Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Technical & User to User help > Crash Computers Chat
Donate! Join Today

Crash Computers Chat Let's talk computers! Got a problem with your computer? Need some advice? Got any great tips?

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-02-2005, 10:29   #1
Senior Member+

Attachments

Please could someone tell me why i cant view attachments in my email, i've had a couple off different people but when i try to open them it's not working.
Old 12-02-2005, 12:17   #2
Resident Waffler

Re: Attachments

Have you got any in-built restrictions with your email service? For instance I have all images and links disabled but can select to enable them if I know they are something safe.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2005, 12:40   #3

have you changed anything in your internet settings or installed a new toolbar ?
Old 12-02-2005, 14:38   #4

what program are you using to read your email and what type of attachement is it that your tying to open? Is the attachment opening at all or are they blocked. A little more info would help here.
Old 12-02-2005, 16:13   #5
God Member

I guess it will be Outlook Express. There is a setting that disables teh ability to open attachments. Have a look in Tools, OPtions

Ian
entwisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2005, 17:17   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by entwisi
I guess it will be Outlook Express. There is a setting that disables teh ability to open attachments. Have a look in Tools, OPtions

Ian
could be outlook for that matter rather than express it has the same attachment disabling only its rather more a pain in the ass. it could also be that the file type is not associated with any recognisable software and cant open it at all hence my questions :P
Old 13-02-2005, 11:05   #7
Senior Member+

Thanks for your help, it's all sorted now. Ian, it was what you said, the setting was disabled.
Old 13-02-2005, 17:12   #8

cool, i see it was the micrsoft method of protection, if all else fails disable everything. No option to simple disable that which you dont want.

Quote:
Originally Posted by janet
Thanks for your help, it's all sorted now. Ian, it was what you said, the setting was disabled.
Old 13-02-2005, 18:38   #9
God Member

The big problem with Microsoft is that they have a problem differentiating between open and execute. That and trying to 'enrich' our experience by adding features that are often a wonderful route for those who wish to do damage.
Old 14-02-2005, 13:51   #10
Senior Member+

I use Outlook for 2 reasons. The main one being is that it is far better than Outlook Express by a long chalk. Importing and exporting using OE is a complete nightmare, as is a lot of other functions. The only thing I don't use in Outlook is the journal.

I have also heard that there are problems with security on OE, which is another reason why I steer clear.

I guess it's all down to what you are used to - I have been using Outlook for a number of years now

vorlon24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2005, 18:58   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by vorlon24
I use Outlook for 2 reasons. The main one being is that it is far better than Outlook Express by a long chalk. Importing and exporting using OE is a complete nightmare, as is a lot of other functions. The only thing I don't use in Outlook is the journal.

I have also heard that there are problems with security on OE, which is another reason why I steer clear.

I guess it's all down to what you are used to - I have been using Outlook for a number of years now
only one word springs to mind "THUNDERBIRD" find it here http://www.mozilla.org/products/thunderbird/
Old 14-02-2005, 22:01   #12
God Member

Or for those of us blessed with Linux, ..... Evolution with spamassassin.
Old 15-02-2005, 07:13   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by entwisi
Or for those of us blessed with Linux, ..... Evolution with spamassassin.
i am blessed with linux, however my CAD software that i need for everyday use is not so i tend to use it for all servers and on the laptop needs must im afraid .
Old 15-02-2005, 09:13   #14
Senior Member+

Is this spamassassin 100% foolproof, though?

Going back to Thunderbird - I have a mobile phone with Windows Mobile on it, which is compatible with Outlook diary/tasks, etc.

Another reason to stick with what I've got!

vorlon24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2005, 09:32   #15
God Member

I have an email address that is widely used on Usenet/ websites and as contact details so I do get rather a lot of spam, usually ~3-400 a day. SA on average lets 2-3 through to my inbox, I have yet to have a false positive. Not 100% but not far off.

You can get SA for windows as well, it is just a bit more difficult to set up.

Ian

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..