Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Old Accrington > Nostalgia aint what it used to be...
Donate! Join Today

Nostalgia aint what it used to be... The "I remember when......." section is finally with us - lets reminisce!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-07-2006, 20:22   #1
Resting in Peace

Yellow stoning

Sure if I search the archives of Accyweb will be a thread on this art of cleaning your doorsteps and the edge of the pavement with either a yellow or white stone that could be obtained from the local gypsy society in exchange for buying their pegs. Everybody took a little pride in making the flags outside their houses look good then, didn't they ? Sorta' competition. Now, it's an attitude of 'belongs to the Council, so why should I bother'

That was only to grab yer attention though.

Still trying to get my little garden into shape and become a little less like the core of the Brazilian jungle or a 'Day spent with the Triffids'

Thought I might just try and get the steps brighter, but had run out of Patio cleaner .. colleague at work says bleach works wonders .. unfortunately, never really bought bleach 'cause has memories with people trying to cover up smells they would rather be without.

Then remembered the Soda Crystals ? Lady in my street used these and she had the brightest flags in William Street ... put them out and waited until it rained (course not long wait like). Are they still available and still, possibly legal? Any other suggestions to get patio steps cleaner .. please not power washing, too much like hard work.
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 07-07-2006, 20:25   #2
God Member

Re: Yellow stoning

Quote:
Originally Posted by katex
please not power washing, too much like hard work.
Sorry but i'm gonna say power washing

But pay someone to do it nothing easier than that

www.ubuntu.com

K.S.H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2006, 20:31   #3
Beacon of light

Yes, Katex...you can get Soda Crystals......Home and bargain....59 pence a bag.....good for all kinds of cleaning......removes stubborn grease from cookers and utensils....makes your washing powder work better...although check first that your washer drum is not aluminium. good for cleaning soap scum off baths and shower panels too........I use it to remove gunge from the sink pipes...you know the build up of soap residue and conditioner that stips the water running down the hole speedily. You can also get liquid soda crystals ....more expensive and thet are just the same thing except in fluid form. See I'm a mine of useless information
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2006, 20:31   #4
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by K.S.H
Sorry but i'm gonna say power washing

But pay someone to do it nothing easier than that
OK K>s>H .. (those bloody dots of yours, never hit the Cap lock )

Probably not much more than hiring one and finding the time to do it, and power washing the paint off the car at the same time . will look at the ads. cheers xx
Old 07-07-2006, 20:34   #5
Beacon of light

And we used to get our 'donkey stones' off the rag and bone man....so you can tell how many years ago that was. I think there is still a place in Skipton that you can buy them.
Old 07-07-2006, 20:35   #6
Resting in Peace

Hey, yes, this too Margaret some of the old remedies the best, aren't they?

Definintely got two good options now. ta very much.

Bet many of these fancy cleaners have the basis of these chemicals anyway, with the addition of fancy smells, fancy spray bottles and smells more pleasing to the nostrils

Last edited by katex; 07-07-2006 at 20:42.
Old 07-07-2006, 20:37   #7
Beacon of light

Yes definitely......wet your flag or steps before you put them down....at least with crystals you won't go A over T as they won't be slippery.
Old 07-07-2006, 20:46   #8
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington
Yes definitely......wet your flag or steps before you put them down....at least with crystals you won't go A over T as they won't be slippery.
Remember them being slippery and loved walking through them to hear the crunch under my shoes, bet they used to rot the soles though .. leather in those days, of course. Maybe would get sued now if out on the public pavement.
Old 07-07-2006, 21:29   #9
white rabbits

soda crystals are brilliant,,,for paths,,especialy if they are going green..
Old 08-07-2006, 00:58   #10
Senior Member+

I'd forgotten all about donkey stones. My Nana used to send me out to the rag and bone man for them. Mop the step and the pavement and then draw a nice yellow line. I don't suppose it happens now.

I had to get 'dolly blue' too, which went into the boiler and made all the whites, whiter than white!

Thank you for reminding me............a little chuckle before bed!

So much muck to eat before you die
junetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2006, 04:39   #11
God Member

For all you ladies 'of a certain age'. Have a read at this:
http://www.howlingdog.pwp.blueyonder...key_stones.htm

Do not take life too seriously. You will never get out of it alive.
yerself is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2006, 05:36   #12
God Member

great link in previous post by yerself just curious to know if donkey stoning the front step was limited to Lancashire and maybe yorkshire , wonder how far south/north the custom was practised . Anyone know if the cockneys/brummies/geordies and those north of the border ever used them ?
one of my Grandmas favourite sayings ........."yons a dirty ****** , bloody idle to do her step"
re. Junettas reference to "dolly blue" ..... brings to mind the old copper boiler and the tin bath hanging up on the backyard wall and tippler toilets
steeljack is offline   Reply With Quote

« help | Odhu Ntinggo »

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..