Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Technical & User to User help > Crash Computers Chat
Donate! Join Today

Crash Computers Chat Let's talk computers! Got a problem with your computer? Need some advice? Got any great tips?

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 24-07-2003, 18:26   #1

Post Having probs exiting

I dont know why but since Ive upgraded to XP (BIG mistake) almost every time I try to exit any web site I can't, unless I use the task monitor to end task, also, at the same time my CPU usage monitor registers 100%.
Is it XP or something Im doing wrong. Any ideas anyone? it's sooooooooo infuriating!!   >
Droo is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 24-07-2003, 23:34   #2

Post Re: Having probs exiting

Shouldnt really be a problem with XP. Was it a fresh install of xp, or was it installed over another OS like Win 98Se or Win Me? I would always try to instal a clean copy of any operating system, and back up all your improtant files onto another disc if possible.

Even if you have insalled XP over an older OS, it shouldnt be anything to do with that. It seems asif you might have a virus on your computer or something along those lines.....
Old 25-07-2003, 06:47   #3
Resting in Peace

was this a copy of xp or a full reg version ?
im using xp never had any problems with it at all
how much mem do you have ?
Mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2003, 09:43   #4

It was a clean install on fat32 file system,256 meg ram using a brand new version of XP. Ive checked for viruses etc. but still having probs. Looks like I may have conflicts somewhere, I dunno nothing seems out of the ordinary. Thanks for your replies guys, Ill keep plugging away!!
Old 25-07-2003, 11:10   #5

How old is the Hardrive your using?
One of my older computers has a hardrive that looks to be on its way out, but I just managed to install Win 98se on it (although it did take about an hour to finish the setup).

The machine runs fine, but from time to time it just does things it shouldnt... and kinda similar to what yours does.
Old 25-07-2003, 12:00   #6

Its about 6 weeks old (20gb) had ME on it when I got it, I had the puter built from scratch...I had no probs with ME but XP is giving all sorts of minor but niggly problems. Thanks for your reply Stevey.
Old 25-07-2003, 12:32   #7
Caz
God Member

Have you tried the microsoft site?
http://support.microsoft.com/
they have a help line and knowledge base plus tech chat.

I know though that when I had a smaller hard drive and 256 mem. I had a lot of similar probs though. XP takes a fair bit and If you have lots of stuff on your com maybe that's the problem - not that i'm an expert!!

since I got a bigger HD and more memory I've had no problem at all

Not with AOL are you? lots of conflicts reported with them and XP!

I am not young enough to know everything.
- Oscar Wilde
Caz is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..