Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Technical & User to User help > Crash Computers Chat
Donate! Join Today

Crash Computers Chat Let's talk computers! Got a problem with your computer? Need some advice? Got any great tips?

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-04-2005, 15:04   #1
Resident Waffler

If an animated gif saves to your PC as a bmp

Just in case anyone else ever faces this problem here is a solution or two. Hope these are of use to people.

How to stop a gif or jpg being saved as a bmp

A.
Symptoms
If when you try to save an image in Microsoft Internet Explorer, the image is saved by default as a bitmap (.bmp). You do not have the option to save the image by using an extension other than .bmp. You experience this behavior even when the image uses a different format (such as .gif or .jpeg).

For example, when you right-click an image on a Web page, and then click Save Picture As, the file name that appears in the File name box is Untitled, and the file type that appears in the Save as type box is Bitmap (*.bmp).

CAUSE
This behavior may occur if a damaged program file (for example, an ActiveX or Java object) is downloaded to the SystemRoot\Downloaded Program Files folder on your hard disk.

RESOLUTION
To troubleshoot and resolve this behavior, empty the contents of the Temporary Internet Files folder, and then delete the files in the Downloaded Program Files folder that are listed as either Unknown or Damaged. To do so:

1. Start Internet Explorer (if it is not already started).

2. Empty the contents of the Temporary Internet Files folder. To do so:

a. On the Tools menu, click Internet Options.
b. Click the General tab.
c. Under Temporary Internet files, click Delete Files.
d. When you are prompted to delete all temporary Internet files, click OK.

3. In the Downloaded Program Files folder on your hard disk, remove the files that are listed as either Unknown or Damaged. To do so:

a. On the Tools menu, click Internet Options.
b. Click the General tab.
c. Under Temporary Internet files, click Settings.
d. Click View Objects.

The list of program files that are downloaded to the SystemRoot\Downloaded Program Files folder on your hard disk appears in the Downloaded Program Files window.

e. In the Status column, note the files that are listed as either Unknown or Damaged. Remove these files. To do so, right-click the file, and then click Remove.

f. When you are prompted to confirm the removal, click Yes.
g. Close the Downloaded Program Files window, and then click OK two times.

4. Save an image in Internet Explorer to test and determine if the issue is resolved.

If the issue continues to occur after you remove all downloaded program files that are listed as Unknown or Damaged, try removing the other downloaded program files that are on the list.

Note: The next time that you need one of the files that you removed from the Downloaded Program Files folder, you will receive a prompt to download the file to your hard disk in Internet Explorer.

B
SYMPTOMS
When you click the Save Picture As button for a graphics file in Microsoft Internet Explorer, you may be able to save the file only as a .bmp file even if the file is in another format (such as GIF or JPEG). The file name may also appear as "Untitled."

CAUSE
This issue may occur if either of the following conditions is true:

• This issue may occur if your Temporary Internet pages cache is full.
• This issue can occur if you have "Do not save encrypted pages to disk" selected in Tools, Options, Advanced Tab and are loading the page over a secure connection (https).

WORKAROUND
Depending on the specific cause for your issue, use one of the following methods to work around this issue.

Method 1
Delete the temporary Internet files. To do so, click Tools, click Internet Options, click the General tab, and then click the Delete Files button.

Note To locate the Temporary Internet Files folder, click Options on the Tools menu, click the General tab, and then click Settings. The current location appears in the Settings dialog box.

Method 2
To work around the problem, click Tools, click Internet Options, click the Advanced tab, click to clear the Do not save encrypted pages to disk check box, click View, and then click Refresh. The Do not save encrypted pages to disk check box is under the Security section.

STATUS
Microsoft has confirmed that this is a problem in the Microsoft products. that are listed in the "Applies to" section of this article.

APPLIES TO
Microsoft Internet Explorer 6.0, when used with: the operating system: Microsoft Windows XP the operating system: Microsoft Windows 2000
the operating system: Microsoft Windows NT 4.0
Microsoft Windows Millennium Edition Microsoft Windows 98 Second Edition Microsoft Windows 98 Standard Edition
Microsoft Internet Explorer 5.5, when used with: the operating system: Microsoft Windows 2000 the operating system: Microsoft Windows NT 4.0
Microsoft Windows Millennium Edition Microsoft Windows 98 Second Edition Microsoft Windows 98 Standard Edition Microsoft Windows 95 Service Pack 1

Last edited by WillowTheWhisp; 07-04-2005 at 23:16. Reason: to compact the text and eliminate wasteful spaces
WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 07-04-2005, 15:35   #2
Resident Waffler

Angry Re: If an animated gif saves to your PC as a bmp

To the anonymous person who deducted my karma for this post

If an animated gif save... 07-04-2005 16:12 Why paste all that when you can simply add the link http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;810978

All I have to say in reply is that I was complying with what I read in the rules written by Roy where he asked people not to simply post links unless to cut and paste was an infringement of copyright.

If the moderators feel this post is too long or shouldn't be here please remove it. My intention was to try to be helpful to anyone who had encountered this problem recently which we'd mentioned elsewhere.

If trying to be helpful warrants deduction of karma then please carry on with the inane chattering which takes place in most of the threads which I'm sure you must find far more interesting.

Old 07-04-2005, 15:41   #3
Senior Member+

Re: If an animated gif saves to your PC as a bmp

Thanks Willow, i have removed one damaged file and two unknown.
Old 07-04-2005, 15:44   #4
Resident Waffler

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillowTheWhisp
To the anonymous person who deducted my karma for this post

If an animated gif save... 07-04-2005 16:12 Why paste all that when you can simply add the link http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;810978

Actually just checked out that link and it doesn't contain all of the information contained in my post. So further to my original response perhaps you'd like to tell us where to find a link with the rest of it in?

Old 07-04-2005, 15:48   #5
Senior Member+

If it was not for willows help i would have been stuck, because not everybody is good on a pc. I know i'm not. I find it easier to understand willow than a link.
Old 07-04-2005, 16:25   #6
Len
God Member

Nice one willow
I think this will prove to be very useful for someone at some point.
Cheers.

Janet, have you tried saving the same animated gif again to see if it has done the job for you.
I would be interested to know.
Len is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2005, 17:52   #7
Senior Member+

Yes Len, i downloaded it again this afternoon it's all sorted now thanks to willows help and yours of course.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..