Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   Crash Computers Chat (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f82/)
-   -   spybot (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f82/spybot-35976.html)

cherokee 06-01-2008 21:37

spybot

Few weeks back had a few probs with my pc so ran spybot and it came up with alsorts of stuff inc malware called win32 .agent.pz which i managed to clear .
however just done another check and this win32 thingy is still lingering , how / can i get rid of it .? Is it serious and what does it do?

I have zone alarm , spybot and adaware on my pc and all seem to do a good job of protecting bar this one thing thats hatched itself to my files..

cashman 06-01-2008 22:31

Re: spybot

sorry aint a clue, but i have spybot, and also ccleaner, which i was told by a guy that runs a site is better, have used for about 8 months now before n after spybot to see which is best, if i run spybot AFTER ccleaner there is always nothing, when i did it the other way round there was always there was always stuff still left which ccleaner picked up. worth trying cos theres a free version.:)

cherokee 06-01-2008 22:33

cheers cashy will look into it . was hoping ian would be on as he may know about this win 32.

keetah992000 07-01-2008 00:30

AVG is a programme i use - it either heals or deletes any viruses - not sure if it only for viruses though-it is free so worth a go .

keetah992000 07-01-2008 00:32

AVG Anti-Virus and Internet Security - Products
think that is link - it even detects viruses real time if you downloading something. I am sure entwisi could advise you further x good luck

Neil 07-01-2008 00:34

If you suspect you have spyware on your machine make sure you don't do any only shopping where you might enter passwords credit card details etc.

cherokee 07-01-2008 01:24

yeah i also have avg forgot to mention that.
what is the difference between spyware and malware???

entwisi 07-01-2008 06:59

Heh, Cherokee, I'm up at 5;30 for work so 22.37 is usually past my bedtime :D

AVG is purely Anti Virus.

Spyware/Malware is totally different to viruses.

With the joy( OK only if S&M is your thing) that is Windows you need protection on so many levels

AV
Firewall
Malware - programs that try to do damage or just hog system resources
Spyware - programs that report info back to comapnies e.g. how long onlibe, what sites you visit etc.

The problem is that it is nigh on impossible to find a single app that will do the job and in the case of malware/spyware you seem to need at least 2 apps of each type to get full coverage.

The one you mention is called Hi-Jack this and is a particularly nasty one. There are many articles about removal and I'm afraid they aren't easy for teh non techie user to follow. You effectively need to boot your PC without using the hard disk, so thats either your windows rescue disk or a Linux live CD, then in c:\windows\system32 there is a file called ntos.exe remove it ( linux booted CD) or rename it to ntos.aaa( Windows booted). On reboot, if you had to rename it then now run a fully upadted Spybot and it should remove it. If you used Linux your done.

cherokee 07-01-2008 17:50

Thanks Ian i will give it a go . will get back to you.

Just one thing though this system dont have a start/boot disc . it came with all that already installed in the start menu will that make a difference?

entwisi 07-01-2008 20:17

so you haven't any rescue disks? Every PC with legitimate copy of Windows should come with some form of rescue disk

You will struggle without them unless you do the Linux route

WillowTheWhisp 07-01-2008 20:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by entwisi (Post 514063)
so you haven't any rescue disks? Every PC with legitimate copy of Windows should come with some form of rescue disk

You will struggle without them unless you do the Linux route

I didn't get any discs with my brand new laptop. All I have is a picture of a CD which says "Restore your system without discs - your computer includes a new system recovery feature that does not require CDs or DVDs"

I am not exactly impressed by this but it's something you don't know until you've got the thing home and started setting it up.

entwisi 07-01-2008 20:29

so when your hard disk dies just how are you going to restore it.

You should be able to pop a new disk in and restore to it

MargaretR 07-01-2008 20:45

My last two computers have been Dell which never supply an OS installation disc.
Whilst still under guarantee, (fortunately, ) I lost power supply during a System Restore, and got the message that my version of Windows was not legit and would not load.

I lost everything -and Dell talked me through the wipe out and reformatt - this was free because of the guarantee but would have cost me otherwise.
I dont think I will buy Dell next time.

cherokee 07-01-2008 21:29

All i have in my menu (all programmes) is packard bell system recovery and it reformats from that .

davo69 07-01-2008 21:55

mine as angel in it what ever that is