Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Old Accrington > Nostalgia aint what it used to be...
Donate! Join Today

Nostalgia aint what it used to be... The "I remember when......." section is finally with us - lets reminisce!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-08-2009, 20:08   #46
Resting in Peace

Re: Working Mens Clubs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric View Post
I think I remember that there was a bowling green there .
Yes, but only half of the normal green size.
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 06-08-2009, 20:56   #47
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by katex View Post
Yes, but only half of the normal green size.
Really .... never noticed ... must have made bowling easier for those that had a few .... I only knew one member; name of Ted (I'm almost certain) Berry ... his wife used to babysit me ... he's the one that got me on the annual outing to Blackpool.
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 12:46   #48

Annual outings, my goodness now that's another can of worms!!!! How many marriages had a wobble after one of those???? I remember one back in the 70's from the Broadway. Started just after 9am (this was after a lock in as well) and took us until early evening just to get to Blackpool, then it goes all dark!!!!
gdm27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2009, 10:17   #49
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by katex View Post
Used to love the little party pies from the bakery ... had to order them up front if needed a few for any special occasion. Think the one there now is quite good though .. never bought anything, but their corporate catering quality is of extremely high quality.

Never been to the chippy.

Didn't get a photo' of the Middle Club Eric .. went up .. forgot camera ...
Nothing to see yet anyway ... just fencing round the land now. However, you will not remember the one they built next to the old one anyway.
Which club in Clayton was rebuilt in the 70s, was it called the come and welcome, I worked on this club which was built by Conrad Design, well that wasn't the name then, they'd gone bust and started up again in Sabden
Old 18-10-2009, 13:19   #50

Do you still have to be a member to get into a working mans club, can't rememeber!
gdm27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2009, 14:08   #51
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by gdm27 View Post
Do you still have to be a member to get into a working mans club, can't rememeber!
Not from my experiance, I remember some used to charge 20p to get in, but very few (Not that I know) cant really afford to keep people out nowadays, custom is custom IMO.

I remeber getting an affiliation card (IIRC) that gave you allowance in other WMC or you had to have a member sign you in.
Old 18-10-2009, 15:38   #52
Resting in Peace

Re: Working Men's Clubs

Quote:
Originally Posted by ***Mr D*** View Post
Not from my experiance, I remember some used to charge 20p to get in, but very few (Not that I know) cant really afford to keep people out nowadays, custom is custom IMO.

I remeber getting an affiliation card (IIRC) that gave you allowance in other WMC or you had to have a member sign you in.
You should still be signed in, if the police call in and ask to see the signing in book and unsigned people are in, the club is libel to prosecution
Old 18-10-2009, 15:42   #53
Resting in Peace

Have a read through this.Working men's club: Information from Answers.com

Some people think I'm a bit of an animal, but I'm quite tender really
Benipete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2009, 15:46   #54
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
You should still be signed in, if the police call in and ask to see the signing in book and unsigned people are in, the club is libel to prosecution
If you are signed in as a guest it is still illlegal to purchase alcohol from the bar.

Not a lot of people know that.

Some people think I'm a bit of an animal, but I'm quite tender really
Benipete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2009, 09:54   #55
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benipete View Post
If you are signed in as a guest it is still illlegal to purchase alcohol from the bar.

Not a lot of people know that.
I did Beni thats why nobody would let me sign them in, they can get their own ale

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..