Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Technical & User to User help > Crash Computers Chat
Donate! Join Today

Crash Computers Chat Let's talk computers! Got a problem with your computer? Need some advice? Got any great tips?

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 21-04-2010, 00:06   #31
God Member

Re: Windows 7

2gb is plenty of ram for windows 7 your advisor is a bad one mainly because if your system is running vista which is an inferior operating system it will certainly be capable of running win 7 32bit and it will be noticably faster too.Most systems sold with win 7 come with 2gb of ram

iv installed win 7 on many laptops and pc's that origionaly had vista on and every sigle one of them performed better .Also if your computer manufacturer dosnt offer drivers for win7 just use vista ones but you will find that in most cases win7 will load drivers for all your devices and you will be set to go as soon as teh instalation finishes

vista is a pig of an operating system which they coudlnt fix so they abandoned it and brought out win 7 which is basically vista started from scratch and a few extras to boot.

if your still not sure get your hands on a spare hard drive if you can and download a copy of win 7 to try it out before buying it so that you can be sure it works on your system

ive just started a relationship with a blind woman !Its quite rewarding but quite challenging ! it took me ages to get her husbands voice right

Last edited by accyman; 21-04-2010 at 00:10.
accyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 21-04-2010, 01:07   #32
God Member

what are your system specifications because i am running win7 ultimate on an old advent 7113 laptop that has only 2gb of ram which origionaly came with vista home and also i am running win7 ultimate on an acer aspire 5735z with only 2gb of ram which also came with vista home

neither of these laptops have win 7 support on tehir manufacturers webiste but run a lot better on win7 than they ever did running vista.

dont install win7 on top of vista though its always better to do a complete fresh install as merely upgrading leaves clutter behind and you will end up with problems regardless of what microsoft claim so a clean install is always better just liek it always has been when people went from win98 to xp or xp to vista .

i still use xp on my desktop because its a bit too old for vista or win7 but everything else that had vista like my laptops got wiped to xp teh day i got them but as soon as win 7 came along i installed it and noticed a great improvement over vista immidiatly

ive just started a relationship with a blind woman !Its quite rewarding but quite challenging ! it took me ages to get her husbands voice right

Last edited by accyman; 21-04-2010 at 01:15.
Old 21-04-2010, 18:29   #33
Full Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by accyman View Post
what are your system specifications because i am running win7 ultimate on an old advent 7113 laptop that has only 2gb of ram which origionaly came with vista home and also i am running win7 ultimate on an acer aspire 5735z with only 2gb of ram which also came with vista home

neither of these laptops have win 7 support on tehir manufacturers webiste but run a lot better on win7 than they ever did running vista.

dont install win7 on top of vista though its always better to do a complete fresh install as merely upgrading leaves clutter behind and you will end up with problems regardless of what microsoft claim so a clean install is always better just liek it always has been when people went from win98 to xp or xp to vista .

i still use xp on my desktop because its a bit too old for vista or win7 but everything else that had vista like my laptops got wiped to xp teh day i got them but as soon as win 7 came along i installed it and noticed a great improvement over vista immidiatly
Packard Bell BL PB IMEDIA 2423 - purchased new 21.1.2008.
AMD Phenom (tm) Quad Core Processor 2.20Ghz
RAM 2.00GB
32-bit system with Service Pack 1

I also us a 500gb external hard drive for storage of files, photographs, etc., to lesson the load on the internal hard drive.
Stumped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2010, 17:54   #34
God Member

is this it ?

Downloads - IMEDIA 2423 - PB80X09901 - iMedia - platform_amadeus_imedia - Desktop

it seems it comes with vista installed so i see no concerns with it running win7 infact i think win7 will install drivers as it goes along for most of the items on the motherboard and if not theres vista drivers right there you can use.If your running vista at the moment vistas biggest let down was memory leak so basicaly if 2gb ram is enough for vista it certainly is for win7 which dosnt have teh same problem as vista.Companies arnt offering win7 drivers because they want you to buy a new system .

Old 22-04-2010, 18:01   #35
Full Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by accyman View Post
is this it ?

Downloads - IMEDIA 2423 - PB80X09901 - iMedia - platform_amadeus_imedia - Desktop

it seems it comes with vista installed so i see no concerns with it running win7 infact i think win7 will install drivers as it goes along for most of the items on the motherboard and if not theres vista drivers right there you can use.If your running vista at the moment vistas biggest let down was memory leak so basicaly if 2gb ram is enough for vista it certainly is for win7 which dosnt have teh same problem as vista.Companies arnt offering win7 drivers because they want you to buy a new system .
So if I acquire the Widows 7 Home Premium upgrade for Vista, then it should load itself and work okay?
Old 22-04-2010, 20:34   #36
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stumped View Post
So if I acquire the Widows 7 Home Premium upgrade for Vista, then it should load itself and work okay?
as long as its 32bit version i cant see a problem, if you do upgrade and its not for you then you can undo it and go back to vista .

it will probably tell you before it installs if theres any compatability problems, if i recall correctly from what iv been told it does a compatability check first or there is an option to do so when you put the cd in.

iv never done teh upgrade route as i always do the fresh install option

Old 27-04-2010, 17:57   #37
Full Member+

My grandson has presented me with a brand new Windows 7 Home Premium update for Vista. I am advised that I need to disable my current Norton 360 program, but as he has disappeared on one of his mystery adventures, and I am no computer whiz, I can't work out how to do it. Help?
Old 28-04-2010, 06:59   #38

Why not wait until you can get your grandson to come & do it for you.

After all, thats what grandsons are for, fixing your pcs
mattylad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2010, 18:35   #39
Full Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattylad View Post
Why not wait until you can get your grandson to come & do it for you.

After all, thats what grandsons are for, fixing your pcs
He's a little gem. Sorted.
Old 28-04-2010, 19:12   #40
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
Do you think the disk I saw that asked if you wanted Home Premium, Professional or Ultimate was a dodgy one
Yes it is dodgy, but.
You could get a genuine bought Win7 disc and before you install it run it through a program such as Magic ISO which will show you all the files on the disc. Find a file called sources/ei.cfg and delete it. make a new disc from the copy which will now be showing in a directory of Magic ISO (you won't harm the original) and then you will have the option of any of the versions when you install Win7. Keep your original bought dick for a rainy day.
Still dodgy unless you choose the version you originally bought but you can forgive yourself if you bought the genuine disk to start wit

I started using Win7 when I downloaded a genuine Microsoft beta disk and prefer it to any other version from Bill Gate's stable.

Last edited by Gremlin; 28-04-2010 at 19:15.
Gremlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2010, 09:08   #41
Senior Member+

I think I should edit the above post which contains the following line "Keep your original bought dick for a rainy day." before I get any funny remarks and put "Keep your original bought DISK for a rainy day".

Tags
to upgrade or not.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..