Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Technical & User to User help > Crash Computers Chat
Donate! Join Today

Crash Computers Chat Let's talk computers! Got a problem with your computer? Need some advice? Got any great tips?

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 15-01-2005, 21:49   #1

Talking computer shop

does anyone recomend a good computer shop to take my ****in computer too to have it beaten till it works properly?
it keeps freezing and is starting to Pish me off big time.....
the only trouble is it will freeze then i turn off and it may come back on and stay on untill i want to do something and then freezes again..
i need it looking at before i throw it out of the window.....
Old 15-01-2005, 22:32   #2
Resident Waffler

Re: computer shop

Try the one near the bottom of Willows Lane, near the bike shop.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2005, 22:41   #3
I am Band

There is one on the High Street in Rishton.

I think it is called Use-It Computers. Maybe they can help.

Any ramblings, meanderings, thoughts or musings are mine and mine alone. Any opinions expressed are Lettie's!
Sparkologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2005, 01:40   #4
God Member

Yeah, use-it computers are good, I always took my pc there until I figured out how to do it myself

I went there on work experience too, was fun
andrewb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2005, 18:45   #5
Senior Member+

Alternatively, format the hard drive and start again from scratch.

Works for me!

vorlon24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2005, 17:53   #6
I am Banned

sounds like a hardware fault rather than software related problems

pcs locking up can be a few things ranging from iminent hard drive failure , faulty power supply

i doubt it is your memory/ram as it wouldnt normaly boot up at all if it was the memory but hard drive failure can come on gradualy and also power supply units may fail as they get hotter

switch your pc on ans see if the fam in the power supply is spinning around

always a bad sighn if it is not as your pwer supply is no longer geting cooled
chav1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2005, 18:01   #7
I am Banned

Know what u mean Steveo felt the very same way about my ******** pc a few weeks ago new pc re-format start from scratch thing But its behaving so far <touch wood> Have u ran an up to date virus checker?!?

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveo
does anyone recomend a good computer shop to take my ****in computer too to have it beaten till it works properly?
it keeps freezing and is starting to Pish me off big time.....
the only trouble is it will freeze then i turn off and it may come back on and stay on untill i want to do something and then freezes again..
i need it looking at before i throw it out of the window.....
accymel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2005, 18:18   #8
I am Banned

on reading yuor symptoms again i am more enclined to think it to be possible hard drive failure as nothing seems to go wrong until you start doing somthing which increases the workload on your hard drive

jsut to be safe try and back up any photos and important files to cdr or dvdr just incase your system fails

btw:

are you running a maxtor hard drive as they run very hot and are well known for crashing especialy in systems left running 24 hrs a day like mine are
chav1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2005, 18:22   #9
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chav1
sounds like a hardware fault rather than software related problems

pcs locking up can be a few things ranging from iminent hard drive failure , faulty power supply

i doubt it is your memory/ram as it wouldnt normaly boot up at all if it was the memory but hard drive failure can come on gradualy and also power supply units may fail as they get hotter

switch your pc on ans see if the fam in the power supply is spinning around

always a bad sighn if it is not as your pwer supply is no longer geting cooled

Actually Memory can be one of the biggest causes of intermittant software lock ups, Get a memory checker(plenty of free ones on the net) and give it a proper test. If it fails you can try underlocking the memory a little to see if it solves it.

Also try reseating all the internal cards, Video, modem, network, memory etc. A loose connection on any of these can also show similar symptons.

Ian
entwisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2005, 18:50   #10

the one in rishton has a good reputation , used to use the one in warner street until they conned two other people i know with cheap parts now i stick to pc solutions near burnley they come out and pick it up or repair at your house and they are pretty cheap
rockrabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2005, 20:26   #11

Talking Re: computer shop

i am going for the full format option....
hope i will be back to tell the tale....
Old 25-01-2005, 21:15   #12
Senior Member+

Good luck steveo!

Let us know how you get on.

*a thought - do they have computers in his local library?*

Old 25-01-2005, 21:35   #13
Resident Waffler

:e36: yep

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2005, 08:03   #14
Senior Member+

So if it all goes horribly wrong he can still let us know!

Excellent!!

Old 26-01-2005, 08:14   #15
God Member

Anyone would think reformatting your disk and starting from scratch is difficult. Set aside about 8 hours for Windows(or 2 tops for Linux ) and make sure you at the very least have the driver disks and login info to get back on the net. You can download the latest versions of all other drivers either before you start or from that nice shiny new install.

Actually, if you must use Windows make sure you install AV and Firewall before you even think about connecting to the net. The current avaerage time to infect an unprotected Windows install is less than 20 SECONDS!!!!
entwisi is offline   Reply With Quote

« Win Me Sos | Msn »

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..