Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Technical & User to User help > Crash Computers Chat
Donate! Join Today

Crash Computers Chat Let's talk computers! Got a problem with your computer? Need some advice? Got any great tips?

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 18-07-2004, 12:57   #1

Question The page cannot be displayed

I Kept getting a problem i cant get to the bottom of. The computers connect to the inernet no problem and everthing looks ok until you open internet explorer or any other internet program. internet explorer displays the message "The page cannot be displayed", this some times can be intermittent but mosly its permanent. Now and again windows update fixes it but most of the time i have to commpleatly reinstall windows, a windows install repair does not fix the problem. I've had this problem on Windows XP and Windows 98, not yet seen it on any other OS.

DNS stops working correctly but i am not convinced this is the route of the problem. If a Router is used the problem disappears.

Thanks for any help or advice. Steve
Old 18-07-2004, 13:06   #2
God Member

Re: The page cannot be displayed

Quote:
Originally Posted by computersteve

DNS stops working correctly but i am not convinced this is the route of the problem. If a Router is used the problem disappears.
I dont follow DNS stops working correctly?

Have you tried different browser such as netscape...Not as an answer but to see if the problem is browser specific.

Who is your ISP?
Old 18-07-2004, 13:15   #3

Exclamation Re: The page cannot be displayed

All browsers and Internet programs Stop working, does not make any difference which isp you connect to, dialup or lan. By using ping to resolve a domain name to an ip will work some time which is telling me DNS is intermittently working. It isn't always exactly the same on every computer i fix.
Old 18-07-2004, 17:06   #4
Roy
Administrator

Sounds like your own network is kaput! Or your house is plagued with interference that wreaks havoc with computers!
Quote:
It isn't always exactly the same on every computer i fix.
If you have this problem with multiple computers then I would suggest it is a setting that you add yourself or software you add yourself. Try it with base windows install with no tweaking of your own. I find firewalls (especially multiple installs) cause chaos with your windows...
Roy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2004, 19:11   #5
Senior Member+

Got to agree with Roy sounds like your network set up is wonky, I had a similer problem when I networked my home using a Linsky router, I had to return 3 before I got one to work then I had to reinstall the software twice.
Some things I found out while trying to fix said problems...
Even if it tells you to do it, don't run Windows XP's Network Setup Wizard on the other networked computers. You want to make the Windows XP computer conform to the existing network. The Wizard wants to make the rest of the network conform to XP.
You must disable Windows XP's Internet Connection Firewall (ICF) on a local area network connection to other computers. If it's enabled on a LAN, ICF will block File and Printer Sharing.
Use the same protocol for File and Printer Sharing on all computers.
Remove all network protocols that aren't required for a specific purpose.
If you have multiple protocols, un-bind File and Printer Sharing from all but one. Using more than one protocol, even on just one networked computer, can make networking with XP unreliable.
If you assign IP addresses manually, use the same IP subnet on all computers.

Hope some of this helped.

Bazf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2004, 19:55   #6

Cool Re: The page cannot be displayed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy
Sounds like your own network is kaput! Or your house is plagued with interference that wreaks havoc with computers!...
These were not at home and not all installed by my self. Some were on dialup and one or two on NTL broadband. I have had many years of networking but have only come across this problem in the last 6 months. I was thinking on the lines of hacker or spy ware causing this problem.

The one I’m thinking of at the min is on NTL broadband. if he opens more than 3 or 4 windows in internet explorer or any other internet program, DNS fails to work and the client has to restart his computer before internet works.
How ever there is a Microsoft patch similar to this problem.

However this did not work for this computer but by putting a lan router inline it solved the problem, if the router is taken away the problem reappears.
Thanks for your ideas keep trying

Last edited by computersteve; 18-07-2004 at 20:09.
computersteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2004, 20:10   #7

Sorry can't find the microsoft patch, when i do i will post it here. It is in the windows update.
Old 19-07-2004, 11:21   #8

Cool Re: The page cannot be displayed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bazf
Even if it tells you to do it, don't run Windows XP's Network Setup Wizard on the other networked computers. You want to make the Windows XP computer conform to the existing network. The Wizard wants to make the rest of the network conform to XP.
You must disable Windows XP's Internet Connection Firewall (ICF) on a local area network connection to other computers. If it's enabled on a LAN, ICF will block File and Printer Sharing.
Sounds like you had a lot of fun with your network! Have you tried SP2 for XP its got a new ICF with more controll allowing File and Printer Sharing to be enabled or disabled and many other things aswell...
Old 19-07-2004, 20:26   #9
Senior Member+

It was great fun...........not, but I managed to learn a lot and that in the end helps me and hopefully others.
yes I have tried sp2 or should I say rc2 and thought it was ok but I have to wait for the full beta testing before I know if it is compatable with some of the sharing progs that I use for work.( also hope some of the companys we share progs with update). Did you solve your problem?

Old 19-07-2004, 23:33   #10

Quote:
Did you solve your problem?
No not yet, i came across it again tonight but saw it happen for my self. I uninstalled a program call "P2P networking" and after i had "The page cannot be displayed". i've seen this program before on other computer with this fault but don't know a lot about it!!!! Will have to look into it, If anyone can rule it out who has uninstalled and had no problems after or if you have had any problems like this it would be helpfull to hear. thanks steve.........
Old 20-07-2004, 02:34   #11
Senior Member+

Sorry Steve dont use peer 2 peer at all, after Kazza to much crap downloaded on your machine so its easier to do without.
http://ntrg.cs.tcd.ie/undergrad/4ba2.02-03/Intro.html
If you like reading this may have some gen but it seemed to deep for me.

Old 20-07-2004, 19:59   #12

Quote:
Sorry Steve dont use peer 2 peer at all, after Kazza to much crap downloaded on your machine so its easier to do without.
http://ntrg.cs.tcd.ie/undergrad/4ba2.02-03/Intro.html
Thanks that link helped. The problem lies in the Layered Service Provider.

http://www.cexx.org/lspfix.htm
http://www.kephyr.com/spywarescanner...ng/index.phtml

Some file sharing software uses this (explained better in the links) and when uninstalled stops the internet working "The page cannot be displayed" in internet explorer.
To fix: run a LSP-Fix, which fixes the Winsock 2 settings or a win xp fix which can be downloaded from http://tntmax.com/Download/Software/WinsockXPFix.exe.
!!!!!!!!!Always make a backup of the Registry before using this software!!!!!!!!!!!

The Microsoft way: How to determine and recover from Winsock2 corruption
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?kbid=811259

How to reset Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/default...b;EN-US;299357

Hope no ever has this problem, if you do please let me know i may be able to help.

Thanks steve

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..