Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Technical & User to User help > Crash Computers Chat
Donate! Join Today

Crash Computers Chat Let's talk computers! Got a problem with your computer? Need some advice? Got any great tips?

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 29-10-2006, 16:21   #1

New Laptop Problem

I have recently bought a advent laptop and belkin router from pc world in blackburn, the problem i have been having is with the wireless connection.
I have been in touch with both pc world and belkin but i am still having problems. When i boot up the laptop it does not connect with the router immediately, it takes about 4-5mins or so.

The only way i can get onto the web is by attaching a lead from laptop to router, it defeats the object of having a router.

Also, a while ago i had a room plastered and the plasterer ripped the phone line from the wall and never re-connected it, i did it myself by putting 2 wires into the ports within the white box, my worries are that i have not wired it up properly as there are quite a few other wires there not connected to anything. The phone stills works fine and the broadband likewise.

Any help would be greatfully recieved. Cheers.

p.s. it's tiscali broadband.
spud is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 29-10-2006, 18:14   #2

Re: New Laptop Problem

si give me a ring. i bought a wireless thing and can't get it to work.
stanerlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2006, 19:53   #3
God Member

Spud,

There are two bits to consider. your internet connection is now made up of two parts, the internal network and the internet part.

What bit takes the 4-5 minutes? Is it getting a wireless connection to the router or a connection to the internet?

One other thing to consider is who controls your wireless adaptor. In Windows it is possible that Windows or Belking drivers configures it. I have found that when windows is trying to do it it isn't very good at it on certain makes and models of adaptors. Julies Laptop can suffer the same symptoms from time to time and its normally Windows at fault.

Technical God, No 1 Geek And Linux Guru

Have you seen my Flickr pictures?

entwisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2006, 20:13   #4

Thanks for that, i think i'm gonna ring someone out of the paper to have a look at it.
Old 31-10-2006, 07:23   #5
God Member

I'd be interested in how much they charge /hour. TBH If i its as I suspect Windows itself trying to manage the wifi connection I doubt they will be able to do much as they can't change any settings except maybe fixing IP addresses etc. Then its all down to how windows zero config stuff wants to handle the connect request.

PS, re the phone wires bit, you only need two wires, in my setup its the two blue ones but it depends on how BT wired it up at the main box outside.

One last Q, when you said 4-5 mins, from what point did you count it and did you actually time it or guess(it always feels like ages when in reality its 2 mins or so).

I have actually thought of another way to test it but it is a bit more techie, if you want me to explain, let me know

Technical God, No 1 Geek And Linux Guru

Have you seen my Flickr pictures?

entwisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2006, 20:17   #6

I bought a Belkin router from PC World in Blackburn too and I have nothing but problems with mine! I can connect straight away but only stay online for a bit (time varies), then an amber lights come on my router and I lose the connection. The only way I can re-connect is to pull the mains lead out the back of the Belkin, wait a couple of seconds then plug it back in and it reconnects - for a while, then have to do it over and over again. Really frustrating.
Kisser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2006, 20:38   #7

Are you aware that they do a lifetime gauratee on all belkin products, i was told they send a new one out and don't even ask for the old one back!

It might be worth givin 'em a ring.
Old 01-11-2006, 20:50   #8

Yeah you're right Spud - I do need to call them and get it sorted. I did send them an email and got a reply, something about changing my IP address but didnt understand their instructions. I will call them as I cant continue the way it is, but havent got off my backside to call them yet!
Old 04-11-2006, 14:19   #9
Junior Member+

lol I work at PC world in blackburn yeah alot of people have problems with the belkin routers if you come back i'll refund it for you and show you the netgear routers they are more stable and I'll give you 10% discount off

Chopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2006, 16:41   #10
God Member

I hear a lot about netgear being quite bad on certain models too..
I have a belkin 7633 I think, its adsl2+ and the best router I've ever tried.

You can even adjust things to give you a faster line (I normaly have a 17Mb line and I can make it connect at 20Mb)
Old 05-11-2006, 16:42   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chopper
lol I work at PC world in blackburn yeah alot of people have problems with the belkin routers if you come back i'll refund it for you and show you the netgear routers they are more stable and I'll give you 10% discount off

Many thanks chops, thats just what ik wanted to hear, being on hold for 40 mins and still not reslving the problem does get under your skin to put it very politley...anyway bud, could you send me a pm so i know who to ask for when i land.

Once again many thanks!
Old 06-11-2006, 07:45   #12

Chopper - do I need the receipt?
Old 06-11-2006, 10:03   #13
Junior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kisser
Chopper - do I need the receipt?

Afraid so yeah, that barcode at the bottom of the receipt is what i need for a refund.
Chopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2006, 10:16   #14
Resident Waffler

We've got an Actiontek router and Belkin wirless thingy wotsits and no problems with connection. I did set the IP number thingies manually though because the auto doings was causing probs as Entwisi may remember at the time. Followed his advce and hey presto - no probs. Unless you count Bulldog's end but that's nothing to do with us.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2006, 17:46   #15

Hi willowthewhisp - I think I need to email you as thats what Belkin told me to do "change my ip" thingies (real technical bird here you know!). Could you let me know how I do that please?

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..