Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Technical & User to User help > Crash Computers Chat
Donate! Join Today

Crash Computers Chat Let's talk computers! Got a problem with your computer? Need some advice? Got any great tips?

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 19-02-2013, 22:15   #31
Senior Member+

Re: BT Infinity-worth the extra?

Prob best total upgrade. New machine altogether. It seems like I upgrade every 3-4 years. How people make them last 10 is beyond me but then again. I am unlucky. I had a pc blow because of a power cut. £600 down the drain

Are you using XP or win7. Do you own an original copy? If so you can upgrade for £50. Why do you want Windows8 ? Just wondering... I would find someone that has it and try it for yourself before deciding on getting it

I am just building a PC to go under my TV. I ordered this case.
Powercool HTPC-006 Aluminium HTPC Desktop Case w/ Remote - Cases - Large Image from A One Distribution
Had to be specific in size to fit in the space on the tv stand...

Last edited by Restless; 19-02-2013 at 22:20.
Restless is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 20-02-2013, 12:39   #32
Senior Member+

I have XP, Restless. I was a little worried that it won't be supported for security updates after next April but someone said if I carry on using Norton that will cover me. Is this so?
The XP came with the PC(Dell) so I have(somewhere) the original info.
You obviously have mixed feelings about Windows 8. Why?
I just thought to get the latest Windows, take advantage of BT Infinity and get something a little faster a new PC( or laptop) might be a good idea. After all 8 years is very old for a computer. And now I've started looking???
Gordon Booth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2013, 13:00   #33
Rest in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Booth View Post
I have XP, Restless. I was a little worried that it won't be supported for security updates after next April but someone said if I carry on using Norton that will cover me. Is this so?
The XP came with the PC(Dell) so I have(somewhere) the original info.
You obviously have mixed feelings about Windows 8. Why?
I just thought to get the latest Windows, take advantage of BT Infinity and get something a little faster a new PC( or laptop) might be a good idea. After all 8 years is very old for a computer. And now I've started looking???
I would think that's your best move Gordon, better safe than sorry.
claytonx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2013, 13:08   #34
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Do you need the extra speed you should get with infinity?
Don't confuse internet speed with PC speed. You might be assuming web pages are slow because of your internet connection but it could be your PC that is being slow.
If not then why pay more money for something you may not use?
Restless likes this.
Old 20-02-2013, 13:33   #35
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
Do you need the extra speed you should get with infinity?
Don't confuse internet speed with PC speed. You might be assuming web pages are slow because of your internet connection but it could be your PC that is being slow.
If not then why pay more money for something you may not use?
Of course you're right, Neil. For what I do I probably don't need Infinity or even Windows 8.If I can run iplayer, get Amazon, BBC news, Accyweb and a few emails I'm happy.
But it's a 'toys for boys' thing! Once you start looking at bigger, better, faster you lose common sense.
At the moment the cost of a new computer is holding me back from doing something hasty!
Gordon Booth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2013, 17:00   #36
Senior Member+

New pc. Change choice of virus killer (Norton sucks for resource hogging) it's about time I think. You don't really need infinity right now and in time it will be cheaper
Old 20-02-2013, 17:09   #37
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Booth View Post
Of course you're right, Neil. For what I do I probably don't need Infinity or even Windows 8.If I can run iplayer, get Amazon, BBC news, Accyweb and a few emails I'm happy.
But it's a 'toys for boys' thing! Once you start looking at bigger, better, faster you lose common sense.
At the moment the cost of a new computer is holding me back from doing something hasty!
Well I'm glad I got infinity Gordon, now I've got Sky anytime, and my computer is like grease lightning, I'm quite happy with infinity
jaysay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2013, 17:11   #38
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Restless View Post
New pc. Change choice of virus killer (Norton sucks for resource hogging) it's about time I think. You don't really need infinity right now and in time it will be cheaper
I got rid of Norton a long time ago, have been on Bullguard for about 3 years now, and I'm quite happy with it
Old 21-02-2013, 07:02   #39
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
Well I'm glad I got infinity Gordon, now I've got Sky anytime, and my computer is like grease lightning, I'm quite happy with infinity
What is like grease lightning? You probably only use a browser and for a forum like this you wont see much speed increase from an increase in broadband speed unless your original speed was pathetic. Then again you are in Ossy with BT so you were probably getting a pathetic speed.

I hate all this upto in broadband speeds its a con. They should install it and if you only get 2Mb then they should charge you less. Why should people pay the same money for vastly different speeds just because of the poor BT network?

As for Sky on demand - can you start watching an on demand program instantly or do you have to wait while it downloads?
With virgin you just find it in the list, click play and your watching it in a couple of seconds just like youtube on a pc
Restless likes this.
Old 21-02-2013, 07:06   #40
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
I got rid of Norton a long time ago, have been on Bullguard for about 3 years now, and I'm quite happy with it
I agree that Norton is not good and really slows your machine down. If you have a slow PC it should go. I would recommend the free version of Avast. Download it from here avast! Free Antivirus | Download Antivirus Protection Software
It will keep asking if you want to upgrade to a paid version, just keep selecting the option for the free version. I use it on all our PC's and have not had a virus problem since starting to use it. I think it was Accyman who recommended it 4 or 5 years ago.
Old 21-02-2013, 07:34   #41
Senior Member+

I use the McAfee Net Guard which is free with infinity
maxthecollie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2013, 07:55   #42
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!

I used to be a McAfee fan and it was all I used. In my opinion it went the same way as Norton, I was a Norton fan before Mcafee
Old 21-02-2013, 09:00   #43
Resting in Peace

Quote:
What is like grease lightning? You probably only use a browser and for a forum like this you wont see much speed increase from an increase in broadband speed unless your original speed was pathetic. Then again you are in Ossy with BT so you were probably getting a pathetic speed.

I hate all this upto in broadband speeds its a con. They should install it and if you only get 2Mb then they should charge you less. Why should people pay the same money for vastly different speeds just because of the poor BT network?

As for Sky on demand - can you start watching an on demand program instantly or do you have to wait while it downloads?
With virgin you just find it in the list, click play and your watching it in a couple of seconds just like youtube on a pc
You can watch it almost immediately Neil, it actually say available to watch after its down loaded about 3% takes very little time to download, an hour program is about 70 seconds. the reason I said its like grease When I log on first think in a morning one touch and its there, rather quicker than it was before
Old 21-02-2013, 09:04   #44
Resting in Peace

Quote:
I agree that Norton is not good and really slows your machine down. If you have a slow PC it should go. I would recommend the free version of Avast. Download it from here avast! Free Antivirus | Download Antivirus Protection Software
It will keep asking if you want to upgrade to a paid version, just keep selecting the option for the free version. I use it on all our PC's and have not had a virus problem since starting to use it. I think it was Accyman who recommended it 4 or 5 years ago.
I've been using Bullguard about four years and its never let me down, it informs me or tells me its stopped anything trying to sneak into my computer I'm quite happy with it
Old 21-02-2013, 09:06   #45
Resting in Peace

Quote:
I used to be a McAfee fan and it was all I used. In my opinion it went the same way as Norton, I was a Norton fan before Mcafee
Ya Dell recommend Mcafee, but have replaced it with Bullguard on my new Dell laptop,

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..