Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Technical & User to User help > Tech Talk
Donate! Join Today

Tech Talk Modern technology eh? Talk about it here! Please use the seperate forums for gaming or photography talk...

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-11-2008, 12:14   #16
Senior Member+

Re: mobile problem, help!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yolanda25 View Post
tried that one, didnt work, if anything it made it worse
i thought u have to own a property to get insurance, im gonna look into getting one( its never too late)
You have to own the Property to insure it, but not own a property.

You can have contents cover.

Sadly most do not cover mobile phones.

Could try sell it for spares to get a bit of cash back in.
Old 12-11-2008, 14:13   #17
God Member

As mentioned earlier, put it in a bag of rice for a few days to draw the moisture out, they have pieces of litmus paper inside then now that turns red when it gets wet/damp. It's recommended not to repair a wet/damp phone but some places will attempt it

www.ubuntu.com

K.S.H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 21:47   #18
God Member

Salt is better than rice for drying things out.

I always put pans of salt in our caravan over winter to make sure that any moisture is attracted to it rather than the furniture etc. Its always wet through by Spring.

Technical God, No 1 Geek And Linux Guru

Have you seen my Flickr pictures?

entwisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 22:33   #19
God Member

but salt will get through the small holes in the phone but rice won't
Posted via Mobile Device
K.S.H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2008, 00:43   #20
God Member

depends on what sort of salt

Old 13-11-2008, 01:57   #21
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Quote:
Originally Posted by entwisi View Post
Salt is better than rice for drying things out.
Salt is corrosive for electrical & electronic components, especially when damp!

Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2008, 09:16   #22

As well as corrosion, if the salt gets into the phone and hits the moisture, there's more danger of a short circuit.

If the phone's useless, I'd be tempted to buy some distilled water and dunk it in that and skoosh it around (technical term) while wearing marigolds or similar to avoid contaminating the distilled water. Don't have the battery or SIM in while you're doing it. Dry the surface & put it in a food bag in the airing cupboard with some silica or rice.

Considering all the effort, though, you might be better off just putting the SIM in an unlocked eBay replacement? Is it a really expensive 'phone?

Studio25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2008, 09:46   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Studio25 View Post
As well as corrosion, if the salt gets into the phone and hits the moisture, there's more danger of a short circuit.

If the phone's useless, I'd be tempted to buy some distilled water and dunk it in that and skoosh it around (technical term) while wearing marigolds or similar to avoid contaminating the distilled water. Don't have the battery or SIM in while you're doing it. Dry the surface & put it in a food bag in the airing cupboard with some silica or rice.

Considering all the effort, though, you might be better off just putting the SIM in an unlocked eBay replacement? Is it a really expensive 'phone?
It is because of the conductivity of the salt that corrosion occurs, even without connecting the power the salt can cause electrical currents to be generated between two different metals, e.g. printed circuit board and the legs of a component. This causes the corrosion, (very quickly).

Distilled water is useless for cleaning the boards, if you do have a spillage or as in this case drop it down the bog it should be cleaned using Isolpropyl alcohol cleaner which is for cleaning circuit boards, this will in most cases drive the water and indeed any salts from the circuit board and dries a great deal quicker than just placing on a radiator over night, (though no electrical supply should be connected until it has all completely evaporated ).

Putting the circuit board in a food bag could kill it quicker than dowsing in salt, these boards are electrostatically sensitive and the static created would often mean certain death to components.

The air needs to circulate around the board to assist evaporation, otherwise condensation can gather. If after drying it is not going straight back into the 'phone then a proper bag similar to the ones Hard drives come in can be used for storage.

However I do agree with this statement:-

Quote:

Well entwisi, have I passed the test? Can I be added to your geeks list now?

Old 13-11-2008, 11:54   #24
God Member

You're my electrical engineer geek mate!

Old 13-11-2008, 12:54   #25
Senior Member+

well thanks for your help, i went to phones uk today and my mate who works there said she can fix it for 20-25 pounds so thats not too bad, lets hope it works.
Yolanda25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2008, 15:22   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by entwisi View Post
You're my electrical engineer geek mate!
Electronic!!!

I repair, down to component level, they fit the cables, that I attach everything to!

(of course PLC's have made a dramatic change, now none of them can work with 1960's gear it does their heads in).
Old 13-11-2008, 15:25   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yolanda25 View Post
well thanks for your help, i went to phones uk today and my mate who works there said she can fix it for 20-25 pounds so thats not too bad, lets hope it works.
A quick swap of the main board, computer produced it probably only costs a fiver, don't you just love this throw away society?

Old 14-11-2008, 21:40   #28
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Less View Post
A quick swap of the main board, computer produced it probably only costs a fiver, don't you just love this throw away society?

well if you can fix it for me for a fiver then please do
Yolanda25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2008, 08:05   #29
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Less View Post
Electronic!!!

I repair, down to component level, they fit the cables, that I attach everything to!

(of course PLC's have made a dramatic change, now none of them can work with 1960's gear it does their heads in).
I will remember that the next time I need something electronic repairing

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..