Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Technical & User to User help > Crash Computers Chat
Donate! Join Today

Crash Computers Chat Let's talk computers! Got a problem with your computer? Need some advice? Got any great tips?

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 16-07-2004, 17:58   #1

Thumbs up Bug Killers

I find most people who surf alot have problems with spyware, viruses, browser help objects, popups and hackers. So i have created a CD with free programs to kill spyware and virus ect. Has anyone used any of these programs or found any better ones?

Or yes, if anyone would like a copy of this CD please just ask or send a PM (just replace it with a blank). These program are all free and legal, only one has a part demo.

Spybot 1.3 - anti spyware (nice and easy no messing)
AVG FREE Edition - anti virus (free but needs registration)
Firefox 0.9.1 - Browser (very user friendly with anti popup built in)
BHO Demon 2.0 - disables browser help objects (works fine but the program is constantly being updated at the moment)
TZ connection booster - speeds up internet (puts in the settings for your type of connection)
Kerio 4.0.16 - firewall (has a web filter but only lasts for 30 days, firewall continues to work fine, nice firewall lets you see wots going on but turn off the system security-too much hassle)
PC Wizard 2004 - powerful system information utility (tells u everything u need 2 no & much more, has a nice benchmarker as well)
Shoot the messenger - pop up messenger killer (disables messages sent 2 your pc no longer needed if u keep your msn messenger up 2 date)
Service pack 2 - Windows XP SP2 RC2 Issues Build 2149 (like the firewall and the anti pop up for internet explorer)

Have a few more update on awell, please let me know if u need instructions installing. Hope this helps people.
Old 16-07-2004, 19:00   #2
Resident Waffler

Re: Bug Killers

Nice idea to share that CD with people. I use adaware.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2004, 19:05   #3
mez
God Member

good idea steve, but youve already loaded them all on mine //
Old 16-07-2004, 22:33   #4
Accy Red

Cricket Challenge Champion!

I also use ad-aware and win-patrol but I like your idea.

"At a football club, there's a holy trinity - the players, the manager and the supporters. Directors don't come into it. They're only there to sign cheques." - Bill Shankly
Bagpuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2004, 22:57   #5

Cool Re: Bug Killers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bagpuss
I also use ad-aware and win-patrol but I like your idea.
Quote:
Originally Posted by WillowTheWhisp
Nice idea to share that CD with people. I use adaware.
I have used AD-aware and then run spybot after which found even more. I now use spybot and some times Spy Sweeper which finds loads, but do not yet have confidence in Spy Sweeper not to mess up my pc. Tell me if iam wrong but does Adaware try to get you to buy a more advance version (but then again who isn't trying to get money in one way or another). I do think they all do a good job considering they are free.

http://www.lavasoftusa.com/software/adaware/
http://www.safer-networking.org/en/home/index.html
http://www.webroot.com/wb/products/spysweeper/index.php

Last edited by computersteve; 17-07-2004 at 09:42.
computersteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2004, 23:05   #6
Accy Red

Never had any pops up from ad-aware trying to get me to upgrade. Win Patrol is excellent and has stopped a few things from installing themselves on my PC but I'm always on the look out for new stuff to try.

"At a football club, there's a holy trinity - the players, the manager and the supporters. Directors don't come into it. They're only there to sign cheques." - Bill Shankly
Old 16-07-2004, 23:09   #7

Thumbs up Re: Bug Killers

Thanks bagpuss, I'll give Win Patrol a go, see if i find any more after running spybot !!!!. Is it free to use and upgrade???

Last edited by computersteve; 17-07-2004 at 09:43.
Old 19-07-2004, 22:25   #8
Accy Red

Ad-aware has now been replaced by Spybot, cheers for the tip.

Old 20-07-2004, 20:08   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bagpuss
Ad-aware has now been replaced by Spybot, cheers for the tip.
What AV are you using. I always used norton but it got to be a pain in the ass. I now use AVG which when i install it found viruses norton did not, plus its free. Nice one AVG http://free.grisoft.com/freeweb.php
Old 20-07-2004, 20:22   #10
Accy Red

Used McAfee for about 4/5 years now, I would recomend it to anyone, it's all done on the net with downloads so no silly discs. I have just checked and my subscription still has 9 months to run. I've never had a virus or any bug infect my computers McAfee has stopped them all.
Old 20-07-2004, 20:25   #11

Nice one, still get viruses sometimes but AVG works ok

Last edited by computersteve; 20-07-2004 at 22:29.
Old 31-08-2004, 19:46   #12
Junior Member+

I also use AVG free edition - why use anything else when this does the job so well!?!
I use agnitum outpost firewall free at the moment (probably not set correctly!!), but I have been thinking about changing to kerio since Pc pro rated it so highly.

I have recently upgraded adaware 6 to SE personal and spybot to v1.3 (I think). The new adaware seems really good - it seems to have a more detailed scan, and finds more bits of rubbish. Spybot doesn't seem to find anything after adaware has finished. Curiously though, Spy sweeper finds things adaware 6 claimed to have got rid of (though I haven't checked it with adaware se personal yet). Surely Spy sweeper has to one of THE killer programs - if only you weren't limited to 1 free update!!!!!!

I also use spyware blaster, mru blaster, startup monitor and hijack this!!!!! (Paranoid? Me? Who said i'm paranoid?)

Tis a great idea putting them on a cd though - the amount of time you spend downloading these programs - there are other things you could be doing!!!!!!
Old 01-09-2004, 11:48   #13
God Member

Apart from the obvious you don't get spyware and viruses with LInux

A Firewall is only as good as its setup. Goto www.grc.com and run the 'Shields Up' tests to see how secure your PC is.

Ian
entwisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2004, 23:31   #14
Always EVIL within us

I personally think Ad-aware is the best you can get. I have mine set to "custom" settings which almost doubles the files and folders searched!
They also email me to advise that a new ref. file is available. You can't get better from a free program.
I always use "spy sweeper" as well just in case, but it has yet to find anything that Ad-aware has missed.
Busman747 is offline   Reply With Quote

« help | Windows XP »

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..