Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Technical & User to User help > Tech Talk
Donate! Join Today

Tech Talk Modern technology eh? Talk about it here! Please use the seperate forums for gaming or photography talk...

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-06-2006, 21:49   #1
Len
God Member

Re: Accyweb problems

I apologise for the inconvenience but I have moved these post from another thread as it would be a shame to lose the good information.

If software and severs were in perfect working order we would still experience the odd glitch. The data that’s being passed backwards and forwards could be corrupted by perhaps noise or the odd spick from the wiring or sumat. There are probably millions of devices/machines out there that generate interference that all could potentially interfere with the data that’s passing by. But then that’s the internet for you. It’s probably never gong to be perfect.

Last edited by Len; 09-06-2006 at 09:40.
Len is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 08-06-2006, 21:54   #2
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Len
The data that’s being passed backwards and forwards could be corrupted by perhaps noise or the odd spick from the wiring or sumat. .
haha before the web we used BBS systems and the only one for my atari was in newcastle.. used to cost a fortune dialing that number everyday... until while someone was online or while the bbs was calling out... lightning struck the telephone lines and fried his moterboard, hard drive whatever and the whole BBS dissapeared forever...

the old modems we used to not dial out if there was a storm in case it fried our pooters... i still dont know to this day if i was being over protective...
Old 08-06-2006, 22:10   #3
Len
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KIPAX
haha before the web we used BBS systems and the only one for my atari was in newcastle.. used to cost a fortune dialing that number everyday... until while someone was online or while the bbs was calling out... lightning struck the telephone lines and fried his moterboard, hard drive whatever and the whole BBS dissapeared forever... the old modems we used to not dial out if there was a storm in case it fried our pooters... i still dont know to this day if i was being over protective...
I;ve just found this if anyone is interested what the bulletin boards system is;

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bulletin_board_system

Old 09-06-2006, 00:19   #4
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Len
I;ve just found this if anyone is interested what the bulletin boards system is;

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bulletin_board_system

ooops yeagh.. they wont know.... oops
Old 09-06-2006, 00:30   #5
Len
God Member

Quote:
Neither did I. hehe
Old 09-06-2006, 07:48   #6
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
The good old days , well maybe not that good. We have it easy now compared to just a few years ago. I don't think I would have got many jobs if I had sent my CV in on Sinclair thermal paper
Old 09-06-2006, 08:32   #7
God Member

What that doesnt make clear is that only one person at a time could log into a BBS so you often waited ages to get on... download all the messages and view them in a special reader.... make your answers.. dial in again and upload.... BBS would link to each other around the country and once a night would swap messages... so it could take 24 hrs for one message to be answered by someone accross country

As this was done while paying national rate per minute (and soemtimes the internet was when www started) thats why sig lines where kept to 4 and you had to post more than you quoted to stop over quoting.. also abbreviarions a plenty as every letter cost money

A lot of us brought the same mentality over to the WWW because we where paying per minute on slow modems and you didnt want to pay to download a 30 line sig on 100 messages say.... ALSO thats why SPAM is hated so much.. you where paying to download adverts

Now in the age of broadband these things dont matter... accept to old school who cant get it out of our system and stuck doing a lot the way we did

PS: Before BBS sytems (now we are going way back) we all used to write messages on floppy disks and pass round via jiffy bags and our loverly post office... to a network of users.. people could reply.. that could take weeks for a message to be replied to.. many many years ago I programmed a talking message creator so people could listen to text sent on a disk..... only for it to be reviewed in a computer mag as a tool for kids to swear and laugh....duh..

Last edited by KIPAX; 09-06-2006 at 08:37.
KIPAX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2006, 09:10   #8
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
only for it to be reviewed in a computer mag as a tool for kids to swear and laugh....duh..
And now BT lets do the same thing by sending text messages to landlines
Old 09-06-2006, 12:02   #9
Resident Waffler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil
The good old days , well maybe not that good. We have it easy now compared to just a few years ago. I don't think I would have got many jobs if I had sent my CV in on Sinclair thermal paper
Oh I'd totally forgotten that stuff! We usedto have some micro-encapsulated paper in our "computer terminals" at work which was fine if you remembered to separate the two sheets before folding or you'd burst the bubbles and get lines across the paper. Those terminals were a laugh a minute - great lumbering keyboards on legs that went for a walk across the office if they weren't fastened down! And they had paper tape punchers attached so that any time we were offline we punched the transactions and then sent the spools of tape to the CPU which was housed in a warehouse in Wythenshawe!

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2006, 12:30   #10
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Len
I apologise for the inconvenience but I have moved these post from another thread as it would be a shame to lose the good information.

If software and severs were in perfect working order we would still experience the odd glitch. The data that’s being passed backwards and forwards could be corrupted by perhaps noise or the odd spick from the wiring or sumat. There are probably millions of devices/machines out there that generate interference that all could potentially interfere with the data that’s passing by. But then that’s the internet for you. It’s probably never gong to be perfect.
thats why TCP has inbuilt error tracking. There will never be an item of data that is 'interfered with' that is accepted at the receiving end. There is a cracking video of how 'stuff' makes its way round the net here http://www.warriorsofthe.net/movie.html

be warned its BIG (73 Meg) but its a) very funny and b) very informative.

Also when it comes to databases updates, the industry standard is to use a 2 phase commit process to ensure nothing becomes corrupt. I'm not sure if vBulletin uses this yet or even what DB is hanging off the back end(MySQL if I was pressed to guess??)

Technical God, No 1 Geek And Linux Guru

Have you seen my Flickr pictures?

entwisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2006, 12:33   #11
God Member

Re: Data corruption.

Yes MySQL ......... I always thougth databases where for geeks.. but then i started working wiht them and found them challenging and fun and one of the best tools on the web.... does that make me a) wrong for my first thought or b) a geek .... answers on a postcard blah blah
Old 09-06-2006, 12:38   #12
God Member

Go on, you can be Geek no. 2

A good DBA is a many skilled bod

Technical God, No 1 Geek And Linux Guru

Have you seen my Flickr pictures?

entwisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2006, 13:19   #13
Len
God Member

Cheers chaps, appreciated.
You learn some thing every day and I’ll probably have forgot by tomorrow, but there you go.. hehe
At least by my guessing from no real knowledge it manages to drag out the truths from others.

Cheers.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..