Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Technical & User to User help > Crash Computers Chat
Donate! Join Today

Crash Computers Chat Let's talk computers! Got a problem with your computer? Need some advice? Got any great tips?

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 20-05-2005, 09:45   #1

network pondering

Okay i have a slight network problem at home. Ok the problem is solvably in many different ways just chcking to see what everyones suggestion is

I have the following

(1) 1 PC With 54G Wireless Card Upstairs In ROOM 1 (win98)

(2) 1 PC With Wired Network Card Upstairs in ROOM 2 (mandriva 10.1 linux)

(3) 1 PC With 54G and Wired Upstairs in ROOM 2 (winXP)

(4) Wireless Laptop Roams (mandrake linux )

(5) 1 PC With Wireless connection in ROOM 3 (wireless connection here is unrealiable and 3 wireless cards of different brands and speed later and its still unreliable, this machine has also been moved around the house with same problem, some kind of wired solution will fix this) (windows XP)

(6) 1 Netgear ADSL Wireless router with integrated Switch (ROOM 4)

Now i came up with several soluitions, im skint atm so spending little or no money is an advantage.

I could wire in a phone extension from ROOM 4 to ROOM 3 and then using a crossover cable wire (2) to (3) and using windows XPs bridging facility bridge the two networks, This already failed (the bridging part) so bums to M$.

Second i could again wire in phone extension from ROOM 4 to ROOM 3 to enable the router to be connected to the machine that doesnt appear compatable with wirless then run a CAT5 cable from there to the server upstairs solving both problems. Downside ive just decorated and layed laminate flooring so drilling and attaching wires at this stage is a last resort.

Third i could place a wireless bridge (accesspoint) to (5) and to (2) which would not only fix the problems but boost my wireless coverage around the house and the neighbor hood :P downside, I dont have two wireless access points spare or at all nor the cash currently to purchase them (however from decorating ive got loads of stuff for sale so if you wish to purchase a load of stuff feel free)

Does anyone else have any other suggestions as to how i might fix the problem. Perhaps somone even knows a way of improoving the stability of that dodgy wireless connection but i have spent a long time on it, 3 network cards many sets of drivers even changed other hardware in the box in case of incompatability but im still missing something The network works its just more unreliable than using TCP/IP over yogert pots or carrier pigeon.

Cheers you peeps

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..