Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Technical & User to User help > Crash Computers Chat
Donate! Join Today

Crash Computers Chat Let's talk computers! Got a problem with your computer? Need some advice? Got any great tips?

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-04-2005, 18:00   #16
Roy
Administrator

Re: Operating systems

Quote:
Anyone got any tips on how to do a backup quickly?
Yup - external hard drive. I have 2 solutions for this, 1 tiny ibm thing which is usb2 and has a 40gig laptop drive in it and 1 5 1/4 external drive bay that takes full size 'large' hard drives. These things are not that expensive really, especially when you consider the time it takes you to do backups to cd!

Hmmm... thinking again... I am laptop based so I have to go external hard drive, cheapest and fastest option for you is to shove another drive in your computer and copy everything across.
Roy is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 12-04-2005, 18:25   #17
God Member

If you are shoving another disk in the PC then why noy just stick Linux on that, No need to repartition the main drive at all. Disks are dirt cheap nowadays, £60 will buy you oodles of space. If you want to put it in an external USB case they are ~£30.

Mandrake will also repartition automatically and add the bootloader etc. It is probaby one of the easiest installs going. I reckon on about an hour start to finish including all the software, Office suites, Browsers, Email clients, Games, etc.

Jason, I too think you won't get the license or disk for your £30. In other words, it will be a dodgy copy. One where when you connect to update you will be blown out at best, reported to FAST at worst.

ian
entwisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2005, 18:30   #18
Resident Waffler

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason
Decided to get xp on it,got a guy coming out tomorow to do it.
Is this a professional guy? Would a pro sell a dodgy copy? That's not a very nice thing to do.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2005, 20:20   #19

I will let you know how it goes tomorrow and what happened.

Jason

jason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2005, 22:51   #20
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillowTheWhisp
Is this a professional guy? Would a pro sell a dodgy copy? That's not a very nice thing to do.
Not many pro's would do the job for £30 even without supplying the software.
Old 13-04-2005, 07:35   #21
God Member

I agree, a pro should be looking at £30/hour minimum for his time, Installing Windows is at least a 2 hour job.
Old 13-04-2005, 07:45   #22
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by entwisi
I agree, a pro should be looking at £30/hour minimum for his time, Installing Windows is at least a 2 hour job.
The old PC has Windows Millenium on it so i would agree with your 2 hours. XP might run slow on the PC as well. What sort of spec is the PC Jason?
Old 13-04-2005, 10:04   #23
God Member

I've run XP on as low as a P2 266 with 128M ram. It was OK when it was running but some stuff took a while in starting up.
Old 14-04-2005, 11:15   #24

It took him about an hour and a half or so to install windows xp professional edition,Norton antivirus/firewall and the broadband,and all my dads hp office etc.
My parents are now happy with everything!!
I also have a boot up disc now as well!!

So it has all worked out ok.
......But thanks for your input!!

Jason

Old 14-04-2005, 11:16   #25
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!

So it was a dodgy copy then
Old 14-04-2005, 11:33   #26

I can go to windows update and update no problems,what does it matter as long as the bloody thing is working!!
It's just like having a dodgy copy of an album downloded off the net.

Anyway i'm done with this one!!

Old 14-04-2005, 11:53   #27
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason
I can go to windows update and update no problems,what does it matter as long as the bloody thing is working!!
It's just like having a dodgy copy of an album downloded off the net.

Anyway i'm done with this one!!
At the moment you can get updates but it doesn't take long for Microsoft to notice multiple PCs with the same serial number connecting for the same updates from multiple IP address's. Then they block that serial number and you are stufffed.

Also I find it strange that people are prepared to pirate so much software . How would you like your employer dropping your wages to 1/10th of what they are? Software has been written by someone who does it (on the whole) as a method of employment. It has normally taken years of training and a lot of time to produce software of commercial quality. By pirating it you are taking money out of that persons/companies pocket.
Old 14-04-2005, 13:24   #28
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!

With profits like those below Microsoft could sell its software for a tenth of its current prices and still make good profits.

Microsoft Profit Up 11%; Forecast Is Mixed

By Jonathan Krim
Washington Post Staff Writer
Friday, October 22, 2004; Page E05

Microsoft Corp.'s quarterly earnings rose 11 percent over the comparable quarter last year, but projections for the current quarter were mixed.

For its fiscal first quarter, which ended Sept. 30, the company announced a profit of $2.9 billion, up from $2.6 billion. Revenue was $9.2 billion, up from $8.2 billion.
Old 14-04-2005, 15:07   #29
Senior Member+

Irrelevant.

BT could give everyone free local calls and still make a profit, as same exchange calls do not cost them anything.

Pirate software/music is theft, and it doesn't matter how many statistics you can churn out

vorlon24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2005, 19:55   #30
God Member

I'm actually surprised they are so low. I used to work for a bank. This year they put in profits of nearly twice what Microsoft have done. For a company whose software is sold worldwide and is commonly accepted as the most popular OS in a market of how many billion people £2.9 billion is peanuts.

Vorlon is quite right though, it is theft. I always said, someone who is prepared to steal software has done the same as someone who breaks in and steals your TV. Yet one is deemed 'acceptable' teh other we scream at our politicians that they aren't being punished enough.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..