Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Technical & User to User help > Crash Computers Chat
Donate! Join Today

Crash Computers Chat Let's talk computers! Got a problem with your computer? Need some advice? Got any great tips?

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 29-04-2005, 22:28   #1
God Member

Serious techy stuff for Nerds and Weirdos

Some of you know I use an alternative Operating System called Linux. A lot of people install it as a 'second' option and they choose either Windows or Linux from a menu when the computer starts up.

Well, I also have an iPod and some clever peeps have even written a version of Linux for the iPod(including a real techy and ingenious solution to ripping the boot firmware from 4G and Photo iPods) . At the moment Audio playback is only working on 1st to 3rd Gen iPods but the games etc work fine on 4G,Mini and Photo iPods.

So, installed and working( one minor hitch when I forgot one step ). I now have a dual boot iPod with Pong, Othello, Minesweeper, Tunnel Asteroids and other games as well as File Browsing and other fun.

Interested? check out the Wiki here

www.wikipodlinux.org

Aint technology Brilliant!
entwisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 30-04-2005, 18:10   #2
God Member

Re: Serious techy stuff for Nerds and Weirdos

Indeed very cool, a friend of mine has Linux on his ipod too..

It's the only thing worth buying an ipod for over the Sony HD3 I went got the HD3 anyway 'cause I didn't know about the linux-ipod thing at the time
andrewb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2005, 18:30   #3
Roy
Administrator

grrrrr... I want to do this but I've gone and left my ipod in england How long did it take to complete the whole process Ian?
Roy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2005, 08:47   #4
God Member

About 3 minutes start to finish if you follow the instructions properly(I'm too eager sometimes ) . There is even a windows installer!

Ian
Old 02-05-2005, 20:45   #5
God Member

I tried to get Linux on my Ipaq today.. then realised that like, the only one they HAVNT done linux for is the h4100, mine.

/cry

*Continues to generate his rainbow tables*
Old 03-05-2005, 08:41   #6
God Member

Time for an upgrade then mate!
Old 03-05-2005, 09:32   #7
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by entwisi
Time for an upgrade then mate!
I never used it anyway..
Thought I had finaly found a use!
Old 03-05-2005, 10:56   #8
God Member

My Dell Axim gets plenty of hammer, GPS, Ebook reader, games machine, PIM duties, Streaming MP3s over the wifi network to listen in the garden etc.

I did find a Linux project that would run on it but lost it again. The bit that put me off at that time is that you needed to do a hard reset and so lose all the stuff you had installed under PPC. Maybe I'll have another look into it.

Ian
Old 04-05-2005, 15:03   #9
I am Banned

on a similar note linux and windows98 can be run on the xbox

windows xp was sucessfull installed on a xbox but even with the memory upgrade it ran very slowley and wasnt worth the hassle
chav1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2005, 15:55   #10
God Member

Nowt new there then
Old 04-05-2005, 16:29   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy
grrrrr... I want to do this but I've gone and left my ipod in england How long did it take to complete the whole process Ian?
Craigs coming out in a few weeks Roy, if you want me to dig it out, let me know.

People work for money!
If you want loyalty, get a dog!!!
WINGY is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..