Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Technical & User to User help > Crash Computers Chat
Donate! Join Today

Crash Computers Chat Let's talk computers! Got a problem with your computer? Need some advice? Got any great tips?

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 24-03-2005, 20:49   #1
Senior Member+

Messenger query

I got an email, stating that someone wants to talk to me.

I have been given instructions to download messenger (which I have already, and been using it for some months now) and add them to my contacts.

Has anyone else had unsolicited emails like this?

Is this some ploy to try and get access to my PC, or will my av and firewall keep them out anyway?

Or is there some other purpose to this?

vorlon24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 24-03-2005, 21:11   #2

Re: Messenger query

Is this msn?
Can you not do a member search for the person that sent you an email?
Most of the time you will get an alert message stating that someone has added you to their messenger and you can accept or deny,when you log into your messenger or when your computer starts up and messenger starts automatically.
What is the link to download messenger?........go to www.msn.com and check what the address download page is for downloading MESSENGER and does it match?...it might be a bit different but just check.
Like any email at the moment always check?
I suggest doing a member check first!!

Jay

jason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2005, 21:49   #3
Senior Member+

The email address that they sent the mail to was not the address I use for Messenger.

I am considering deleting and ignoring it

vorlon24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2005, 23:12   #4
I am Banned

I wouldnt do or respond to anything i wasnt sure about if its that important they my make themselves known to u altho it could be genuine the thought of the person using messenger to know when u is online as for improper means is a possiblity but wise to use your own judgment. At least if its anyone ere then they know to make themselves known LOL!
accymel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2005, 23:13   #5
God Member

I would just delete it and forget about it Vorlon they aren't worth opening with all the silly bugs, virus's and spyware going about.
Old 25-03-2005, 06:25   #6

I have also received a similar message from some-one with the name mickbadger, I just deleted it.
Aquarius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2005, 14:06   #7

I dont blame you........I have highlighted 2 emails this week on here,so folks just be wary of what you are clicking!

jason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2005, 23:20   #8
I am Banned

this is what may have happened

when adding people to msn it sometimes tells you that the person you are trying to add dose not use messanger and that you can email them recomending that they download msn

this can happen even if you are already using msn so an email is generated telling you that somone tried adding you and recomends you download msn

if you have your email account listed in your profile people may try adding yu and get that message and send you a generated email asking you to doenload msn and add them to your contacts

i generaly add their email then as soon as i see tham online ask them who they are with the clear point been made that they have 30 seconds to introduce themnselves or they get blocked and deleted from my contacts
chav1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2005, 09:24   #9
God Member

Personally I wouldn't allow anyone I don't know to become a buddy and I'm on the impervious 'Super OS'.

I've enough people to keep track of never mind adding people I don't even know!

Ian
entwisi is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..