Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Technical & User to User help > Crash Computers Chat
Donate! Join Today

Crash Computers Chat Let's talk computers! Got a problem with your computer? Need some advice? Got any great tips?

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-06-2005, 12:35   #1
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Firefox 1.0.4

Firefox 1.0.4
This is the latest update that I have had from them and since i have installed it after about 15 mins I have a problem with it, what happens is that if say you change pages the url changes but the screen stays the same (no update) however if I scroll down and then back up miracle of miracles the new page is displayed!

I have tried re-installing this update and going back to an earlier version (1.0.2 & 1.0.3) the problem persists. I have had to resort to using internet explorer which is stable.

I've looked on mozillas' web site but haven't been able to find any reference to any problems with this version, anyone else having problems with it?
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 09-06-2005, 14:17   #2
Resting in Peace

Re: Firefox 1.0.4

Less
I am not having a problem at all with firefox 1.0.4 ................I DONT USE IT !!! hehe
but in this weeks computeractive there is a bit about it and there is a update but not sure if its to do with your problem
will drop it off for you sat
Mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2005, 14:59   #3
Roy
Administrator

I've got firefox 1.0.4 running on windows xp, fedora and suse linux all without a problem. It sounds as though maybe some of your display drivers may have become corrupted..?
Roy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2005, 21:41   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy
I've got firefox 1.0.4 running on windows xp, fedora and suse linux all without a problem. It sounds as though maybe some of your display drivers may have become corrupted..?
I've tried Window doctor to check my pc according to that all is well!

as I said before all seemed well until shortly after the update & it's only after running firefox I have any probs', once the problem arises the only cure is a re-boot.
I've been using explorer (reluctantly) and the problem hasn't appeared all day!
Old 10-06-2005, 00:41   #5
land of hope and glory

Quote:
Originally Posted by Less
I've tried Window doctor to check my pc according to that all is well!

as I said before all seemed well until shortly after the update & it's only after running firefox I have any probs', once the problem arises the only cure is a re-boot.
I've been using explorer (reluctantly) and the problem hasn't appeared all day!
does that not tell you something less? get rid of the programme.If everything o.k. on internet explorer then why not?
staggeringman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2005, 06:21   #6
mez
God Member

well i must admit i cannot run firefox on my comp, mabe it has something to do with b/t broadband, less? im not sure but i took it off ages ago & all is well.
Old 10-06-2005, 12:39   #7
God Member

mea, There is absolutely no reason why you can't run FF on your PC. The requests it makes are standard http so BT broadband wouldn't have a clue whether it was IE, FF, or any other browser(Opera etc).

Less, your problem does sound like display drivers rather than FF. I have a similar issue at work excpet its IE that does it where FF is OK. Have you tried reinstalling your display drivers? It sounds like there is a dependancy somewhere that has become broken. A re-install should fix it. (IE probably makes a different call to the video driver to update what is being painted to screen hence it works whilst FF doesn't.)

For those who think we are FF pushers what I would like is only for people to try it. Have a go with tabbed browsing, Ad-blockers, ability to open all your favourite pages with one mouse click(or even by default at startup!), mouse gestures etc. Once you use these features you will find it very restrictive to move back to IE. IE hasn't been updated in over 4 years now( and by that I mean new releases with different codebase). That is a LONG time in this game.

Ian
entwisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2005, 22:20   #8

FF rulez. or sommat :P
Old 10-06-2005, 22:22   #9

actually even though i still use it ssince the 1.0.2 upgrade ive been having problems with it on both XP boxes at home. 50% of the time it doesnt start up properly it just kinda doesnt load anything. and i get the green updated image on the left of the menu bar instead of the right. when ff starts correctly you see it on the left for a breif moment which tells me that thats stalling right before then. The only plugin i am using both at home and work is the user agent switcher to get round those damn websites with poor outdated browser detection which restrict me from them like the national-lottery site for example. other than thats ive had no problems.
Old 11-06-2005, 04:53   #10
Roy
Administrator

hmmmm... problems with firefox on windows machines.... I smell a microsoft rat....
Roy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2005, 05:02   #11
mez
God Member

im on windows xp too.
Old 11-06-2005, 09:57   #12
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

I use Firefox on all my machines with Windows XP. I have no problems on any of them. I only use IE for my camera server because it uses some active x plugin that only works with IE.
Old 11-06-2005, 16:15   #13

Mick and I were talking down at the Stag, he put firefox on his p.c. today (just to see if he had prob's) and immediately smilies stopped working!

That reminded me that around the time I got the 1.0.4 update I downloaded the firefox link for smilies central (until then I couldn't use smilies with firefox) so I wonder........ if I remove smilies maybe things will work? I haven't time to do anything about it at the moment but will try deleting smilies just to see in the near future, I'll keep you posted.
Old 12-06-2005, 22:01   #14
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

had problems myself with firefox,uninstalled it and problems vanished,dont understand why cos dont understand computers.lol
Old 13-06-2005, 10:25   #15
Senior Member+

I use Firefox on both my Windows machines, and have not encountered any problems since upgrading.

There are websites that I use that I have to use IE, but it's not a major problem

vorlon24 is offline   Reply With Quote

« Llu | help please »

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..