Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Technical & User to User help > Crash Computers Chat
Donate! Join Today

Crash Computers Chat Let's talk computers! Got a problem with your computer? Need some advice? Got any great tips?

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-01-2008, 21:37   #1
God Member

spybot

Few weeks back had a few probs with my pc so ran spybot and it came up with alsorts of stuff inc malware called win32 .agent.pz which i managed to clear .
however just done another check and this win32 thingy is still lingering , how / can i get rid of it .? Is it serious and what does it do?

I have zone alarm , spybot and adaware on my pc and all seem to do a good job of protecting bar this one thing thats hatched itself to my files..
cherokee is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 06-01-2008, 22:31   #2
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Re: spybot

sorry aint a clue, but i have spybot, and also ccleaner, which i was told by a guy that runs a site is better, have used for about 8 months now before n after spybot to see which is best, if i run spybot AFTER ccleaner there is always nothing, when i did it the other way round there was always there was always stuff still left which ccleaner picked up. worth trying cos theres a free version.
Old 06-01-2008, 22:33   #3
God Member

cheers cashy will look into it . was hoping ian would be on as he may know about this win 32.
Old 07-01-2008, 00:30   #4
I am Banned

AVG is a programme i use - it either heals or deletes any viruses - not sure if it only for viruses though-it is free so worth a go .
keetah992000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 00:32   #5
I am Banned

AVG Anti-Virus and Internet Security - Products
think that is link - it even detects viruses real time if you downloading something. I am sure entwisi could advise you further x good luck
keetah992000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 00:34   #6
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

If you suspect you have spyware on your machine make sure you don't do any only shopping where you might enter passwords credit card details etc.
Old 07-01-2008, 01:24   #7
God Member

yeah i also have avg forgot to mention that.
what is the difference between spyware and malware???
Old 07-01-2008, 06:59   #8
God Member

Heh, Cherokee, I'm up at 5;30 for work so 22.37 is usually past my bedtime

AVG is purely Anti Virus.

Spyware/Malware is totally different to viruses.

With the joy( OK only if S&M is your thing) that is Windows you need protection on so many levels

AV
Firewall
Malware - programs that try to do damage or just hog system resources
Spyware - programs that report info back to comapnies e.g. how long onlibe, what sites you visit etc.

The problem is that it is nigh on impossible to find a single app that will do the job and in the case of malware/spyware you seem to need at least 2 apps of each type to get full coverage.

The one you mention is called Hi-Jack this and is a particularly nasty one. There are many articles about removal and I'm afraid they aren't easy for teh non techie user to follow. You effectively need to boot your PC without using the hard disk, so thats either your windows rescue disk or a Linux live CD, then in c:\windows\system32 there is a file called ntos.exe remove it ( linux booted CD) or rename it to ntos.aaa( Windows booted). On reboot, if you had to rename it then now run a fully upadted Spybot and it should remove it. If you used Linux your done.

Technical God, No 1 Geek And Linux Guru

Have you seen my Flickr pictures?

entwisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 17:50   #9
God Member

Thanks Ian i will give it a go . will get back to you.

Just one thing though this system dont have a start/boot disc . it came with all that already installed in the start menu will that make a difference?

Last edited by cherokee; 07-01-2008 at 17:53.
Old 07-01-2008, 20:17   #10
God Member

so you haven't any rescue disks? Every PC with legitimate copy of Windows should come with some form of rescue disk

You will struggle without them unless you do the Linux route

Old 07-01-2008, 20:21   #11
Resident Waffler

Quote:
Originally Posted by entwisi View Post
so you haven't any rescue disks? Every PC with legitimate copy of Windows should come with some form of rescue disk

You will struggle without them unless you do the Linux route

I didn't get any discs with my brand new laptop. All I have is a picture of a CD which says "Restore your system without discs - your computer includes a new system recovery feature that does not require CDs or DVDs"

I am not exactly impressed by this but it's something you don't know until you've got the thing home and started setting it up.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 20:29   #12
God Member

so when your hard disk dies just how are you going to restore it.

You should be able to pop a new disk in and restore to it

Old 07-01-2008, 20:45   #13
God Member

My last two computers have been Dell which never supply an OS installation disc.
Whilst still under guarantee, (fortunately, ) I lost power supply during a System Restore, and got the message that my version of Windows was not legit and would not load.

I lost everything -and Dell talked me through the wipe out and reformatt - this was free because of the guarantee but would have cost me otherwise.
I dont think I will buy Dell next time.

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 21:29   #14
God Member

All i have in my menu (all programmes) is packard bell system recovery and it reformats from that .
Old 07-01-2008, 21:55   #15

mine as angel in it what ever that is

Tags
antivirus, spyware

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..