Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Technical & User to User help > Crash Computers Chat
Donate! Join Today

Crash Computers Chat Let's talk computers! Got a problem with your computer? Need some advice? Got any great tips?

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-08-2006, 19:45   #1
God Member

New laptop

A new laptop is on its waqy though the post to me, but just contemplating whether tou use firefox..always used IE but lots of people seem to think firefox is better, what so good about it????
Old 10-08-2006, 19:52   #2
God Member

Re: New laptop

95+% of the internet use ie.. some of the other 5% use firefox.. you get to see wonky webpages and you get to tell people how clever you are because you dont use ie..

Personally i prefer to see what the rest of the internet is seeing

PS the reason you see wonky webpages is because firefox like netscape etc will render the pages correctly.. there are so many badly made web pages out there that ie loads as the author thinks they should.. thus they dont get fixed.. along comes proppelor head with firefox and everythings all over the place..

Unless you just feel you want to be different i wouldnt bother
Old 10-08-2006, 22:02   #3
God Member

Whereas I would , I would also recommend Opera now its free.

TBH as with all things in life, try them all and stick with what you prefer. I can't get along without tabbed browsing, pop up stoppers, tab previews, and all those lovely little touches that Opera offers. Its rare that I use anything else now even at work.

as for percentages, the 'other' browsers are regularly eating into IEs dominance. I reckon it won't be long before its a much more equal footing particularly as China and India (teh two most populous nations in teh world) are both heavily into open source hence Firefox, konqueror, Opera etc all under Linux.

Technical God, No 1 Geek And Linux Guru

Have you seen my Flickr pictures?

entwisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2006, 22:11   #4
God Member

hehehe they said netscape would eat into ie dominance and it never did.. then they said opera would and it didn't.. then they said firefox would and it certainly isn't doing..

to be clear.. i would like to see firefox be the dominant browser and everyone use it.. because it doesnt suffer fools gladly like ie does and would mean developers have to progam properly.. they wouldnt get away with as much... but it simply isnt happening and as a developer myself.. i may test using firefox but I have to use IE and see what the majority of other people see.

I know all the arguments so save your fingers people truth is firefox has a very small less than 5% of the market and always will have while microsoft hold all the monopoly cards.. when new computers etc being sold have firefox installed as standard and ie needs downloading... then it will get its fair share and not before..
Old 10-08-2006, 22:17   #5
God Member

Haven't we been here before matey!

Old 12-08-2006, 13:21   #6
God Member

I thought firefox was getting preinstalled on Dell pc's now?
And its more like 10% I thought, though arguing over 5% is hardly worth it

Edit: Onestat.com seems to believe its 12% Mwhaha

Last edited by andrewb; 12-08-2006 at 13:26.
andrewb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2006, 14:30   #7
God Member

also another question..my laptop has come with blutooth but i dont have a clue how to switch it on....any ideas???
Old 13-08-2006, 17:49   #8
God Member

Acers, there are two buttons/lights at the front of teh laptop, one is wifi, teh other is Bluetooth.

Usually, left for b/t right for wifi

Old 14-08-2006, 10:56   #9
I am Banned

stick to explorer mate..

i use firefox but always find myself occasionaly having to use explorer for some sites

also you cant use firefox to use windows update and another downside is that firefox dosnt come as a complete package and i find myself been asked to install various plugins which isnt realy a problem in its self but the firefox site is a sod to navigate and find what you want

easy surfing use explorer

want a blue peter badge use firefox
chav1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2006, 11:14   #10
I am Banned

Windows updates come thro anyway so dont neccessarily need to go onto windows update site....besides with firefox you can get onto accyweb easily with Cyfr's pluggin - thats what matters hehehehe
accymel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2006, 14:12   #11
God Member

Right, ive downloaded open office as i refuse to shell out any more cash for microsoft office

One problem is that there is no program in open office for the equivalent to publisher, any help any program that is similar that i can download? preferably one that will open publisher files as well

Last edited by John_Timmins; 14-08-2006 at 23:08.
John_Timmins is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..