Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Technical & User to User help > Tech Talk
Donate! Join Today

Tech Talk Modern technology eh? Talk about it here! Please use the seperate forums for gaming or photography talk...

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 29-12-2007, 16:04   #1
Resident Waffler

A thought about Microsoft

This has come about because I have bought a new laptop and there is very little with it by way of software - just some trial stuff and then after so many days you have to buy it.

Now if I buy a new hifi I don't have to buy new CDs to play on it. If I buy a new TV I don't have to buy new DVDs to watch on it. But I buy a new PC and I have to buy all new software. I can't use the software I already possess and have used on the old PC.

With CDs I can play them upstairs, downstairs, in the car, even if I'm out for a walk but I must not use the Microsoft Office on more than one PC.

I'm also miffed that the flippin thing has AOL PRE-INSTALLED.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 29-12-2007, 16:16   #2
God Member

Re: A thought about Microsoft

Hmmm,
Look at the screenshot, 23151 packages available and all free
OK, there not all programs but there free

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screenshot.jpg (44.9 KB, 77 views)

www.ubuntu.com

Last edited by K.S.H; 29-12-2007 at 16:24.
K.S.H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2007, 16:22   #3
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillowTheWhisp View Post
This has come about because I have bought a new laptop and there is very little with it by way of software - just some trial stuff and then after so many days you have to buy it.

Now if I buy a new hifi I don't have to buy new CDs to play on it. If I buy a new TV I don't have to buy new DVDs to watch on it. But I buy a new PC and I have to buy all new software. I can't use the software I already possess and have used on the old PC.

With CDs I can play them upstairs, downstairs, in the car, even if I'm out for a walk but I must not use the Microsoft Office on more than one PC.

I'm also miffed that the flippin thing has AOL PRE-INSTALLED.
This could be the reason Mr Microsoft is a billionnaire, don't you think?
Old 29-12-2007, 16:27   #4
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

I'm not over chuffed with xl (I reluctantly upgraded to it after it had been out for a few years), but when I finally upgraded my P.C. last April the choice was visterror? or xl thank goodness I wasn't adventurous xl still has it's own problems but nothing like what it would appear vista has.

By the time xp is no longer cared for by microsoft hopefully, I will have fully converted to linux, I'm not doing an entwisi and trying to convert others to linux people should be able to run a reliable version of windows, I just don't think it will ever happen, the only way they can possibly improve their stuff is to go back to DOS and start again.
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2007, 16:40   #5
God Member

If you can't staay away from Windows why not use both, I used to dual boot until I got more used to Linux then found it was easiest for me to run a virtual machine, I run Linux 99% of the time but if there is something I want to do or look at in Windows I boot it up using VMware, and have the benefit of both operating systems running at the same time, both connected to the internet and I can share files between them.
(You can also use VMWare in Windows to run other OS's)

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Vmware.jpg (44.2 KB, 84 views)

www.ubuntu.com

Old 29-12-2007, 16:59   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by K.S.H View Post
If you can't staay away from Windows why not use both, I used to dual boot until I got more used to Linux then found it was easiest for me to run a virtual machine, I run Linux 99% of the time but if there is something I want to do or look at in Windows I boot it up using VMware, and have the benefit of both operating systems running at the same time, both connected to the internet and I can share files between them.
(You can also use VMWare in Windows to run other OS's)
Not a problem to me that, but some folk just want to use the goddam P.C. with what it came with, usually windows, they don't want to get involved with what they consider to be all this techy' stuff and is it too much for them to ask? They had to pay through the nose for their unreliable bit of windows, Bill Gates will never have to worry about upgrades he'll get his free! So why doesn't windows do what it says on the box and work without constant updates and fixes?

If I bought a car and along with several thousand others found that the brakes don't work the car companies would have to fix the problem not tell me, trade it in for a more expensive version that not only has faulty brakes, but also your lights and windscreen wipers don't work, oh and by the way don't trust the inbuilt cd player it always ejects itself through the window whenever it thinks there's going to be an crash!
Old 29-12-2007, 17:07   #7
God Member

LOL, you have a way with words, why didn't I put it that way

www.ubuntu.com

Old 29-12-2007, 22:46   #8
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Less View Post
If I bought a car and along with several thousand others found that the brakes don't work the car companies would have to fix the problem not tell me, trade it in for a more expensive version that not only has faulty brakes, but also your lights and windscreen wipers don't work, oh and by the way don't trust the inbuilt cd player it always ejects itself through the window whenever it thinks there's going to be an crash!
That has to be the best analogy I have read or heard in ages....karma sent

Ok cue jokes of the word analogy and Less

I know this may come as a shock but believe it or not all views I may air on here are my own work!!!!!
harwood red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2007, 23:50   #9
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by harwood red View Post
Ok cue jokes of the word analogy and Less
I didn't get that, I must be getting old
Old 30-12-2007, 00:45   #10
Resident Waffler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Less View Post

You missed another point Less. When you trade the car in for a more expensive version you find that it uses more fuel to travel the same distance and then to cap it all you can't use your old SatNav and have to buy a new one because although the car could have an inbuilt SatNav the company prefers not to install one and once you've used your SatNav in your old car you can't use it in the new one.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2007, 01:24   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillowTheWhisp View Post
You missed another point Less. When you trade the car in for a more expensive version you find that it uses more fuel to travel the same distance and then to cap it all you can't use your old SatNav and have to buy a new one because although the car could have an inbuilt SatNav the company prefers not to install one and once you've used your SatNav in your old car you can't use it in the new one.

This has the makings of a very long thread because you also get a little bit of money back when you trade up for a newer model, but not with windows even if the disk is in perfect conditon, (physically not contents-wise).

Anal jokes and Less? HR is getting a bit delusional, me thinks, what has anal, or jokes got to do with me?
Old 30-12-2007, 19:22   #12
God Member

I don't try and convert anyone, I just point out how crap windows is

Technical God, No 1 Geek And Linux Guru

Have you seen my Flickr pictures?

entwisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2007, 19:50   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by entwisi View Post

Once someone has used windows they know that's true!
Old 30-12-2007, 20:25   #14
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by entwisi View Post
But if people have not used, and do not know how to use anything else, it is like sticking somebody who only has an automatic driving licence into an aeroplane cockpit and telling them to drive it, isn't it??
Old 30-12-2007, 20:39   #15
God Member

Nope, its quite friendly nowadays.

Have a shufty at Ubuntu.

Technical God, No 1 Geek And Linux Guru

Have you seen my Flickr pictures?

entwisi is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..