Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Technical & User to User help > Crash Computers Chat
Donate! Join Today

Crash Computers Chat Let's talk computers! Got a problem with your computer? Need some advice? Got any great tips?

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 26-01-2005, 14:21   #16
Beacon of light

Re: Win Me Sos

You can blind me with science anyday.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 27-01-2005, 11:36   #17
Resident Waffler

I'm going to have a go with something new. I've decided that seeing as how I have a brain I am going to use it and not let it stagnate.

I may not know much now but I'm going to be brave and try to learn to at least understand what I'm doing.

I look at it his way. At one time I wouldn't have known where to start making emoticons and little graphics but now I can do some simple ones and quite enjoy it. Also it's another excuse to do less ironing.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2005, 12:51   #18
Senior Member+

yeah ME is crap we had loads of probs.On XP Pro now seems alot better
Old 27-01-2005, 13:12   #19
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillowTheWhisp
I'm going to have a go with something new. I've decided that seeing as how I have a brain I am going to use it and not let it stagnate.

I may not know much now but I'm going to be brave and try to learn to at least understand what I'm doing.

I look at it his way. At one time I wouldn't have known where to start making emoticons and little graphics but now I can do some simple ones and quite enjoy it. Also it's another excuse to do less ironing.
Does Busman know that you are doing that instead of his ironing then???

vorlon24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2005, 14:34   #20
God Member

Personaly I use Fedora Core 3 on my linux machine, it's great and easy to use as a 'my first linux'. However, it's still nowhere near as userfriendly as windows and I wouldnt recommend it unless you are experienced with computer systems..

Windows isn't all that bad really, if you set it up right with firewall and antivirus it's usualy fine..
andrewb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2005, 14:45   #21
Wez

*Waves a Linux flag*

I'm not very computer literate but whenever I use Linux I generally don't have any trouble.. less in fact.
Old 27-01-2005, 16:38   #22
Senior Member+

Doesn't everyone on here have Less trouble???

Sorry - I know its off-topic, but I couldn't resist that one!!!

Old 27-01-2005, 19:27   #23
Beacon of light

I keep thinking that maybe I should go to classes to learn how to build a machine, but I am scared of looking thick.....plus I get confused by all the jargon that computer folk use. I do wish that I knew more about the guts of the machine.
Old 27-01-2005, 19:29   #24
Beacon of light

Recently there was an 80yr old guy in the telegraph who had built his own computer....puts me to shame!
Old 28-01-2005, 05:07   #25
God Member

Computers are just like a big jigsaw with only a dozen or so pieces. It is almost imposible to get it wrong as the connectors are all different so will only do in a matching socket. As long as you don't try to force something that doesn't want to go then you will be fine.

However the days of saving money by building your own are long gone. Even using the trade suppliers to get the components you can normally by a ready built box for the same money if not much more.

I would say the hardest part of the build would be getting windows installed and locked down against virus/hacking and malware. Also a little understanding of the logical view of things is what is missing from most peoples understandings.

As far as user friendliness, Linux is different to Windows. Not harder just different. People who come to Linux from Windows have to learn a slightly different way of doing some things. If you went the other way I'm sure you would find windows exactly the same. Certainly it is far easier to install Linux to the majority of machines as all drivers and software installs are taken care of in one stage. I built a PC for my neighbour a short while ago. It took over 9 hours in total to get everything installed. I installed Mandrake onto the PC with full Office/Games/Internet functionality in less than 1 1/2 hours. This included connection through my Wifi network for internet access. He is safe in the knowledge that all these viruses/trojans and worms will do absolutely nothing to his PC in linux wheras in Windows he is scared to click on things because the last time he managed to get a rougue dialler complete with 'searchbar' and god knows what else.

Ian
entwisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2005, 07:20   #26
Resident Waffler

Quote:
Originally Posted by vorlon24
Does Busman know that you are doing that instead of his ironing then???
Yes but he's learned to put up with it by now and I keep promising to teach him things.

Quote:
Doesn't everyone on here have Less trouble???
We've all learned to put up with that too. Life would be ever so dull without him.
But back to the plot:
Quote:
Originally Posted by entwisi
As far as user friendliness, Linux is different to Windows. Not harder just different. People who come to Linux from Windows have to learn a slightly different way of doing some things. If you went the other way I'm sure you would find windows exactly the same.
To get back to the plot:
When I first learned to use a "wordy processor" (quoting the Stanley Unwin ad - shows you how long ago that was) it was an Amstrad and used "locoscript" so when I "advanced" eventually to a PC with Microsoft Word I had to unlearn a lot of things and learn new ones. For a while I was so used to the way things had been that I found fault with the new system all the time and was sure it was nowhere near as good but over the years I've got used to it and have to admit now that there are many advantages. I still liked the old clipboard system which locoscript used though and there are still things I'm learning.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2005, 09:24   #27
Senior Member+

I remember Locoscript!

The school I went to ran evening classes, and I was asked to teach one chap Locoscript as I was the only one there who knew it inside out.

I should have asked for payment, shouldn't I!!!

Old 28-01-2005, 09:50   #28
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Quote:
I remember Locoscript!

The school I went to ran evening classes, and I was asked to teach one chap Locoscript as I was the only one there who knew it inside out.

I should have asked for payment, shouldn't I!!!
When Roy was at school & the teachers used the new computer for doing the school reports he was constantly being asked to go & show them how to use the p.c.
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2005, 10:08   #29
Senior Member+

dont understand alot of what you lot are talking about.Not clued up with computers.I wonder if I can log on here with my daughters V-TECH Laptop..LOL
Old 28-01-2005, 10:25   #30
Senior Member+

Of course you can!!!

Is it the letter fun laptop? We got one for our son a few years ago now, and now his sister plays with it!

I can't believe the batteries still work after all this time

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..