Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Technical & User to User help > Crash Computers Chat
Donate! Join Today

Crash Computers Chat Let's talk computers! Got a problem with your computer? Need some advice? Got any great tips?

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 22-06-2010, 21:27   #1
God Member

A very clever spam

Be very careful.

I got a phone call today from a man who said that he was from Microsoft. He said that he could tell that my software was compromised, that my IP address showed some unusual activity which meant that a few Trojans had got through. He asked if my computer was going a bit slower than usual. He asked if my antivirus was up to date. As it happens, by coincidence, I actually knew that my antivirus needed updating.

Anyway he was quite believable.

Then he said that to fix the problem all I had to do was carry out a sequence of key strokes. At that point I told him that I would close down my computer and get my antivirus updated. He insisted that I should do what he asked me to do. Again I refused and told him what I would actually do. Then he hung up.

It was all quite plausible.

The views expressed within this post are mine and mine alone.

Gayle is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 22-06-2010, 22:21   #2
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Re: A very clever spam

theres some devious gets about Gayle, but does yer anti virus not scan n update daily? have mine set to do that.
Old 23-06-2010, 05:11   #3
God Member

heh I'd love him to call me......

Technical God, No 1 Geek And Linux Guru

Have you seen my Flickr pictures?

entwisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2010, 08:28   #4
Beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by entwisi View Post
I'd love him to call you too.......I am sure you would run rings around him.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2010, 09:49   #5
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gayle View Post
Be very careful.

I got a phone call today from a man who said that he was from Microsoft. He said that he could tell that my software was compromised, that my IP address showed some unusual activity which meant that a few Trojans had got through. He asked if my computer was going a bit slower than usual. He asked if my antivirus was up to date. As it happens, by coincidence, I actually knew that my antivirus needed updating.

Anyway he was quite believable.

Then he said that to fix the problem all I had to do was carry out a sequence of key strokes. At that point I told him that I would close down my computer and get my antivirus updated. He insisted that I should do what he asked me to do. Again I refused and told him what I would actually do. Then he hung up.

It was all quite plausible.
Nice one Gayle, I had the same gentleman on myself last week, well I'm saying the same he had an Asian accent, I let him go through his spiel, you know were they throw Mr Farrer in after every sentence, I just told him my PC is fully protected I am having no problems, so SOD OFF phone down, the cheeky git rang back and had another go, this time I changed the first word of my two word sign off
Old 23-06-2010, 10:02   #6
God Member

I got a spam e-mail the other day from a bot posing as someone from HMRC. Obviously the charade was clear rather early on as HMRC haven't got that e-mail address and I was addressed as 'Dear Applicant'. However the e-mail went on to give instructions on how to claim back gazillions in back-taxes, as long as I give over certain information. Straight in the spam folder it goes...
Worrying, though, when you think some will fall for crap like that.
shakermaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2010, 10:18   #7
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by shakermaker View Post
I got a spam e-mail the other day from a bot posing as someone from HMRC. Obviously the charade was clear rather early on as HMRC haven't got that e-mail address and I was addressed as 'Dear Applicant'. However the e-mail went on to give instructions on how to claim back gazillions in back-taxes, as long as I give over certain information. Straight in the spam folder it goes...
Worrying, though, when you think some will fall for crap like that.
I keep getting Emails supposedly from an American shipping company who say they have tried to deliver a package to my home and there was no one in (I'm in 24/7) it then goes on and asks me to down load an invoice and then collect the package from their depot. For a start never heard of the firm and I haven't ordered anything anyway, yet they keep trying, I must have had about 6 of these Emails in the last three months, in fact the latest one was only this morning
Old 23-06-2010, 10:37   #8
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

I had a phone call from Jackie the other day, she had a strange accent for a Jackie.
The conversation went something like this.

Jackie
Hello my name is Jackie I am from ......

Neil
Your names not Jackie

Jackie
Yes it is......

Neil
No it not, whats your real name

Jackie (she started again)
Hello my na(then she stopped) I am from such and such......

Neil
Why should I speak to you when you are lying about your name?

Jackie went quiet then so I put the phone down laughing
Old 23-06-2010, 10:50   #9
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
I had a phone call from Jackie the other day, she had a strange accent for a Jackie.
The conversation went something like this.

Jackie
Hello my name is Jackie I am from ......

Neil
Your names not Jackie

Jackie
Yes it is......

Neil
No it not, whats your real name

Jackie (she started again)
Hello my na(then she stopped) I am from such and such......

Neil
Why should I speak to you when you are lying about your name?

Jackie went quiet then so I put the phone down laughing
Ya little Tinker Neil
Old 23-06-2010, 11:07   #10
God Member

I once needed a Dell PC reformatting and was guided through it by the Dell technical support helpline.

At one stage the engineer took control of my PC (with my consent) and I was amazed to see him doing things remotely whilst I just watched.

The caller who contacted Gayle appears to be attempting to induce people to volunteer for that degree of intrusion, and thereby having access to anything on your PC.

When I allowed it, it was to a Dell engineer whom I had telephoned, and the access was done after my hard drive had been wiped clean.

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2010, 16:24   #11
God Member

They phoned again today!!!!!

The views expressed within this post are mine and mine alone.

Gayle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2010, 17:02   #12

Write down the keystrokes they are asking you to do if they phone again.
mattylad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2010, 17:02   #13
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by entwisi View Post
lol and him mention that hes from microsoft.... You can say, well i work for linux goodbye
Old 24-06-2010, 09:29   #14

I'd have to have a bit of fun with such a caller, as well. The "sequence of keystrokes" is probably to start up the remote assistance feature, or a link to a compromised website. I'd say I'm entering the details, while brewing up...

Then I'd see how much effort he put into "computer support" trying to establish why he can't hack into the PC. When he's finally losing the will to live, I'd say "Oh wait a minute - it's not switched on"

Studio25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2010, 10:14   #15
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by MargaretR View Post
I once needed a Dell PC reformatting and was guided through it by the Dell technical support helpline.

At one stage the engineer took control of my PC (with my consent) and I was amazed to see him doing things remotely whilst I just watched.

The caller who contacted Gayle appears to be attempting to induce people to volunteer for that degree of intrusion, and thereby having access to anything on your PC.

When I allowed it, it was to a Dell engineer whom I had telephoned, and the access was done after my hard drive had been wiped clean.
Dell did that with me too Margaret, watching the cursor move about on the screen by itself was very strange, but better than me clod hoping about about not knowing what I was doing

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..