Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Technical & User to User help > Crash Computers Chat
Donate! Join Today

Crash Computers Chat Let's talk computers! Got a problem with your computer? Need some advice? Got any great tips?

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 17-09-2007, 17:11   #1
Senior Member+

Wireless Router

I have ben told i need a wireless router to get t'internet on the daughter's laptop. How much ? Where from ? What else do I need to know/do ?

Last edited by Mick; 18-09-2007 at 05:31.
lindsay ormerod is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 17-09-2007, 18:04   #2
Resting in peace

Re: laptops

Quote:
Originally Posted by lindsay ormerod View Post
While we are on the subject.... I have ben told i need a wireless router to get t'internet on the daughter's laptop. How much ? Where from ? What else do I need to know/do ?
Your internet provider will supply one free of charge as a rule,if you have standard modem 'they are all different'. can be used also with Ethernet cable, but some only support 1 pc, so you would only be able to use 1 at once, all will need driver disc installing. Get a router that supports multiple pcs.
Ianto.W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2007, 18:44   #3
Senior Member+

Quote:
While we are on the subject.... I have ben told i need a wireless router to get t'internet on the daughter's laptop. How much ? Where from ? What else do I need to know/do ?
Is the laptop Wifi Enabled already?

What are you looking to connect it to?
Old 17-09-2007, 20:08   #4
Senior Member+

It's an Acer Aspire 5630; it has a sticker on the front saying 802.11a/b/g wireless LAN.
Also mentions Acer signalup antenna technology ( ??**!!??)
What do you guys in the know think ?
Old 17-09-2007, 20:09   #5
Senior Member+

Oh, I am on Talk talk broadband at home.
Old 17-09-2007, 21:45   #6
Senior Member+

Quote:
It's an Acer Aspire 5630; it has a sticker on the front saying 802.11a/b/g wireless LAN.
Also mentions Acer signalup antenna technology ( ??**!!??)
What do you guys in the know think ?
What router do you use with talk talk.

I use BT home hub and could probably connect that straight away to it without any adapter.
Old 18-09-2007, 09:04   #7
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ianto.W. View Post
Your internet provider will supply one free of charge as a rule,if you have standard modem 'they are all different'. can be used also with Ethernet cable, but some only support 1 pc, so you would only be able to use 1 at once, all will need driver disc installing. Get a router that supports multiple pcs.

Routers by definition support more than one PC. It couldn't be a 'router' if it didn't. You probably already have a modem. Iy is possible to just share teh connection from your PC but it does mean that teh PC needs to be on (maybe a good thing to restrict useage???)

None will 'NEED' the driver disc, as someone who has been setting up networks for years there is actually very little a driver disk can do with regards to configuring a network. You need to know a few things thats all. The laptop (mines an Acer with teh same wifi setup) will already have teh necessary drivers installed.

With wireless networks the only complocations come when people try to setup a laptop etc to an already locked down network. You need to understand what security has been applied, all passphrases and any other bits of security. e.g. if I locked down my router to use only MAC address filtering no disc in teh world will ever make a successful connection as my router will ignore teh PC trying to connect.

Lindsey, to your original request. You need a modem router, I would recommend a Netgear DG834 as these are easy to setup and seem to be very reliable, I also like Linksys kit and dislike Belkin but each techie will always have their favourites, its a bit liek taste in music . you connect it to a PC initially by cable and enable the wifi bit. then you should be able to connect via wireless. At this point you can start aplying whatever security you want. for most people just turning on WPA2 encryption should be enough. The super paranoid will lock to MAC adresses, change teh Network name to a really obscure numer/letter/symbol combo and set it to 'hidden' .

Ian

Technical God, No 1 Geek And Linux Guru

Have you seen my Flickr pictures?

Last edited by entwisi; 18-09-2007 at 09:07.
entwisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2007, 18:00   #8
Senior Member+

Re: Wireless Router

Just rung Talk Talk and asked them about a router; they quoted me £50 for a Netgear package. Does that sound about right ?
Old 18-09-2007, 18:21   #9
God Member

Quote:
Just rung Talk Talk and asked them about a router; they quoted me £50 for a Netgear package. Does that sound about right ?
Asked advice again and am told that is a good price.
Old 18-09-2007, 19:14   #10
God Member

its about right, you might get one for £40 if you catch them on offer. (Actually this is one of the things that PC world do at reasonable price on bank hols etc and as long as you know exactly what you want its OK to buy there )

For info they also make you safer on the Internet so you are buying a fair amount of protection as well

Technical God, No 1 Geek And Linux Guru

Have you seen my Flickr pictures?

entwisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2007, 19:18   #11
Senior Member+

Ok, it looks like we will be having one of those then ! And I thought it would be cheap !

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..