Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Technical & User to User help > Crash Computers Chat
Donate! Join Today

Crash Computers Chat Let's talk computers! Got a problem with your computer? Need some advice? Got any great tips?

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-11-2004, 07:10   #1
Resident Waffler

wma to mp3?

Does anyone know of a program (dowload maybe?) which can convert wma files to mp3?

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 12-11-2004, 07:46   #2
God Member

Re: wma to mp3?

You don't want to do it. Both are lossy formats so the end result will sound awful. Same goes for Ogg.

Rip it again and encode as MP3 or Ogg.

Ian
entwisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2004, 07:56   #3

tis true however if your stuck with some downloaded wma files then i do have at home somewhere some audio conversion software that does most formats to most formats, ill try and remember when i get home to have a look
Old 12-11-2004, 08:03   #4
Resident Waffler

Quote:
Originally Posted by entwisi
Rip it again and encode as MP3 or Ogg.
Not sure I can do that. I'm a bit woolly at times. Once I get the hang of what I'm doing I'm OK but It takes me a while. I just got the new version of WMP and I'm already baffled by things not being where they were before.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poodle
tis true however if your stuck with some downloaded wma files then i do have at home somewhere some audio conversion software that does most formats to most formats, ill try and remember when i get home to have a look
Thanks Poodle. I appreciate that. I've got some things on here which are wma and I'd like them to be mp3. I hope I'll be able to follow it. If I can't then Busman probably will although I think he depairs of me at times. I do a lot of thinking and dithering where he pushes buttons and worries about it later. (Not that I'm saying anything about the half a program I've been left with on here. )

Old 12-11-2004, 09:55   #5
God Member

Get some different ripping software(and playing software but then most people know I don't liek Microsoft, Winamp is Nice, Realplayer is full of spyware), Audiograbber is meant to be OK for windows. You can get it at Tucows or download.com

Ian
Old 12-11-2004, 12:02   #6

for ripping audio to mp3 although audio grabber is fine it only grabs and you need to attach an encoder to it. there is a version of audiograbber called audio catalyst which containcts the mp3 encoder by xing and everything you needs so its just simpler to use at the end of the day.

I have to agree winamp is the thing to playback your music and when you have installed it dont forget to check out www.di.fm
Old 24-11-2004, 11:16   #7
Senior Member+

I have used cdex in the past to convert .wav to mp3 but it was awhile ago and I don't know where you'll find it now, but possibly a google search will find it.

I don't know if it converts .wma files though...
vorlon24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2004, 13:11   #8
Resident Waffler

Hey thanks for all the advice folks.

I decided the laziest/easiest way was to burn the thing to CD and then re-rip it.

Old 24-11-2004, 19:30   #9
God Member

Err this is not going to help you in the quality stakes.

When you burn the WMAs back to Audio CD the inforamtion that was lost during conversion to WMA is still missing. When you then rip to MP3 it loses some more info.

You need to 'aquire' an original copy or get a first gen MP3 version of it.

Ian
Old 24-11-2004, 21:13   #10
Resident Waffler

If the original had had any sort of "quality" in the first place I see what you mean.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..