Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Technical & User to User help > Tech Talk
Donate! Join Today

Tech Talk Modern technology eh? Talk about it here! Please use the seperate forums for gaming or photography talk...

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 22-11-2005, 11:09   #1
Resting in Peace

Need for SPEED.........

Have a look at this site and see just how fast you can upload and download .

http://www.internetfrog.com/mypc/speedtest/
Mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 22-11-2005, 11:43   #2
God Member

Re: Need for SPEED.........

Mine was not as bad as i thought for a 1 meg BB setup. For what I do there is not much need for anything more just yet.

All comments above are nothing to do with here and therefore not the resposibility of the Accrington Web site owners admins or mods.

THEY ARE MINE!!!!

SPUGGIE J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2005, 01:54   #3
I am Banned

not very acurate for me it says 720kbs download and i know i can get 900kbs

i suppose it depends where the website is hosted
chav1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2005, 07:39   #4
God Member

http://adslguide.org.uk/tools/speedtest.asp

Is a better speed test application..

The one originaly posted says I only have a 3Mb connection where as the adslguide one says I have 8
Old 04-12-2005, 07:51   #5
Roy
Administrator

The internet frog one is located in the states and will give you a 'real' idea of your connection to the majority of the internet. Don't you think its a little unfair these isp's selling 8meg connections and then linking you up to the majority of the internet with cheap oversubscribed bandwidth?
Roy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2005, 09:08   #6
God Member

I suppose that you bandwith wil be dependent on what we use it for. If we all wanted supersonic connections and extremely high band width we would live in South Korea. Her according to a program I watched one guy supposedly had a 100 meg connection at home.

All comments above are nothing to do with here and therefore not the resposibility of the Accrington Web site owners admins or mods.

THEY ARE MINE!!!!

Old 04-12-2005, 15:00   #7
I am Banned

wait untill the latest technology is released that is been tested in the usa

thay have found a way to transmit data along electricity power lines and although i cant recall the statistics i rember it been somthing along the lines that you could downlad a dvd in less that 1 min so thats about 4.7 gb in under a minuite

problem is i dont think there is a computer that can handle that speed of data transfer yet i think standard ethernet speed is 100mbps

i need to swot up on data transfer rates of just wait for entwisi to see this and tell us lol

Last edited by chav1; 04-12-2005 at 15:03.
chav1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2005, 20:42   #8
God Member

I would be happy to have half of an ethernets transfer speed since we could be a long way of the electric option.

THEY ARE MINE!!!!

Old 05-12-2005, 07:06   #9
God Member

Chav,
There are gigabit ethernet cards available and have been for some time.

What is more appropriate is what would you need that speed for? 24Mbps is enough for streaming HD TV down. There is only so much music to download. Even with current technologies it is difficult to max out a connection 24/7.

I have to agree with Roy though. A lot of companies are selling 8M and above connections yet the UK bandwidth is already oversubscribed. You will find it very difficult to get that speed maintained over a long period. Th e other thing worth considering is teh TCP/IP protocol itself. When you get into teh sort of bandwidth that we are talking about there is a definate kick to teh system resources in recompiling all teh packets that have been routed over a multitude of routes from teh server to your PC.
entwisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2005, 07:38   #10
Roy
Administrator

Quote:
When you get into teh sort of bandwidth that we are talking about there is a definate kick to teh system resources in recompiling all teh packets that have been routed over a multitude of routes from teh server to your PC.
I can see it now..... Under the stairs, leccy meter hooked up to a juniper, in every house! Of course, juniper will have to start making card versions so they can be prepaid....
Roy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2005, 08:16   #11
God Member

What you mean everyone doesn't have one? I thought they had been standard install in every house since 1900
entwisi is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..