Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Technical & User to User help > Crash Computers Chat
Donate! Join Today

Crash Computers Chat Let's talk computers! Got a problem with your computer? Need some advice? Got any great tips?

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 17-04-2007, 06:17   #1

pc world

I GOT MY LAP TOP FROM PC WORLD LAST SEPTEMBER I DIDNT TAKE ANY WARRENTY OUT ON IT AND MY DVD/DISCDRIVE HAS GONE DOWN .BEING IT IS NOT YET 12 MONTHS OLD WOULD THEY HAVE TO FIX IT ?
Accrington Web
Old 17-04-2007, 06:21   #2
Resting in Peace

Re: pc world

I would have thought so, you have a 12 months warranty
Have you still got a shop receipt ?
if so you should not have a problem
Mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2007, 06:23   #3

Yes Still Got It Mick .i Will Give Them A Call See What They Say
Old 17-04-2007, 06:50   #4
God Member

Legally yes. Even beyond the 12 months 'official' warranty there is protection under the sale of goods act that says things should last a 'reasonable period', 12 montsh is not a reasonable lifespan for a CD drive. You do have to start sending letters etc to get it sorted but as soon as you start quoting SoGA they usually fall over and sort it.

Technical God, No 1 Geek And Linux Guru

Have you seen my Flickr pictures?

entwisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2007, 07:20   #5
God Member

As it's PC World you may have to explain to them what a laptop is
Old 17-04-2007, 07:56   #6
Resident Waffler

made me titter there Dave.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2007, 19:32   #7
God Member

You'll prob have to send it to the manufacturers.

I was sick on my laptop once upon a time, and the "a" key stopped working after a few days, I took it to PC World (I had insurance with PC World) they said to just send it to Sony under warranty. Sony picked it up by courier and returned it a week later fixed, after I had a bit of debate with them when I refused to install Windows because I said they didn't need to boot the computer up so linux was fine..
Old 17-04-2007, 23:16   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancsdave View Post
As it's PC World you may have to explain to them what a laptop is
yes i like that one very good but true
madmal_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2007, 14:51   #9
Apprentice Geriatric

Cool Re: pc world

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyfr View Post
You'll prob have to send it to the manufacturers.

I was sick on my laptop once upon a time, and the "a" key stopped working after a few days, I took it to PC World (I had insurance with PC World) they said to just send it to Sony under warranty. Sony picked it up by courier and returned it a week later fixed, after I had a bit of debate with them when I refused to install Windows because I said they didn't need to boot the computer up so linux was fine..
You were conned Cyfr.

It is the vendor who is responsible for the quality of the goods sold, not the manufacturer and the vendor should arrange for any repairs to be carried out. If the defect warranted a refund or a replacement you would get it from the vendor and not the manufacturer.

However many vendors try it on because few people know their rights and just accept what the vendor tells them.
Old 06-06-2007, 15:03   #10
Resident Waffler

The retailer is certainly responsible for the quality of goods sold but is the retailer responsible for the purchaser being sick on the keyboard?

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2007, 15:09   #11
Senior Member+

Why was he conned?

I know that in the shop where i work you have the first 28 days warranty with us and the rest is with Sony also the same with Microsoft that is not the shops doing its sonys choice they like to take the guarantee themselves you incurr no problems like cyfr said they picked it up and dropped it off i dont see how he was being conned its not like every shop has their own Sony workperson in the back to fix problems now is it,
at the end of the day if they can fix the problem they will if not then you get a new one. A laptop/pc has memory and stuff on that you might not want to lose which you would if you just got a new laptop/pc!
Old 06-06-2007, 19:36   #12
Apprentice Geriatric

No WillowTheWhisp, Cyfr was responsible for being sick all over the keyboard but said he he had insurance with PC World and that makes the shop the vendor of the insurance. If you have your car insurance through a broker any claims are dealt with by the broker.

It doesn’t matter what the shop owner or manufacturer think MUMMIBOO it is the Sale of Goods Act that rules the roost. Anything the shop or manufacturer offers is over and above the SoGA and the SoGA takes precedence.

The shop should have taken Cyfr’s laptop off him and sent it on to Sony.

The point is the greater number of shops that get away with circumventing the SoGA the more likely it is that it will become an established practice and undermine the SoGA.

Many shops drive a coach and horses through the SoGA because as I stated earlier most people do not know their rights when buying something.
Old 06-06-2007, 19:58   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by davo69 View Post
I GOT MY LAP TOP FROM PC WORLD LAST SEPTEMBER I DIDNT TAKE ANY WARRENTY OUT ON IT AND MY DVD/DISCDRIVE HAS GONE DOWN .BEING IT IS NOT YET 12 MONTHS OLD WOULD THEY HAVE TO FIX IT ?
I take it the caps lock is also broke.

Anyway yes, they have to provide a repair or refund due to Section 14 of the Sale of Goods Act 1979.

The clauses of the Act relevant in this case are:

Section 14 (2) Where the seller sells goods in the course of a business, there is an implied term that the goods supplied under the contract are of satisfactory quality.

This basically states that any good bought should be of resonable quality.

Section 14
(2A) For the purposes of this Act, goods are of satisfactory quality if they meet the standard that a reasonable person would regard as satisfactory, taking account of any description of the goods, the price (if relevant) and all the other relevant circumstances.

This means that the price of an item does have an affect on the "quality" you can reasonably expect, if you pay £3.50 on a toaster and it breaks after 13 months you don't have a claim, however if you pay £2000 for a top spec laptop you can reasonably expect it to last for 24 months + (though there is no strict deadline to how long a particular item should "last" for there is a maximum of 6 years, it is up to the judges discresion to decide what a "reasonable" amount of time is to expect a particular good to last for.

Section 14 (5) The preceding provisions of this section apply to a sale by a person who in the course of a business is acting as agent for another as they apply to a sale by a principal in the course of a business, except where that other is not selling in the course of a business and either the buyer knows that fact or reasonable steps are taken to bring it to the notice of the buyer before the contract is made.

This is the one which means that PC World cannot fob you off with the excuse of "send it to the manufacturer" The contract of sale is between YOU AND THE SUPPLIER it is their reponsibility to provide a repair/replacement and no one else's

Now this is never easy, as companies like to ignore this law, claiming there is nothing they can do after 28 days/3 months/ 12 months due to "company policy" I myself am in the process of trying to get it through to woolworths who sold me an xbox 360 that broke after 14 months that it does not matter if it is company policy not to issue a replacement after 28 days, it is a matter of law that they are legally obliged to.

Top that off with the fact you are going to be dealing with PC World who are the top of the league for bad handling of returns and you've got a fight on your hands.

Here is a link to the whole of the Sale Of Goods Act 1979 as ammended up to 2003 Sale of Goods Act 1979 as amended up to date to 1/10/2003

Here is a link to a government quick fact sheet on the law Sale of Goods Act Quick Facts - DTI

I'd advise you to print off Section 14 of the act and the whole of the fact sheet and take it with you when you go to PC World to show them the law they will attempt to ignore. Do not leave until you get what you want, ask to speak to the manager etc etc etc etc etc and goodluck, you'll need it.

Edit: Hehe there were no replies when I started writing that XD

Last edited by SamF; 06-06-2007 at 20:02.
SamF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2007, 20:12   #14
Apprentice Geriatric

Much obliged for your detailed report of the SoGA SamF. Have some Karma.

I would just add that you should NEVER take out any additional warranty when buying electrical goods. Some used to have a clause in it that meant you signed away your rights under the SoGA in favour of the warranty even if the warranty was due to come into effect after the first 12 months and some did not but started on the day of purchse.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..