Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Technical & User to User help > Crash Computers Chat
Donate! Join Today

Crash Computers Chat Let's talk computers! Got a problem with your computer? Need some advice? Got any great tips?

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-08-2005, 08:28   #1

Vanished Connection icon

I have a small problem,with my broadband connection icon;it's vanished from the taskbar.
I run windows Xp Home Edition,I have checked that the connection box in properties is ticked.
Anyone a solution to this as its very irritating.
Lampman is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 11-08-2005, 13:43   #2
Senior Member+

Re: Vanished Connection icon

Is it hiding - do you have an arrow that looks like this: < in a blue circle.

If you click on it it will unhide a load of icons, and it could be in there.

vorlon24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2005, 14:13   #3
God Member

Its broadband, it should be always on. What use do you need of it? I can't see how it adds any value.

Sorry it doesn't fix your 'problem' but I would rather question if you have a problem first.

Ian
entwisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2005, 14:35   #4
Resting in Peace

This is true Entwisi i have NTL but i have not got/ dont need/dont want an icon i switch pc on and i am online
Mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2005, 16:23   #5
Senior Member+

I don't always want to be online though - when I play San Andreas I like to turn off as many system resources as possible to keep them all for the game - it's laggy enough as it is.

So I turn off the AV and firewall when I play the game

vorlon24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2005, 17:41   #6
God Member

You can always just do teh disconnect in Network Connections. Personally if I need to get down to turning all that sort of stuff off to play a game I'd either buy a better PC or get a better written game. How do you know that these are what is hugging resources? There may be some wonderful windows process that is eating up loads of RAM and you are fiddling to save 20 M.

Performance tuning is a black art but there are loads of good articles out there if you look hard enough.

Ian
Old 12-08-2005, 16:07   #7

Well thanks for the help obviously not a problem then!
Lampman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2005, 20:53   #8
God Member

Lampman,
I personally don't consider it a problem. One thing you may find if you read some of my other posts is that I don't use Windows. Whilst I know quite a lot about fixing Windows(and I am happy to do so) I do not have an install to check finer details.

If you really want to get that icon back then I will suggest Google as a very good starting point. For example try this link http://www.google.com/search?q=windo...UTF-8&oe=UTF-8

Ian

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..