Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Technical & User to User help > Crash Computers Chat
Donate! Join Today

Crash Computers Chat Let's talk computers! Got a problem with your computer? Need some advice? Got any great tips?

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-03-2007, 12:47   #1
Senior Member+

Slow PC

All of a sudden my PC has become very, very slow. Sometimes it just won't do anything. I get the "Programme is not responding" I did a virus check last night with my AVG and it said no viruses detected. I did another one this morning and they normally take about 40mins but this one had taken nearly 2hrs, and not finished before the PC totally crashed. When I switched it back on the blue start up screen came on and it first said:

Checking file system C:
The type of the file system is NTFS
The volume is dirty

Then something about recovering lost files and orphaned files. I know a bit about computers but I'm totally lost on this one! Should I get another anti virus and check it with that one. AVG is the only one I use. I know I should probably have a couple going. But dont know which to use.
HELP!!!
Lolly is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 09-03-2007, 12:49   #2
I am Banned

Re: Slow PC

Have u done disk cleanup - removing temp net files etc will help remove un neccessary junk slowing pc down??

My computer >> right click on hard drive [C] >> properties >> disk cleanup

OR

Programs >> assessories >> system tools >> disk cleanup
accymel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2007, 12:56   #3
Senior Member+

Will try that now Mel. I can just do that now it wont erase anything I use will it?? God i'm blonde today!! lol
Old 09-03-2007, 12:57   #4
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lolly View Post
Will try that now Mel. I can just do that now it wont erase anything I use will it?? God i'm blonde today!! lol
No it wont just things u definately dont need thats clogging up pc
Old 09-03-2007, 13:00   #5
Senior Member+

Strange one, I would try as mel says.

I believe you can do a drive scan - type CHKDSK into google there is a few different options I believe you can run you could try the /f one but could be worth waiting for Entwi.

Also I believe you can only Run one Anti Virus at a time.

Here is a good list / Link of FREE Programs for various Anti-Vir,Spy,Mal Ect

http://www.webuser.co.uk/forums/show.../page/0#219333

Good luck I hate PC's Sometimes when they start plating up. But I suppose that half the fun.
Old 09-03-2007, 13:04   #6
I am Banned

Just reminded me to do me weekly scan Mr D hehehehe

Theres this one thats good & i use

http://free-adaware-download.com/freeadaware/

for all spyware/malware etc
Old 09-03-2007, 13:26   #7
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by accymel View Post
Just reminded me to do me weekly scan Mr D hehehehe

Theres this one thats good & i use

http://free-adaware-download.com/freeadaware/

for all spyware/malware etc
Thats is a good one, the above link is for loads of good FREE applications, quite a few from AVG too, Signed myself up as a bata tester.
Old 09-03-2007, 13:27   #8
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ***Mr D*** View Post
Thats is a good one, the above link is for loads of good FREE applications, quite a few from AVG too, Signed myself up as a bata tester.
Good job i scanned a had a few criticals all quarentined now
Old 09-03-2007, 13:35   #9
God Member

A dirty volume is one where the filesystem 'could' have become corrupted, This is a flag that normally forces windows to do a chkdisk at startup. You should run it manually. the way things are written to disk is in what is called chains, basiaclly its like a big circle and when something is added the chain is broken, teh new stuff added and the ends joined back up. what has happen is that your PC crashed whilst some of these chains hadn't been joined back up. this is called a 'lost chain' chkdisk can fix these by looking for both ends of the broken chain and joining them back up. Its not guraranteed that teh file won't still be corrupt but at least its a chance In reality it works 90% of the time.

Initially run chkdsk, it could be your hard disk is slowly dieing you will see loads of bad sectors if it is. If it is NOW is the time to burn off anything important. not in 10 mins or next week, NOW.

You should only need 1 AV, spyware/malware yes, 2 or 3 preferred. Firewalls and AV are 1 only.

Technical God, No 1 Geek And Linux Guru

Have you seen my Flickr pictures?

entwisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2007, 13:46   #10
Senior Member+

To Run a CHKDSK fix. IIRC

Open Command Prompt, type chkdsk/f - press retrun

IIRC this should run on a Re-Boot.

Hope this helps.
Old 09-03-2007, 13:57   #11
I am Banned

sounds like you had a bad shut down like somon pulling the plug out

if you keep getting teh blue screen start saving stuff to dvd or cd that you want to keep like pictures etc and preppare to buy a new hard drive
chav1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2007, 14:04   #12
Senior Member+

I've only had the blue screen once. The first time I ran chkdsk/f in command prompt it asked if I would like it to start when re-booted, i said yes. So I rebooted and nothing has happened. So I went back and typed it again and now it is saying: CHKDSK is not recognised as in internal or external command, operable programme or batch file!!
AAAAGGGHHHH!!! I'm starting to tear my hair out now. It seems to be running not to bad at the moment, but it does this when re-booted then slows down after a bit.
Old 09-03-2007, 14:06   #13
I am Banned

is teh hard drive making a louder noise than usual , thats a good sign they are going caput as well
chav1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2007, 14:07   #14
Senior Member+

No it sounds fine, hey up, starting to slow down again. I'm typing faster than its coming up on screen. Oh what fun!!
Old 09-03-2007, 14:12   #15
God Member

it normally lives in C:\windows\system32

Technical God, No 1 Geek And Linux Guru

Have you seen my Flickr pictures?

entwisi is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..