Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Technical & User to User help > Crash Computers Chat
Donate! Join Today

Crash Computers Chat Let's talk computers! Got a problem with your computer? Need some advice? Got any great tips?

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 30-01-2007, 12:31   #1
Resident Waffler

Vista

Well it's arrived at last, but apparently a lot of us won't be able to use it anyway because our PCs are not up to it.

Does it bother you?

Do you want it or are you happy with what you've got?

It doesn't seem 5 minutes since I was all excited about Windows98! I didn't like ME. I do like XP - so do I stay with what I know or do I desire greater things?

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 30-01-2007, 12:41   #2
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Re: Vista

Stick with what you've got, vista could be very poor, but expensive replacement.
Windows Vista security under fire
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2007, 13:00   #3
God Member

I was part of beta testing programme.

My view was that they made it secure by making it so damm annoying. everytime I wanted to do something it was popping up asking if I had permission. In teh end I got so fed up with it I turned it all off, probably making it less secure than ever.

Its needs far more resources to run, think 1 gig RAM minimum and a decent 3D graphics card (DirectX9 compatible). I also found (although being beta it may be different in the final release) that even simple programs were being marked as incompatible when you tried to install them. I've just bought a new laptop which as it comes with Media centre I get a free upgrade to Vista Premium edition when its available. I'll probably stick to my nice comfortable Linux and shove the Vista disk in the drawer till SP1 is out (BTW, due September 2007).

Technical God, No 1 Geek And Linux Guru

Have you seen my Flickr pictures?

entwisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2007, 13:01   #4
Resident Waffler

Seems to be a bit of a thumbs down then.

Old 30-01-2007, 13:10   #5
God Member

UMMMMM I was gonna ask about thoughts on this as well because i qualify for the basic vista upgrade apperantly, but im too a bit wary of what to do ....as you all probably have discovered by now my knowledge on pcs is pretty poo.....so i will be keeping my eye on this thread...bye the way Ian is it worth still going an getting the disc??
cherokee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2007, 13:19   #6
Resting in Peace

Here is a Review from the mag Computer active
http://www.computeractive.co.uk/comp...ista-operating

Last edited by Mick; 30-01-2007 at 13:22.
Mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2007, 13:27   #7
God Member

No, not entirely. For non technical users I reckon it will be a big improvement from a security perspective. As in those who don't know how to go delbing in teh guts won't work out how to turn all the annoying stuff off that is trying to protect them. The interface is wizzy and may not be to all peoples taste

Old 30-01-2007, 13:31   #8
God Member

Always a good policy never to upgrade MS operating system until it's got to a few versions down the line to iron the bugs out. 10 years is a good measure.
Old 30-01-2007, 13:32   #9
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mick View Post
Here is a Review from the mag Computer active
http://www.computeractive.co.uk/comp...ista-operating
I fail to see how the quote "Great performance without top-notch hardware"

fits with the quote "512Mb of memory really is an absolute minimum requirement"

In pretty much every review I've seen 1 gig is a recommended minimum, it was certainly my experience that at 512 it ran like a dog, constantly swapping stuff to disk.

Top notch hardware is an ambiguous quote but I know a heck of a lot of people with 512 Meg Ram or less.

Cherokee, yes, get the disk no matter what, consider using it when the dust has settled after teh first couple of months if no SERIOUS flaws appear

Old 30-01-2007, 16:36   #10
Beacon of light

I also got a new computer at Christmas and I am entitled to the Premium Upgrade, but it is my intention to wait and see how it works for other users.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2007, 17:06   #11
God Member

just flicking through the channels and vista is now showing on QVC if anyones interested
Old 30-01-2007, 17:14   #12
Senior Member+

Here what a friend advised about vista.

Be Carefull what type you get.

Vista basic has no aero-glass interface and is crappy, missing most of the nice features of Vista. Buy this only if you get your PC's from Tiny.

Vista Home Premium is better, but if you use your PC for any work at all, you're gonna be stuck when your whole company's on Vista and you can't log onto their network using the features only available in Vista Business

Vista Business has no media centre stuff, meaning its crap except for boring work.

Vista Ultmate is t3h shizzn!t, but costs a bomb.

Also, beware of licencing. If you buy an OEM licence at vastly reduced price (I've seen OEM Vista Ultimate for 100 quid on overclockers.co.uk), you can only install it ONCE, and can't upgrade AT ALL (restricted by over-zealous activation)

Go for the full licence or XP upgrade licence and you can reinstall as many times as you like, upgrade, even move the licence from one computer to another. You will still have to activate each time you do this :@

Also note that unless you have 2GB RAM, Vista spends all its time paging to hard-disc. lol, microsoft...
Old 30-01-2007, 21:39   #13
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ***Mr D*** View Post
Here what a friend advised about vista.

Be Carefull what type you get.

Vista basic has no aero-glass interface and is crappy, missing most of the nice features of Vista. Buy this only if you get your PC's from Tiny.

Vista Home Premium is better, but if you use your PC for any work at all, you're gonna be stuck when your whole company's on Vista and you can't log onto their network using the features only available in Vista Business

Vista Business has no media centre stuff, meaning its crap except for boring work.

Vista Ultmate is t3h shizzn!t, but costs a bomb.

Also, beware of licencing. If you buy an OEM licence at vastly reduced price (I've seen OEM Vista Ultimate for 100 quid on overclockers.co.uk), you can only install it ONCE, and can't upgrade AT ALL (restricted by over-zealous activation)

Go for the full licence or XP upgrade licence and you can reinstall as many times as you like, upgrade, even move the licence from one computer to another. You will still have to activate each time you do this :@

Also note that unless you have 2GB RAM, Vista spends all its time paging to hard-disc. lol, microsoft...

For 90% of HOME users premium will be perfectly fine

1 gig RAM is fine for most people, you mate seems to have a very silly view on reality for home users

yes, basic is and will be rubbish, stick with XP if this was your only choice

Premium - free if you bought media centre, seems like a decent deal and TBH covers most things home users will use. yes, no enterprise stuff but its not used by the people I know at home.

Anything else is for business use and probably doesn't interest anyone here.

Old 30-01-2007, 21:45   #14
Resident Waffler

So what happens Ian if you have Premium but bring work home and take it back and the office has Business?

Old 30-01-2007, 21:50   #15
God Member

No problem, its just you can't connect to domains with Premium, working on docs is no problem

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..