah cheers fer clarification, i moved to church early 70s when i got wed, so was never aware of the move from above redmans, just goes to show.... ya have sod all when ya get hitched.
Old 17-08-2009, 14:43   #22
Senior Member+

I recall Elite at Bull Bridge too, used to pop down for a few games a couple of times a week...sharpen me up for the Pool!! Phil Hollings used to play down there quite a bit then. I remember Mark Boyd too Jaysay, hell of a player as a young un as you say, but then just seemed to fade away have not seen him for years, and i dont know where Neil Payton is these days either, never played snooker with him, but had many a battle on the Pool table! Last thing i recall about Neil was when he restored the figures in the Accrington Crib...but thats going back a while now!

Best Regards - Taggy
Taggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2009, 15:26   #23
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Neil is a guy i lost touch with late 60s, don't think he was daft enough to sup wi us lot. good bloke though aint seen him fer about 20 yrs now.
Old 17-08-2009, 16:13   #24
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taggy View Post
I recall Elite at Bull Bridge too, used to pop down for a few games a couple of times a week...sharpen me up for the Pool!! Phil Hollings used to play down there quite a bit then. I remember Mark Boyd tooJays, hell of a player as a young un as you say, but then just seemed to fade away have not seen him for years, and i dont know where Neil Payton is these days either, never played snooker with him, but had many a battle on the Pool table! Last thing i recall about Neil was when he restored the figures in the Accrington Crib...but that's going back a while now!

Best Regards - Taggy
The last time I heard from him he was living in Blackburn near the Mill Hill Club, I remember him staring a restoration business but that's ages ago. Back in the eighties I was his manager when he was on the pro Pool circuit, he was a member of the 3PO, did quite a lot of promotional work for Whitbreads, pool challenge nights all over the north west, I used to Ref the matches for him and help on the trick shot sessions

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..