Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Technical & User to User help > Crash Computers Chat
Donate! Join Today

Crash Computers Chat Let's talk computers! Got a problem with your computer? Need some advice? Got any great tips?

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-01-2006, 14:09   #1
God Member

Linux User Group

Well, Roy bugged me about this at the Xmas do so I've done something about it.

If you have any interest at all in the wonderful world of Linux then pop over to the Accrington Linux users group hosted by our wonderful Roy on his forumforfree servers. If you want to ask what is it, how will it change my life or just how the heck do you pronounce it you'll be more than welcome

http://p4.forumforfree.com/accylinuxuser.html
entwisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 04-01-2006, 00:23   #2
I am Banned

Re: Linux User Group

sure let me know when linux catches up to microsoft for versatility, stability and useability and i will be right over

yes i did post this to wind you up lol
chav1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2006, 06:29   #3
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chav1
sure let me know when linux catches up to microsoft for versatility, stability and useability and i will be right over

yes i did post this to wind you up lol
I know you would but shall we consider the facts then matey

Versatile - Linux runs on probably more platforms than ANY other OS. from embedded devices(mobiles, microwaves,satellites etc) through PDA's, PCs, servers(multiprocessor non x86),right up to mainframes. I even have a version that runs on my iPod. You can run anything from games, multimedia, video editing(Toy Story 2 was rendered on Linux), to nuclear explosion simulation. 6 of the top 10 supercomputers in the world run Linux.

Stability - heh in a week where just opening an image on your windows box gives full control of it to hackers thats a bit rich. Microsoft don't even have a fix yet. Lets face it. Windows is not used in mission critical situations for a reason. There isn't a bank in this country that would trust their back end processing to Windows. The US Navy tried to use it on a Destroyer once. Windows Blue screen'd leaving it dead in the water for 30 minutes whilst the computers were rebooted. I have an old PC acting as a server at home. It ran for just over 3 years without a reboot and only went down then because the builders killed the wrong ring main. There are other instances of Linux boxes running for much longer.

Useability - You obviously haven't seen Linux recently. Window Managers such as KDE are leading teh way as far as useability are concerned. most people use media software to listen to music. Hey, why run it seperately when you can embed it anywhere you like, your desktop, no probs, your task bar that will be fine, yet even with all this ability to customise your PC it never compromises the safety of the kernel.

So, get your coat and I'll see you over there ------->
Old 04-01-2006, 08:18   #4
I am Banned

i must admit linux ran better than win98 on my xbox lol
Old 04-01-2006, 12:30   #5
God Member

How dare you adulterate a perfectly good operating system by running it on hardware from satan himself

Your evil you are sir
Old 05-01-2006, 14:37   #6
I am Banned

if its any cocelation when old bill gates fpund out linux was been run on his xbox he was mighty upset lol
Old 05-01-2006, 19:17   #7
God Member

You were aware that hotmail ran on Linux for years and was only swapped to Windows hardware when people found out. teh next 6 months it was totally unreliable
Old 05-01-2006, 20:05   #8
God Member

I think MSN messenger servers should run linux
Old 27-01-2006, 14:23   #9
Roy
Administrator

I missed this one due to playing in saint pete... good job entwistle, I've just joined. I hope this turns into a nice friendly linux resource
Roy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2006, 20:08   #10
God Member

Have to get round to this linux sometime, had suse and knoppix live cd's for ages, keep having a play about with them but never installed it, gonna change this hard drive soon so might even put one of them on then, think i prefer the suse one although i haven't been able to connect to the internet with it as i haven't managed to find my wireless network with it.
If i do put it on am i better installing xp 1st of linux?

www.ubuntu.com

K.S.H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2006, 07:17   #11
God Member

Yes, always install Windows first when doing a dual boot system. Windows will just overwrite the MBR as it assumes no one would ever want anything other than windows on a machine.

If you want help setting a system up give me a shout and I'll pop round sometime. I can talk you through any bits that need manual intervention like your wifi and internet connection.

Technical God, No 1 Geek And Linux Guru

Have you seen my Flickr pictures?

Old 31-01-2006, 08:33   #12
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Quote:
Originally Posted by entwisi
Yes, always install Windows first when doing a dual boot system. Windows will just overwrite the MBR as it assumes no one would ever want anything other than windows on a machine.

If you want help setting a system up give me a shout and I'll pop round sometime. I can talk you through any bits that need manual intervention like your wifi and internet connection.
I think what you meant to say entwisi was, come and join accy linux group
http://p4.forumforfree.com/accylinuxuser.html

Where you will find lots of help as you enjoy struggling and finding out for yourself what the linux system can do to enhance your hobby.

P.S. If you keep nipping round to peoples houses you will get lumbered by the I can't be bothered to do it myself people (no I don't mean you KSH!), thus resulting in you having no time to run the linux site.
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2006, 12:55   #13

Quote:
Where you will find lots of help as you enjoy struggling and finding out for yourself what the linux system can do to enhance your hobby.
hobby? gish! Most Linux installs are on work machines... I think you'll find that the people who install Linux on these machines do so because Windows is such an unstable, bloated and generally insecure OS that they can't rely on. I don't have Linux installed on any of my current machines, but I'm running a *Nix system nonetheless (OS X) and in 6 years I've managed to crash it once... which was my own stupid fault for running some severely old and dodgy shareware. Not a bad history considering it's running on a few machines I have, some of them pre-dating OS X by many years and not even officially supposed to run it.

I can vouch for Linux though. There's a huge and much more knowledgable support network for any problems you might encounter... and it's all FREE!!!

Here's a good one: try asking the guys at PCWorld if you can buy a PC, but have Linux installed as your OS instead of Windoze. They just look at you in shock... then say that it's not possible. Why's it not possible? You pay for your OS (hidden in the price) anyway, so why can't you have that amount of money deducted at least and go with a free OS? Hehe....
semihere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2006, 15:21   #14

Some hobby! LOL
Linux runs 74% of the top 500 supercomputers, windows 0.02%, the rest are running Unix/BSD/MacOS.
The majority of internet sites run on linux too!
sqool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2006, 14:03   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by entwisi
You were aware that hotmail ran on Linux for years and was only swapped to Windows hardware when people found out. teh next 6 months it was totally unreliable
Actually it ran on FreeBSD :P
petey is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..