Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Technical & User to User help > Tech Talk
Donate! Join Today

Tech Talk Modern technology eh? Talk about it here! Please use the seperate forums for gaming or photography talk...

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 30-12-2007, 20:53   #16
God Member

Re: A thought about Microsoft

Quote:
Originally Posted by entwisi View Post
Nope, its quite friendly nowadays.

Have a shufty at Ubuntu.
I will assume that is a website and take a peek, thank you Ian.
Accrington Web
Old 30-12-2007, 21:05   #17
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Quote:
Originally Posted by derekgas View Post
I will assume that is a website and take a peek, thank you Ian.

Ubuntu Home Page | Ubuntu
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2007, 21:12   #18
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by derekgas View Post
But if people have not used, and do not know how to use anything else, it is like sticking somebody who only has an automatic driving licence into an aeroplane cockpit and telling them to drive it, isn't it??
But you could read the manual supplied, ask a friend and if you have a laptop with you in the plane visit a forum for help
Just like you can when trying out a new operating system
Now's the time to insert a sarcy smilie but I don't like then new black and white ones so I'll not bother

www.ubuntu.com

K.S.H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2007, 22:14   #19
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by K.S.H View Post
But you could read the manual supplied, ask a friend and if you have a laptop with you in the plane visit a forum for help
Just like you can when trying out a new operating system
Now's the time to insert a sarcy smilie but I don't like then new black and white ones so I'll not bother
Ok, I will write it as it is, I was keeping what I meant short, but here goes, I have 4 computers (active anyway), all on microsoft software, they run a database for work, 2 of the computers are vista, they had to be doctored to accept the database which runs on office 2000, I am a lowly plumber and don't have the time, the money, the knowhow or the brains to install another type (more friendly) of system which we could transfer the database to completely intact and immediately usable. I will however see if I can put linux on the lesser used laptop, (this goes out on the road and updates the main database on return daily), and have a play with it. The system as it is has been used for this for a long time, I have used it for the last 5 years, but eventually it slows down and a friend who knows more than I do sorts it out for me, the system could and needs to be made better, so anything I can try will be worth a go, but will take me a while.
Old 31-12-2007, 06:46   #20
God Member

heh, now for the benefits of Linux ownership - Support

Whats your database run in? Access or something else (Sql server?)

You'll find thousands of people who will happily help you for nothing in the Linux community. You will also find that people share their experiences freely and if they find a solution to a problem often fully documnent it so others don't suffer the same fate.

Technical God, No 1 Geek And Linux Guru

Have you seen my Flickr pictures?

entwisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2007, 07:01   #21
God Member

Quote:
heh, now for the benefits of Linux ownership - Support

Whats your database run in? Access or something else (Sql server?)

You'll find thousands of people who will happily help you for nothing in the Linux community. You will also find that people share their experiences freely and if they find a solution to a problem often fully documnent it so others don't suffer the same fate.
Good morning Ian, it runs in access, see that is how numb I am, forgot to mention that, I am going to try it later on the less used laptop, the website seems to infer that the server option is prefferable, I don't even know what the difference is, I am working today, (someone has to keep the ship afloat), but should be able to sneak back later.
Old 31-12-2007, 08:59   #22
God Member

Personally use the 'normal' version. The server CD has more server packages on the disc at the expense of 'user' stuff. Its all in the software repository anyway so makes no real difference once your up and running as it will always download from the online repos first to make sure its got the latest version.

With regards to your database, as you probably know Access is MS proprietry software which is not just a database. It includes a application front end ( the forms etc ). Depending on the access database you use will depend on if/how easy it is to migrate to linux. In all honesty, if what you have works for you then you should be wary of change for changes' sake. If what you have has flaws that you are finding hard to live with then look at changing.

May I ask who wrote the database app for you? is it an off the shelf package or bespoke for you?

Old 31-12-2007, 09:56   #23
God Member

Quote:
Personally use the 'normal' version. The server CD has more server packages on the disc at the expense of 'user' stuff. Its all in the software repository anyway so makes no real difference once your up and running as it will always download from the online repos first to make sure its got the latest version.

With regards to your database, as you probably know Access is MS proprietry software which is not just a database. It includes a application front end ( the forms etc ). Depending on the access database you use will depend on if/how easy it is to migrate to linux. In all honesty, if what you have works for you then you should be wary of change for changes' sake. If what you have has flaws that you are finding hard to live with then look at changing.

May I ask who wrote the database app for you? is it an off the shelf
package or bespoke for you?
Don't know that it was written as such, just the ms access blank, with the bits filled in, but there are about 6,500 clients in and multiple entries for each client, some of the history for older clients is 4 pages long, which is another problem, you cannot just print 1 page of a client history.
Old 31-12-2007, 10:08   #24
God Member

Can I ask what you use it for?

I'm certainly not offering to do owt ( been there, still got the scars) but sounds like its not really the right tool for the job. You need queries that allow you to set date ranges for reports and some tools to archive old data (Access isn't good when it gets over a certain size)

I guess its a bit like me doing my own plumbing, I'd be all hammer and pliers

Old 31-12-2007, 10:26   #25
God Member

Quote:
Can I ask what you use it for?

I'm certainly not offering to do owt ( been there, still got the scars) but sounds like its not really the right tool for the job. You need queries that allow you to set date ranges for reports and some tools to archive old data (Access isn't good when it gets over a certain size)

I guess its a bit like me doing my own plumbing, I'd be all hammer and pliers
Yes, It is a database with customer name, address etc, when an installation, service, breakdown call or query is made, each call is then typed up on that clients own profile page (for want of a better description), when a client calls, we can have that clients complete history in front of us both in the office and on the road, so, all past problems, advice given, costs given, installation dates (for guarantees) etc is instantly available, we also log type of appliance and accessories, so if a call is for a breakdown, we don't always need to visit, and can just take the correct part, this saves them money, we also use it to bring up all the clients who are due annual service in a particular month, trouble is, we then have to manually go through them to put them in areas, then type letters for areas with dates allocated, all this as you can imagine is time consuming, and we are so busy now that the system, and the girls have difficulty keeping up, given that we have 3 teams, 6,500 clients, and about 30 phone calls per day at this time of year, it can be quite stressful.
Old 31-12-2007, 11:30   #26
God Member

NOt being funny but what you need is a proper CRM solution. Access is not the right tool for this for a business the size you describe.

I'll do some digging of what alternatives you have

Old 31-12-2007, 12:04   #27
God Member

Quote:
NOt being funny but what you need is a proper CRM solution. Access is not the right tool for this for a business the size you describe.

I'll do some digging of what alternatives you have
Good man, thank you, I tried contacting a fellow at work who knows more about it than I do, but he is unnavailable.
Old 01-01-2008, 19:09   #28
God Member

Found teh following

opentaps Open Source ERP + CRM - Home

looks superb, runs on Windows or Linux and is open source so its free to use.

I had a play with the demo site

opentaps Open Source ERP + CRM - opentaps ERP+CRM Online Demo

have a play yourself

Old 01-01-2008, 19:22   #29
God Member

Quote:
Found teh following

opentaps Open Source ERP + CRM - Home

looks superb, runs on Windows or Linux and is open source so its free to use.

I had a play with the demo site

opentaps Open Source ERP + CRM - opentaps ERP+CRM Online Demo

have a play yourself
Thank you very much Ian, Karma for you mate when I have some to give!!

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..