Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Technical & User to User help > Crash Computers Chat
Donate! Join Today

Crash Computers Chat Let's talk computers! Got a problem with your computer? Need some advice? Got any great tips?

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 13-01-2005, 09:07   #1
Senior Member+

Wireless network - costs?

Does anyone here know how much it costs (and how easy/difficult it is) to set up a wireless network?

I have three computers I want to link: a laptop, and 2 desktops. The laptop and one of the desktops runs XP home, and the other desktop run 98.

Assuming I have no hardware at all, I need to know what I need to buy, what is best to avoid at all costs, and how much I can expect to spend.

Oh yes, and how easy it is to set up and prevent others piggy-backing.

vorlon24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 13-01-2005, 09:36   #2
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Re: Wireless network - costs?

Quote:
Originally Posted by vorlon24
Does anyone here know how much it costs (and how easy/difficult it is) to set up a wireless network?

I have three computers I want to link: a laptop, and 2 desktops. The laptop and one of the desktops runs XP home, and the other desktop run 98.

Assuming I have no hardware at all, I need to know what I need to buy, what is best to avoid at all costs, and how much I can expect to spend.

Oh yes, and how easy it is to set up and prevent others piggy-backing.
Roy, Wingy or Sparks should be able to tell you they set a system up when they were over in China.
or alternatively How stuff works give a very good plain language explanation, HowStuffWorks - Learn how Everything Works!

Last edited by Less; 13-01-2005 at 09:38.
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2005, 10:30   #3
God Member

I have been running a wifi network for over 3 years now. Originally an Ad-Hoc setup then I reconfigured the Main PC as an access point. Now I run a seperate ADSL modem router WAP. I have a Server, a Laptop a PDA and next doors PC all sharing the network.

I guess you are on ADSL or is it cable? If the former I would recommend the following.

Netgear DG834M This is a BB modem with router and Wireless access point built in. It also acts as a firewall although I would recommend keeping your current firewall as well.

For the Laptop you want a PCMCIA adaptor(if it hasn't already got Wifi built in).

For teh desktops you have a choice of USB or PCI. One issue with 98 is that the USB support can be a bit flaky especially if it isn't 98SE. For that resaon I would suggest PCI as the better choice. However USB has two advantages you may wish to consider. Firstly because it is usually a module on the end of a cable you can move it to find the best reception spot. It is amazing how much difference 6 inches of movement can make to the signal strength. Secondly if your mate turns up with his laptop you can plug it into it and he can easily connect to your network.

All in the kit should cost you no more than £150 tops. I can have a look around and suggest a full package if you want.

As for ensuring prying eyes are kept at bay. there are two main ways. The first requires setting up encryption of both the Modem/router and the client PCs. This isn't difficult to do. You specify a 'key' to the router and if people don't know that key then they can't connect. Secondly each network card has a specific address called a MAC. This is a series of 6 two digit hexadecimal characters. You can specify on the router to only allow certain MACs to connect. So even if someone guessed your key(Highly unlikely) they would also have to guess and spoof your MAC address as well.

It would take me about an hour or so to set it all up so for a non techie 2 hours but thats tops.

Give me a shout if you want me to dig around for a package for you.

Ian
entwisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2005, 10:42   #4
Senior Member+

Thanks a lot for the advice - it is not top priority at this moment as we have no income at the moment, but I hoping this will change if the office ever sort my commissions out (but that's another story!).

Food for thought though, and if it's ok can I give you a shout a bit nearer the time?

Cheers!

Old 13-01-2005, 11:25   #5
God Member

course you can mate. I may even be willing to help you set it all up in exchange for a few beers

Ian
Old 13-01-2005, 11:30   #6
Senior Member+

I would love to be able to take you up on your offer, sadly this may not be possible, unless you live in the Tunbridge Wells area

Old 13-01-2005, 11:47   #7
God Member

Ah! I can provide you with a very easy set by step guide then. Drop me a line when you are ready. Or catch me online with MSN. [email protected] (Not used for email so don't send owt there) I'm online most days at some point. Normally during the day as I log on from work.

Ian
Old 13-01-2005, 11:55   #8
Senior Member+

When I get on the desktop I'll add you to my profile!

Thanks again!

Old 17-03-2005, 23:17   #9
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

You might think about hard wiring the desktop PC's to the router. It will cost less money and you wont have any problems with Windows 98 drivers. It is also faster and more reliable than wireless (usually).
Neil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2005, 07:10   #10
God Member

It would only be 'faster' if you had anything else that was hard wired that you were transferring to/from. The ADSL speed is the limiting factor. even the old 11Mpbs is plenty when you consider 95% of people have 1M or lower links. As for reliability, as long as its not a USB adaptor in teh 98 boxes you should have no issues. I've been running Wireless for over 3 years as previously mentioned under Windows 98, XP and Linux(Mandrake, Suse and Gentoo) and have had no issues with link reliability.
Old 18-03-2005, 08:46   #11
Senior Member+

The reason why I haven't considered hard wiring is the distance between one of the PCs from the other 2 machines that I use, and because I don't want cables trailing around the house.

Drilling holes through walls is also an issue - you need a pneumatic one that they use for the roads to get through our walls.

Old 18-03-2005, 08:56   #12
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!

I have found wireless may not give you the range you require even in your house. Positioning of the router/access point can be critical. There is a member on here with a good quality Dlink ADSL router at the back of his house where his phone line is and his laptop wont work in his front room. We have big thick walls in these old terranced houses.

I stand by this statement everytime - wired is best for fixed PC's with wireless as a "if you have to option". Wireless is superb for laptops PDA's etc but try and position it centrally in your house ( unless you live in one of those modern shoe box houses ).

I agree about speed and internet but that is only relative if all you do is use the network for internet access.

I store all my files, photos, music etc on one PC so I can access it from anywhere. I even image game CD's we buy the kids so they don't damage the originals, and they are accessed accross the network.
Old 18-03-2005, 08:58   #13
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!

Oh yes another reason why I like hard wired over wireless - zero security risk generated by the network.
Old 18-03-2005, 09:12   #14
Senior Member+

Lock it up tight and piggy-backing's not an issue

Old 18-03-2005, 09:17   #15
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!

Thats probably what Bill Gates says about Internet Explorer

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..