Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Technical & User to User help > Crash Computers Chat
Donate! Join Today

Crash Computers Chat Let's talk computers! Got a problem with your computer? Need some advice? Got any great tips?

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-03-2009, 19:46   #1
Senior Member+

More help !

Kelsey's laptop appears to have a virus(?) , it is sending messages to others when she is not online, we have run AVG and shows nothing, laptop keeps freezing, any advice?
Old 08-03-2009, 20:30   #2
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Re: More help !

If it is sending MSN messages, it is not her PC but her MSN account that has been compromised. If you read this thread I explained it http://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f...ing-44770.html

She should change her msn password asap and never type in anything except to log onto MSN
Old 08-03-2009, 22:03   #3
Senior Member+

Thanks Neil, we have tried various things tonight but to no avail, will do that tomorrow, it came via a MSN sign on pop upthing that looked like it was from one of her friends!
Old 09-03-2009, 14:00   #4
God Member

To be honest, nowadays I recommend re-installing Windows(well, I personally recommend Linux but you will probably want to stick with Windows) when you get to this stage. Simply you can't be sure whats hiding where.

Is it just me or does it seem to be far worse of late for machines being infected with all sorts of nasty's?

I'm genuinely worried for you Windows users, it seems unless you are a full on geek you have almost no chance of keeping your machines free of infections.

In some ways it will speed the migration to Linux. for all school work and the like I'm surprised more of you don't start with a dual boot machine ( both Windows and Linux installed) and use Linux for all online and School work. keep windows for those programs that you need till you find a suitable alternative for it on Linux.

I'm happy to help people who are interested in looking to dual boot and I'm sure KSH, Cyfr and teh other Linux users on here will equally chip in with support.

Technical God, No 1 Geek And Linux Guru

Have you seen my Flickr pictures?

entwisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 14:31   #5
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by entwisi View Post
I'm genuinely worried for you Windows users, it seems unless you are a full on geek you have almost no chance of keeping your machines free of infections.

In some ways it will speed the migration to Linux. for all school work and the like I'm surprised more of you don't start with a dual boot machine ( both Windows and Linux installed) and use Linux for all online and School work. keep windows for those programs that you need till you find a suitable alternative for it on Linux.
You need to be fairly geeky to set it up like that though. It is also a bit annoying having to reboot just because you want to put some music on your ipod ( or whatever has no windows drivers/software for ).

Anyway surely Windows 7 will fix the whole virus/spyware problem, if not what is the point in bringing it out?
Old 09-03-2009, 14:35   #6
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lindsay ormerod View Post
Thanks Neil, we have tried various things tonight but to no avail, will do that tomorrow, it came via a MSN sign on pop upthing that looked like it was from one of her friends!
Just tell her never to enter her password except when she signs in at first. Even better might be to not tell her what her password is and set MSN to sign in automatically and remember her username and password so she wont do it by accident. Anything coming from friends asking for a password is a virus ( well something trying to steal your password ). I have told my lad he is not allowed to click on links from his friends without asking me first. These bad links are usually from friends who have had there passwords stolen and if you look you will often see the friend is offline even though s/he sent a link to you.

I have also told him he is not allowed to install anything either with asking me to check it first.
Old 09-03-2009, 15:07   #7
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
You need to be fairly geeky to set it up like that though. It is also a bit annoying having to reboot just because you want to put some music on your ipod ( or whatever has no windows drivers/software for ).

Anyway surely Windows 7 will fix the whole virus/spyware problem, if not what is the point in bringing it out?
You don't need to be fairly geeky though Neil, Ubuntu does it all for you including repartitioning(if needed) etc. Most home PCs have no issues at all.

Ipods are fully supported. , as are vast majority of digital cameras etc. In fact, see this Dell Axim Windows mobile Pocket PC? it syncs with My Linux box but will never ever sync with a Vista machine as Microsift have decided to never release drivers or Active sync that will talk to it.

I was thinking more on the line of bespoke software from schools, gaming for some stuff that isn't supported etc.

For Internet, MSN(IM), email, Usenet, P2P, Office, Music/media, all this is safe and easy under Linux. YOu and I can banter this for ages as you well know, for teh non techies, a system that can't get them infected I'm sure would be a welcome relief.

Old 09-03-2009, 20:57   #8
Senior Member+

Neil, you are a star, Kels has done as instructed and it appears to have worked!
Many thanks!
Old 09-03-2009, 22:32   #9
God Member

Quote:

Posted via Mobile Device
95 98 millennium, xp and vista didn't, do you believe 7 will?
K.S.H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 08:15   #10
God Member

Quote:
Y

To wash over teh joke that is Vista? to make money? To continue the ever increasing need for mega power PCs to edit docs and play solitaire?

Old 10-03-2009, 19:45   #11
Senior Member+

Ok we seem to have sorted the virus but this evening kels got a massage saying her hard disk was about to die and she should back up anything she needed to save! Is there anything we can do? Can't imagine it is about to die as is only a couple of years old, is an Acer Aspire 5633WLMi if that's any help. Seems odd that this has come on the back of the virus thing.
If it is about to expire on us any ideas on where to get a replacement drive ( if that's what we need) and how much? Plus would need someone to fit it I imagine....
Old 10-03-2009, 21:07   #12
Senior Member+

It's just done it again, said it detected a "hard disk problem" Help!
Old 10-03-2009, 22:05   #13
God Member

the error messages you're getting are serious...you should copy all important documents and folders as data onto CD or DVD.
If worse comes a you can buy a new 250gb for under £50... you may need someone to fit it and would have to install an operating sytem like Vista or Linux.
Mancie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 02:05   #14
God Member

Posted via Mobile Device

You should always have important stuff backed up. The messages could be important, you need to run the disk checking tool in windows

It wouldn't surprise me if it wasn't some payload left over from the virus.

Ebuyer have 320 gig drives in for 50 quid which is a bargain
Old 11-03-2009, 17:13   #15
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by entwisi View Post
Posted via Mobile Device

You should always have important stuff backed up. The messages could be important, you need to run the disk checking tool in windows

It wouldn't surprise me if it wasn't some payload left over from the virus.

Ebuyer have 320 gig drives in for 50 quid which is a bargain
She doesn't have anything irreplaceable on there, where do we find the disk checking tool, in plain English for numpties please!

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..