Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Technical & User to User help > Crash Computers Chat
Donate! Join Today

Crash Computers Chat Let's talk computers! Got a problem with your computer? Need some advice? Got any great tips?

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 31-12-2004, 10:31   #1

Msn

Can anyone tell me what the following code means .80072efd Daughter has downloaded the new version of MSN (BETA), and now when i try and open it, it keeps telling me to try again later followed by that code. So now i don't know if it's our PC or what. Thanks

Sara is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 31-12-2004, 10:37   #2
mez
God Member

Re: Msn

sara a few of us have been having problems with m.s.n for the past couple of days so im not sure wether its the p/c or wether m.s.n wants shooting /
Old 31-12-2004, 10:42   #3

Thanks Mez, i feel like throwing this thing through the window. Shall leave it for another day or two before panicking. I really do need to buy another PC but keep putting it off.

Old 31-12-2004, 10:43   #4
God Member

download it again, they updated it a couple of days ago. It is a beta version so you can almost expect problems from microsoft, they cant get the released versions right so whats the chances of a beta version working OK!!

www.ubuntu.com

K.S.H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2004, 10:51   #5

I've already downloaded it three times, it's not so much me that goes on MSN a lot it's mainly the kids. Suppose there's always a good side, if they can't get on MSN i get the PC more to come on Accy Web.

Old 31-12-2004, 11:03   #6
God Member

quick search on google found it could be a connection/firewall issue, have you tried disabling your firewall? if all else fails delete it and re-install version 6.2

www.ubuntu.com

Old 31-12-2004, 11:05   #7

I haven't got a clue, if we have a firewall or not. What is one of them?

Old 31-12-2004, 15:15   #8

Thanks a lot for all your help, i did what K.S.H suggested got rid of it then re-installed version 6.2, daughter,s happy now.

Old 31-12-2004, 16:54   #9
God Member

PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE under NO circumstances turn off your firewall. This will give you far more problems than a slightly dodgy install of MSN. Same goes for Anti Virus.

If you want in the meantime whilst Microsoft sort out their crappy software you can download GAIM which is an alternative Messenger client.

URL here http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/g...1.exe?download

Just add your normal MSN account details and it will download all your buddy lists. If you also have a Yahoo or AOL messenger account it will manage all three from teh same program.

Ian
entwisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2004, 18:00   #10

Thanks entwisi, sorted out MSN but i will keep hold of that address for future reference. As for the firewall haven't got a clue what one is let alone know how to turn it off, spoke to my son though and according to him we have got one and he said the same as you, not to touch it. Thanks for the advice.

Old 01-01-2005, 11:45   #11
God Member

yep entwisi is right dont disable it permanantly, i only meant to disable it just to try out the msn again and not to leave it disabled

www.ubuntu.com

Old 01-01-2005, 16:11   #12
God Member

Only problem is that particulary if it is XP it will be infected within 30 seconds with Blaster and god knows what else. It really is important to not go online without protection(or an OS that doesn't suffer ). I would also recommend when upgrading them to disconnect from the net once you have downloaded the update and before you install it as they often turn off the protection for a few seconds. I have known people get infected in this short period.
Old 03-01-2005, 15:41   #13
Always EVIL within us

Quote:
Originally Posted by entwisi
Only problem is that particulary if it is XP it will be infected within 30 seconds with Blaster and god knows what else. It really is important to not go online without protection(or an OS that doesn't suffer ). I would also recommend when upgrading them to disconnect from the net once you have downloaded the update and before you install it as they often turn off the protection for a few seconds. I have known people get infected in this short period.
Now you tell me! I recently re formatted the hard drive on my PC and having missed being on the net, I went online straight away instead of loading up my Anti-Virus first!....WRONG!!

My pc now closes down by itself even before the operating system has opened fully and I have been advised that it is the "Blaster" virus that is causing it. I can't even go on line to d/load the tools that are available.
(I am having to "borrow" Willows PC)
Old 03-01-2005, 17:08   #14
God Member

you can stop it shutting down by having a MS DOS command prompt open and type 'shutdown -a' have it ready and when it says it is shutting down hit return. If you press the up key it will recall the last command for the next time it tries to shut down.

Also, Blaster needs a Firewall not AV to stop it. It gets in by scanning for open ports which XP kindly leaves wide open. PM me if you want detailed instructions.

Ian
Old 04-01-2005, 10:54   #15
Senior Member+

I had a problem with messenger a few days ago. Somehow I got invited to a conversation by someone I had never heard of, and before I knew it, there was a whole load of other people in on the conversation.

I didn't reply, and disconnected immediately.

With regards to getting overrun with viruses, I had the same problem as Busman. I restored a friend's PC and went online before installing Norton. Before I knew it, I was getting messages (in a dialog box) from the net suggesting I visit various sites, and when I finally got round to installing Norton it did a scan first and found over 50 viruses/trojans, etc.

I started from scratch and restored it again!

vorlon24 is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..