Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Technical & User to User help > Crash Computers Chat
Donate! Join Today

Crash Computers Chat Let's talk computers! Got a problem with your computer? Need some advice? Got any great tips?

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-04-2009, 03:03   #1
God Member

Linux? Mozilla?

Linux is a total nightmare..ubunto loads when it feels like doing and Mozilla is far from the secure exporer some bods make out.. it breaks down after a few weeks.. anyone else had problems with this so called secure alternative to I.E ?
Mancie is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 02-04-2009, 03:48   #2
God Member

Re: Linux? Mozilla?

I like Mozila Firefox - you can get add-ons to move your favourites to it, and lots more useful add-ons besides.
When I do virus scans and spyware scans I rarely see anything remotely dangerous that needs removing

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 04:23   #3
God Member

my firefox has turned into a last resort ..admitted when IE breaks down or gets infected.. but it seems slower than last year and does get hijacked easily
Old 02-04-2009, 06:40   #4
God Member

at the moment i'm using Mozilla and or opera, mozilla can be an arse at times, so when it is i change to opera
Old 02-04-2009, 06:49   #5
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

I use Firefox 99% of the time. It is so rare I have to use Firefox now. I think I only use it to look at a camera server that uses an active-x front end. I don't have problems with it. I have more problems with IE at work.
Old 02-04-2009, 07:10   #6
God Member

Yawn, 0/10, poor attempt at trolling.....

Technical God, No 1 Geek And Linux Guru

Have you seen my Flickr pictures?

entwisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 07:35   #7
God Member

lets get things clear.. linux is crap.. it is the last resort because it is limited to caveman operations..it is free at source but is basic ..cheap ..you pay peanuts you get monkeys!
Old 02-04-2009, 07:43   #8
God Member

thats why the majority of the Internet is run on it,

thats why to IBM its a market projected to be into 100 billion dollars by 2012

thats why it suffers so much from instability, viruses, malware, etc(err, sorry, thats Windows isn't it, I must have been half as confused as you there for a minute).

Old 02-04-2009, 07:53   #9
God Member

ok ..but personally I relied on Mozilla for about a year and then it collapsed... no way round but to re-installl and then still infected ended up going back to IE..the myth that Firefox is more secure is rubbish...IE may have problems but they can be solved quickly.. unlike Firefox.
Old 02-04-2009, 08:19   #10
God Member

woo hoo, shot yourself down there mate, Fixing issues in IE? have you ever tried uninstalling IE? At least with Firefox you can

Then there is teh more important issue of flaws in the software itself, My google mojo is letting me down right now but its fully accepted within all areas of this industry that Microsoft time to fix critical errors is way way way behind that of Open Source Software.

Old 02-04-2009, 08:21   #11
God Member

Are you working it/them properly?
shakermaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 09:07   #12
God Member

off...don't get all tecno on me... you are saying that linux is more secure and reliable than windows.. but for me it is not....and if I'm not working it proper then it is a problem..I don't want to work it..I want it to work for me!
Old 02-04-2009, 09:17   #13
Roy
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mancie View Post
if I'm not working it proper then it is a problem..I don't want to work it..I want it to work for me!
I agree entirely with this, and I think you'll find that is the reason a lot of people switch to mac osx. Its got the power of unix for the techies but the main gui just works and without any tweaking or messing about at all. I still use linux, but only for servers. Windows and linux take far to much work for me to use as my everyday workstation.
When I sit down at the computer I want to work, I don't want to work on the computer...
Roy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 09:48   #14
God Member

now Roy, lets be honest how often do you 'want' to work

to be fair, Julie was constantly getting fed up that every time windows updated something broke. so about 4-5 months ago I moved her to Ubuntu. I asked her to tell me if anything ever didn't work for her and up to now she's said nowt. So it must be working for some and BTW, it was an out the box install, All I added was Opera, no messing, me fiddling to fix stuff, bang in CD, 1 hpur later its all working as it should.

Old 02-04-2009, 09:52   #15
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Maybe that is why Hackintosh's are becoming a popular play thing for people without loads of dosh

Tags
entwisi bait, linux

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..