Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Technical & User to User help > Crash Computers Chat
Donate! Join Today

Crash Computers Chat Let's talk computers! Got a problem with your computer? Need some advice? Got any great tips?

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 27-11-2007, 13:26   #1

Vista Network Problem

Booted up the PC this morning to find that ITunes had installed an update (along with Quicktime). Since then my network icon is down although I can connect to the internet, the error message says server execution failed. Our home network is down and we can't play any media files or access the shared folders.
I've tried system restore which failed, repaired Vista from the original disc which didn't find any errors and removed ITunes & Quicktime but we are still getting the same error!
Has anyone come across this or can anyone help me fix it, I really don't want to have to do a full re-load!
Many thanks
Old 28-11-2007, 07:48   #2
God Member

Re: Vista Network Problem

Firstly we need clear details

What sort of connection do you use (modem or router(wired or wireless), BT or Cable)

Secondly, you say you can connect but how do you 'know' this. What is saying that you are connected

Server Execution - nope, that isn't a Windows error message, its important you tell us exactly what it says

You can't play media files or access shared folders - how many PCs on the network, where are the media files kept(local to teh PC or on a network share). Are all PCs Vista or are some XP?

Technical God, No 1 Geek And Linux Guru

Have you seen my Flickr pictures?

entwisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2007, 08:53   #3

I'm using a BT Broadband connection with the HomeHub wired by Ethernet to my main PC which is running Windows Vista Home Premium. I've tried uninstalling the Homehub and re-installing but still get the same issue.
I can access the internet & my outlook, I'm on the internet now typing this message - so I'm still connected, the HomeHub lights are all on, although my network icon on the taskbar shows a red X as though I'm not connected. When I hover over the network icon the message says 'connection unknown - server execution failed'. The Network & Sharing Centre can't be accessed through the Control Panel - it stops responding.
My son has a PC upstairs running Vista Home Premium 64bit, he connects wirelessly through a NetGear USB adapter - no error message, his connection & the XBOX 360 & Wii (both connect wirelessly) have no issues. Although he can't access the shared folders since this error message appeared on my PC.
All our media files are on an external drive connected to my PC and sharing is enabled. Other files are on my desktop and in My Documents and are in a shared folder.
Old 28-11-2007, 09:18   #4
God Member

OK,
looks like the windows sharing service has failed. to check go into

Start (OK, it doesn't say start anymore but you know what I mean! )
Run
eventvwr

then look at the system and application logs to look for mention of the network services (pay particular attention o any red X messages.)

You could also check what the settings in control panel, admin tools, services are with respect to networking and file sharing.

Most proabbly windows has done an auto update alongside your iTunes one. Teh one thing Vista brought in is the extra security around programs making admin changes so its highly unlikely that iTunes did anything in this

Old 28-11-2007, 09:56   #5

Thanks for the help - ITunes & Quicktime changed 65 startup processes and caused the following error - Detection of product '{4F5CE18C-D97D-48FF-A510-A0D90C918294**', feature 'iTunes' failed during request for component '{E8A1D3E2-F5D3-4B24-AB93-52F7E602A235**' Windows Update also installed a new driver for the network adapter (which I've just rolled back)

I've just found a forum which suggested opening command prompt and tapping in -
net localgroup "Administrators" "NT Authority\Local Service" /add

then reboot - the network icon is now showing as connected and everything appears to be running smoothly.

However event viewer is still showing the following errors -

Service 'WMPNetworkSvc' did not start correctly because CoCreateInstance(CLSID_UPnPDeviceFinder) encountered error '0x80070005'. Verify that the UPnPHost service is running and that the UPnPHost component of Windows is installed properly.

The print spooler failed to share printer Brother DCP-120C USB Printer with shared resource name Brother DCP-120C USB Printer. Error 2114. The printer cannot be used by others on the network.

The LogMeIn Kernel Information Provider service failed to start due to the following error: The system cannot find the path specified.

Looks like I'm stepping in a minefield!
Old 28-11-2007, 10:12   #6
God Member

Make sure uPnP is started in services. Its a dodgy service but Windows does seem to rely on it more and more.

If its working and you can see shared folders etc then leave it alone.

You could always install Linux and use Samba

Old 28-11-2007, 10:58   #7

uPNP is set to automatic in services

I'll take your advice and leave it alone! Many thanks Nikki
Old 28-11-2007, 12:43   #8
God Member

Err, I promised myself I wouldn't help with Vista problems, Why oh why do I fall for it!

I even reformatted my windows partition and rolled back to XP as its such a pile of poo

Old 28-11-2007, 13:38   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by entwisi View Post
Err, I promised myself I wouldn't help with Vista problems, Why oh why do I fall for it!

I even reformatted my windows partition and rolled back to XP as its such a pile of poo
LOL - well I'm glad you did! It's the first time I've had a major problem with it, (apart from program compatibility!)
Old 10-07-2008, 12:10   #10
God Member

just to let you know there is a better alternative to itunes called anopod explorer

this application lets you drag and drop your mp3 files etc directly to your ipod and also gives you more controll over your ipod

you can also create playlists etc just like you can with itunes but unlike itunes anopod dosnt wipe your ipod if you ever have to use another pc or buy a new pc etc

if you know somone familiar with the ways of the internet im sure they could fix you up with a free copy

i used itunes once and uninstalled it mainly because it is a very poor program and a lot of un needed messing about

ive just started a relationship with a blind woman !Its quite rewarding but quite challenging ! it took me ages to get her husbands voice right

accyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 12:15   #11
God Member

Quicktime is an effin mare..always had problems with them..and Itunes ..****e
Mancie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 16:51   #12
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mancie View Post
Quicktime is an effin mare..always had problems with them..and Itunes ..****e

look into anopod explorer , no bull , no hassle no apple lol

ive just started a relationship with a blind woman !Its quite rewarding but quite challenging ! it took me ages to get her husbands voice right

accyman is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..