Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Technical & User to User help > Crash Computers Chat
Donate! Join Today

Crash Computers Chat Let's talk computers! Got a problem with your computer? Need some advice? Got any great tips?

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 14-02-2013, 22:53   #16
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Re: BT Infinity-worth the extra?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Restless View Post
Claytoner!

Hey my mum is on BT infinity. So you might be able to get the faster speed with talk talk....

1ms ping!!!

He tested it on the Preston server and he is 60 miles away.
I can ftp from him at very nice speeds as in this picture, that's a 735,557,632 byte file downloading in about 9 1/2 minutes using Filezilla at this end and server is a DNS-320 NAS box at the other end. File name rubbed out intentionally

Attached Images
File Type: jpg dl.jpg (8.6 KB, 69 views)
Old 15-02-2013, 17:40   #17
Senior Member+

Nice...

Just got the Google Nexus 4... you would love it!
Old 15-02-2013, 19:42   #18
Beacon of light

So have you kicked the Kindle Fire into touch then Rob?
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2013, 19:53   #19
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!

Quote:
Nice...

Just got the Google Nexus 4... you would love it!
I like my SGS3 and for a tablet I have a Note 10.1 which I tether to my phone for internet when needed
Old 15-02-2013, 23:26   #20
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
I like my SGS3 and for a tablet I have a Note 10.1 which I tether to my phone for internet when needed
I had a 9" JXB(from china) I gave it to my mum when I got the Kindle. The extra screen space is nice but the tablet was low spec and wow you really do notice a big difference on an android device with the higher specs.

Nice s3. My friend has one of those. Are you a Samsung fan or is it just coincidence that s3 and note(or was it contract package deal)?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
So have you kicked the Kindle Fire into touch then Rob?
I have managed to root the Kindle Fire HD. After rooting there is an app you can download that does all the work to get an alternative launcher installed and get play store installed.

Then I used a script that was designed to stop automatic updates. You don't get a choice to say no to the kindle to stop the updates from happening, the device just turned off and updated! If that happens Root would be lost.

By rooting and installing a custom launcher etc it breaks the book apps that the kindle was originally designed for. This was warned but since I won't use the Kindle to read books and that I use it as a Tablet(well it is a tablet afterall) this does't bother me.
Old 16-02-2013, 07:14   #21
Beacon of light

You see when you can do all those things it does help to customise a device to your own needs...but forgive me for saying this.....wouldn't it have been easier just to buy a tablet in the first place...or is it that you like a challenge in life?
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2013, 08:27   #22
Senior Member+

No haha karma for that one. It is a tablet! It being modified and locked up the way it is tries to convince people it is a Kindle and not a Tablet. Though convinced will prob be 100% happy with it

No. But some android developers do like a challenge. So I am safe to hope that sometime soon somebody will release a guide to an easy way to get cyanogenmod mod to be flashed on the Kindle. I like the Kindle as it is now so I am happy to wait.

I never bought it because I wanted a device to read books. I can do that with any android device I have come across. I wasn't expecting the Kindle to have a version of android to be so heavily modified by amazon. I never read up on it in detail beforehand. It was an impulse buy for sure.
Old 16-02-2013, 14:17   #23
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!

Quote:
Nice s3. My friend has one of those. Are you a Samsung fan or is it just coincidence that s3 and note(or was it contract package deal)?
Not a Samsung fan no, I had an S2 before the S3 but picked them for features. The top end HTC's have fixed batteries and no sd card slot. I use both on the S3

I like the digitising pen on the Note, I didn't think I would use it and bought the Note for its specs but find I use the pen a lot
Old 16-02-2013, 15:50   #24
Senior Member+

The samsung has a stylus pen that has a fine point right? That's a good feature.

Fixed battery. That's one the downsides to the neuxs4
Old 19-02-2013, 10:22   #25
Senior Member+

I went on the BT site to look at Infinity. You can run a test to see if your PC can handle it.
AllI can get is ' Platform not supported'.
Is this because I only have 512MB RAM or old computers(2004) just not up to it?
Gordon Booth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2013, 11:16   #26
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Booth View Post
I went on the BT site to look at Infinity. You can run a test to see if your PC can handle it.
AllI can get is ' Platform not supported'.
Is this because I only have 512MB RAM or old computers(2004) just not up to it?
Sorry, I was checking if I could go to Windows 8, not Infinity.
The requirements for 8 say it needs 2 GB of RAM.
Old 19-02-2013, 17:47   #27
Resting in Peace

I've had it for a few months now and on Friday had my Sky Box wired to the Internet, on Saturday when my daughter was here she said her Sky Box is connected to the internet but she only has ordinary broad band and it took 2 hours to download an half hour program, I've just tested mine and I downloaded 4 one and a half episodes of Lewis as a experiment, it took around 10 minutes to download the lot about 6 hours total, when you start downloading you can start watching the program virtually straight away and the good thing is if it's from a channel that use adverts, they're cut out so no need to use the fast forward for adverts
jaysay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2013, 18:34   #28
Senior Member+

Yeah essential if you use it for streaming or you download a lot and essential for things like skys ondemand services.. make you you are on an uncapped connection

Gordon time for an upgrade perhaps
Old 19-02-2013, 18:42   #29
Senior Member+

Quote:

Gordon time for an upgrade perhaps
I think you're right, Restless. I rang up Dell technical today(Heaven knows what that cost) and they said even if I added RAM the whole setup couldn't use Windows 8. By the time I've paid for RAM,Windows 8 and whatever else I'll need I'll still have my old clunker but I'll be well on the way to a new PC in terms of spend.
Problem is-which?
Old 19-02-2013, 18:46   #30
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Booth View Post
I think you're right, Restless. I rang up Dell technical today(Heaven knows what that cost) and they said even if I added RAM the whole setup couldn't use Windows 8. By the time I've paid for RAM,Windows 8 and whatever else I'll need I'll still have my old clunker but I'll be well on the way to a new PC in terms of spend.
Problem is-which?
I've just bought a Dell 17" laptop for £370 including PaP windows 8, great machine this is my 5 Dell computer Gordon I like them
jaysay is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..