Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Technical & User to User help > Crash Computers Chat
Donate! Join Today

Crash Computers Chat Let's talk computers! Got a problem with your computer? Need some advice? Got any great tips?

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-12-2007, 16:20   #1

wireless internet

taking over a pub in new year with b and b would like to make all of the pub and rooms internet friendly how would i go about it and how much would it cost?
Accrington Web
Old 09-12-2007, 16:24   #2
Senior Member+

Re: wireless internet

some of the games you get in pubs have internet.. if you have wireless internet upstairs then it should be accesible down stairs too...

I finally found someone daft enough to marry me, my wonderboy is 11, my monkeygirl is 3 and my bananaman is 2, my beautiful little flower was born in feb 2012
emamum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2007, 19:42   #3
God Member

We have 4 computers at work and they all work off the same internet connection, two at home will work plugged into the phone line, or wireless.
Old 09-12-2007, 19:45   #4
God Member

The one we have will run up to six computers.
Old 09-12-2007, 19:51   #5
God Member

All depends on teh pub. They are notorious for having loads of RSJ's holding the roofs up from when they were made open plan. These play havoc with wifi signals. Ideally have your wireless router upstairs with a wired ethernet cable to some central point downstairs. Then put a simple Wireless access point there.

You need to consider a couple of things. You can't/shouldn't use a personal connection for business use as it would be breaking T&C's. Secondly, you should remember that if your PC is on the same network you would effectively be giving all and sundry easy access to your network, hence you need to be doubly sure that you have everything locked down tightly.

You need to think how you will control who logs on and when as if they did something naughty it would be your door the Police would be knocking on. You must be able to prove who was on and when.

TBH its not that easy to manage and you may be better off just letting someone like "The Cloud" come in and do it for you.

Technical God, No 1 Geek And Linux Guru

Have you seen my Flickr pictures?

entwisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2007, 20:02   #6

The Cloud who is this and what do they cost
Old 09-12-2007, 20:06   #7
God Member

About us • The Cloud

no idea on costs, I would guess not too much as they charge end users, yo are trying to offer them another outlet.

Let me know how you get on.

Technical God, No 1 Geek And Linux Guru

Have you seen my Flickr pictures?

entwisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2007, 20:10   #8
Senior Member+

from what i cud understand at the britannia in manchester - what they had is a central pc - ethernet cables goin up to the routers which were placed at strategic points in the corridors of hotel.
Old 09-12-2007, 20:15   #9
Senior Member+

the cloud... thats what i meant

I finally found someone daft enough to marry me, my wonderboy is 11, my monkeygirl is 3 and my bananaman is 2, my beautiful little flower was born in feb 2012
emamum is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..