Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Technical & User to User help > Crash Computers Chat
Donate! Join Today

Crash Computers Chat Let's talk computers! Got a problem with your computer? Need some advice? Got any great tips?

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 25-11-2004, 20:41   #1

service pack 2

anyone had any problems with sp2 since installing i struggle to turn pc on it shuts down within seconds of starting it and takes about 20 attempts also cant log onto my msn or yahoo email accounts and keep getting errors on web pages or not responding and my system log might as well be called system errors with the amount on it the main ones being win32 time wont synchronise and dcp/ip not sure about uninstalling it though heard you ve to change some of the bios and go in safe mode
rockrabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 25-11-2004, 20:59   #2
Len
God Member

Re: service pack 2

Hi rockrabbit.

It’s a bit over my head but if you are using widows XP how about trying the system restore. Or doing a virus scan, if you can get in.
Len is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2004, 21:11   #3
Resident Waffler

Are you on AOL? There's a thingy AOL say you need once you've got service Pack 2. Maybe the same applies to other ISPs also.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2004, 04:51   #4

thx but run a virus scan daily and adaware and spybot and run zonealarm plus have my windows firewall i dotn take any chances with viruses do to losing everything on my pc 3 times now and no dont run aol im on ntl just have aim messenger its removing sp2 that bothers me dont want it taking any win32 files on uninstalling i can cope with my computer struggling to start as i wont turn it off again but have been wondering if i put firefox on will it sort my internet out
rockrabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2004, 06:54   #5
Resident Waffler

Have you checked if ntl needs any sort of update to be compatible with sp2?

I've got IE and had no problems with sp2 but have also been toying with the temptation of Firefox for a while now so would be interested to know how you get on.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2004, 08:11   #6
Senior Member+

From the problems you seem to be experiencing it sounds like you might have a virus, even though you say you don't take any chances.

The only problem I have had with sp2 is a compatibility issue with a program that I use for my job. My main pc won't run it, but the laptop (which doesn't have it installed) will.

Is there a Windows troubleshooter that can help?
vorlon24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2004, 09:54   #7
God Member

Try going into safe mode by pressing F8 before you get the Windpws XP loading screen(i.e. just after the POST/BIOS screen). Then go into system restore and return to a point prior to teh install of SP2. It should remove SP2. Then reboot. If it still refuses to play ball then you have a more fundamental problem. Installing Firefox is unlikely to help as it seems the underlying Internet stuff (TCP/IP) is shafted. A reinstall is your next option.

Just as a poit, the Windows firewall before SP2 is only a one way deal. It will stop stuff trying to get in but has NO control over something trying to get out like key loggers/trojans etc. Get a decent Firewall. There are loads for free. I persoanlly would recommend Zone Alarm but its up to you who you choose.

Ian
entwisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2004, 11:33   #8
God Member

BT has issues with Service Pack 2 as well. I lost my internet connection when I installed it.
Old 26-11-2004, 11:36   #9
Senior Member+

BT has issues with anything regarding service apparently.

I know at least 2 people who have taken legal action against them, and won!

Doesn't beat ntl though...
Old 26-11-2004, 12:24   #10

service pack 2 sucks, on the two machines at work that somehow got it i had to reformat them both to resolve the problems i was having system restore and uninstall didnt work no way no how.
Old 26-11-2004, 12:44   #11
Roy
Administrator

Hmmmm.... am I the only person to have installed sp2 to 2 machines and not had a single problem....?
Roy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2004, 12:46   #12
Senior Member+

It would appear so...!
Old 26-11-2004, 12:49   #13

at the end of the day roy its all a matter of what you do with those machines and how they are setup . Ive never isntalled SP2 at home cos it just wasnt nessasary. and at work in auto installed on both my bosses pc and bosses laptop and ive had no end of internet mainly problems since, and some problems with sage line 50. SP2 is still on his pc. when i let his pc access the internet we have intermittant dns problems and sometimes when the other computer are booted on a morning they dont get dhcp assigned ip addresses from the router, this only accours when his pc is not blocked from accessing the internet, and i have no other problems with any other computers apart from the ones with sp2 on.
Old 26-11-2004, 12:54   #14
I am Band

Ever since i downloaded SP2, when i power on there is a prompt comes up when the user log-in screen appears. It says something along the lines of, "Gearsec encountered a problem and needs to close." So I close it, log in, when the windows desktop comes up, this message appears again, so once again i have to close it. I don't have a clue what Gearsec is, or does. This has only reared its head since install of SP2.

Any ramblings, meanderings, thoughts or musings are mine and mine alone. Any opinions expressed are Lettie's!
Sparkologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2004, 13:11   #15
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

I did read that some of the problems were caused by pc manufacturers fitting prossesors that are out of spec' to the mother-boards. They of course deny this micro soft welcomes this excuse with open arms. there are quite a few articles about sp2 on the computeractive site, here is just one example.

http://www.computeractive.co.uk/features/1159142
Less is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..