Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Technical & User to User help > Crash Computers Chat
Donate! Join Today

Crash Computers Chat Let's talk computers! Got a problem with your computer? Need some advice? Got any great tips?

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 24-12-2004, 20:53   #1
I am Banned

Angry Win Me Sos

Please can someone help me out with a lil big problem, i really need to get rid of crappy win ME off my new to me pc, i cant remove it from add/remove programmes cos its not listed on it, ME doesnt go into DOS mode away from windows so i could format the hardrive.......so what do i do cos i want to boot up n install 98 ..... can anyone help or advise?????

TIA
accymel is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 25-12-2004, 15:37   #2
I am Banned

Re: Win Me Sos

Tis ok folks i managed to sort it now the dreaded ME has gone
Old 26-12-2004, 10:32   #3
God Member

I agree ME was the worst ever release of Windows. XP is probably the best of the Bad lot.

There are alternatives you know!
entwisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2004, 16:23   #4
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by entwisi
I agree ME was the worst ever release of Windows. XP is probably the best of the Bad lot.

There are alternatives you know!
Like what? other than throwing it over the hedge lol
Old 28-12-2004, 09:40   #5
God Member

Personally I use Gentoo Linux. There are other flavours of Linux as well, SuSE, Mandrake, Debian, Slackware, Fedora.

It is a very secure OS. No viruses, Trojans etc don't work. Lots of choice of software of which 99% is free to use(including the OS itself). If you are interested I can give you more info. One beauty of it is that it will set itself up to 'dual boot' so you have the choice of Linux or Windows. I have a lot of friends who use Linux for all their Internet usage(email, Browsing, P2P) and Office work(OpenOffice) only booting into Windows to play the odd game that isn't released for Linux(Although even this is getting a lot better, Doom3 and HL2 both have Linux installers, as do Doom 2 and Unreal.

Like I said, if you want more info let me know.

Ian
Old 04-01-2005, 08:43   #6
Senior Member+

I heard that most (if not all) Linux users are more technically minded about (their) computers than most of the general public, and that it's not as user friendly as Windows.

I guess that so many people grow up with Windows and the Office applications that they are comfortable with it - if it ain't broke why fix it?

vorlon24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2005, 08:48   #7
Resident Waffler

I'm a bit like that when it comes to PCs. I'm tempted to try other things but think if I'm happy with what I've got why upset the apple cart?

I did have ME for a little while and did NOT like it. Much prefer XP.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2005, 09:36   #8
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vorlon24
I heard that most (if not all) Linux users are more technically minded about (their) computers than most of the general public, and that it's not as user friendly as Windows.

I guess that so many people grow up with Windows and the Office applications that they are comfortable with it - if it ain't broke why fix it?
Yes vorlon, they probably are mainly due to that fact that you have to know that it exists in the first place. As far as useability goes it is just as easy to use as windows. In fact some would say easier as you do not have to worry about Anti Virus, Spyware etc. Also most mainstream distros are 'firewalled' by default. Distros such as Mandrake and Suse include lost of nice gui wizards to help people and have been accused of becoming too Windowsy. You don't have to be a wierdo techie to use Linux at all. If anyone wishes to try it without touching their Windows install there are versions available that run from the CD drive albeit a little slow as CDs are a lot slower than Hard disks. Have a look at www.knoppix.org

Open Office(www.openoffice.org) is a superb tool and one that people familiar with Microsoft Office will have no problems whatsoever with. It is also available for Windows and is free to use( so those of you with dodgy copies of Office can get rid of them and cleanse your conscience )

Ian
Old 04-01-2005, 10:28   #9
Senior Member+

People don't have dodgy copies of Office, surely!!!

Old 26-01-2005, 00:45   #10
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by vorlon24
People don't have dodgy copies of Office, surely!!!
never would i think of taking money out of bill gates pokets hes barely scraping a living as it is

anyway bill gates stole the idea for windows so payback i a bitch lol
chav1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2005, 07:18   #11
Resident Waffler

I wish I had the nerve to experiment with something like this.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2005, 08:05   #12
Senior Member+

What - dodgy copies of Office?

Old 26-01-2005, 08:08   #13
God Member

Aye Willow, what would you like to try?
Old 26-01-2005, 08:27   #14
Senior Member+

The thing with computers is that whatever you do to them can normally be undone (unless you are prone to throwing them out of windows, etc (excuse the pun!)).

All I would suggest is ensure you have backups of everything that you want to keep (this should be done periodically anyway, in case of failure), and I don't just mean the usual word and excel files, but also emails. I use Outlook, so can export the whole thing to a .pst file. I have yet to master Outlook Express. I prefer Outlook as you get a little more protection with the latest versions (it blocks .exe and various other file types - to help with preventing viruses from hitting your inbox)

So yes, take backups and then play!

Old 26-01-2005, 14:19   #15
Beacon of light

I didn't mind windows ME...... but that is probably because it was all I had ever known......have XP now and HATED it at first, but have got used to it.
I am with Willow.......a bit chary of trying anything new, even though I KNOW you can restore......I don't trust these Bl**dy machines, but I trust myself even less.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..