Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Old Accrington > Nostalgia aint what it used to be...
Donate! Join Today

Nostalgia aint what it used to be... The "I remember when......." section is finally with us - lets reminisce!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-08-2009, 23:05   #31
God Member

Re: Working Mens Clubs

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
no bernie twas the Come @ Welcome i believe.
I would have put the top club as just at the top of Dill Hall, the Con as the middle and Come and Welcome as the bottom Shows how much I know
Old 03-08-2009, 23:14   #32
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

nah Mancie Willow Mount was n still is up Willows Lane just past charter st, have a mate works behind bar yon.
Old 03-08-2009, 23:20   #33
God Member

yes Cashy I did mean Willows lane.. was a good club a probaby still is.. everyone seemed to know each other and not a bad word said about anyone.. good nights but if you won the bingo you had hell to pay from the old dears
Mancie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 00:00   #34
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mancie View Post
yes Cashy I did mean Willows lane.. was a good club a probaby still is.. everyone seemed to know each other and not a bad word said about anyone.. good nights but if you won the bingo you had hell to pay from the old dears
yer a better man than me Mancie, i would never admit to playing bingo if i had, which i aint.
Old 04-08-2009, 01:16   #35
God Member

well if you won a line on the bingo it was curried mushrooms and chips from the Chinky...if you won nowt it was curry sauce n' chips if you had a few bob left..a simple life that is long gone.

Last edited by Mancie; 04-08-2009 at 01:22.
Old 04-08-2009, 05:04   #36
God Member

Quote:
well if you won a line on the bingo it was curried mushrooms and chips from the Chinky...if you won nowt it was curry sauce n' chips if you had a few bob left..a simple life that is long gone.
never knew rabid Labour supporters were so racist , thought they were all inclusive
steeljack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 05:22   #37
Senior Member+

Quote:
I'm presuming the Willow Mount was up Willow St..if so I used to go there in the 70's with my then girlfriend and her parents, playing bingo, watched some "turns" and a couple of pints of mixed.. not 18 and I reckon everyone knew... but any club would'nt get away with it these days...makes me wonder how we all get upset about underage drinking when it's used to be a long standing transition into adulthood.. times have changed and I feeling old!
Yes Mancie, It was a Rite of Passage, 15 years old and going in the Cattle Market and the Australian, think the Cattle Market was Lion's and the Australian was Thwaites, we had to drink near the back door so that we could make a rapid exit. Mind you the beer was only 3.5% or so in those days - mid '50s.
Old 04-08-2009, 06:08   #38

Katex, Is there a fish & chip shop on Barnes Square & a bakery ?? Pickup St, maybe.
Alan Gilmartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 09:30   #39
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Gilmartin View Post
Katex, Is there a fish & chip shop on Barnes Square & a bakery ?? Pickup St, maybe.
There is still the chippy .. Chinese owned now (I think .. will check) and an Indian take away plus a little cafe.

The Bakery (was it Elsie's ?) on Pickup Street is now owned as a sideline
by a catering company which is next door to the shop, called Gorgeous Gormets.
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 10:03   #40
Resting in Peace

Quote:
I'm presuming the Willow Mount was up Willow St..if so I used to go there in the 70's with my then girlfriend and her parents, playing bingo, watched some "turns" and a couple of pints of mixed.. not 18 and I reckon everyone knew... but any club would'nt get away with it these days...makes me wonder how we all get upset about underage drinking when it's used to be a long standing transition into adulthood.. times have changed and I feeling old!
Its on Willows Lane Mancie not Willow St. which is in the centre of Accy
Old 04-08-2009, 10:27   #41
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
Its on Willows Lane Mancie not Willow St. which is in the centre of Accy
well I knew it was somewhere in Accy..what with the LSD and booze must have lost the plot somewhere in them good old days!
Old 06-08-2009, 04:31   #42
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by katex View Post
There is still the chippy .. Chinese owned now (I think .. will check) and an Indian take away plus a little cafe.

The Bakery (was it Elsie's ?) on Pickup Street is now owned as a sideline
by a catering company which is next door to the shop, called Gorgeous Gormets.
I remember the bakery .... great meat pies .... used to get penny dabs (I think that's what they called them) with fish bits on them from that chip shop .... and a great cheese and onion pie .... ubi sunt!!!!!!!!!!!!
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 09:34   #43

Thanks Kate, I agree with Eric, mouths watering, but alas all gone never to return.
Alan Gilmartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 18:05   #44
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Gilmartin View Post
Thanks Kate, I agree with Eric, mouths watering, but alas all gone never to return.
Used to love the little party pies from the bakery ... had to order them up front if needed a few for any special occasion. Think the one there now is quite good though .. never bought anything, but their corporate catering quality is of extremely high quality.

Never been to the chippy.

Didn't get a photo' of the Middle Club Eric .. went up .. forgot camera ...
Nothing to see yet anyway ... just fencing round the land now. However, you will not remember the one they built next to the old one anyway.
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 19:25   #45
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by katex View Post
Used to love the little party pies from the bakery ... had to order them up front if needed a few for any special occasion. Think the one there now is quite good though .. never bought anything, but their corporate catering quality is of extremely high quality.

Never been to the chippy.

Didn't get a photo' of the Middle Club Eric .. went up .. forgot camera ...
Nothing to see yet anyway ... just fencing round the land now. However, you will not remember the one they built next to the old one anyway.
I think I remember that there was a bowling green there .... and I def. remeber tha annual outing to Blackpool.
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..