Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Technical & User to User help > Tech Talk
Donate! Join Today

Tech Talk Modern technology eh? Talk about it here! Please use the seperate forums for gaming or photography talk...

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-08-2006, 14:59   #1
God Member

Exclamation NTL Broadband

Right, i said I'd ask on behalf of the in-laws. They are on cable and have NTL broadband but are fed up with the company messing them around. Is there any other internet service providers that can offer them broadband without having to change to a BT line?
Old 11-08-2006, 15:04   #2
I am Banned

Re: NTL Broadband

Theres Telewest or bulldog which i think are old cable & wireless.

HTH
accymel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2006, 15:10   #3
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by accymel
Theres Telewest or bulldog which i think are old cable & wireless.

HTH
Cheers chick, I'll let em know.
Old 11-08-2006, 15:13   #4
I am Banned

No probs NTHell is nortious, tho telewest & Virgin are to join forces with NTHell soon, yet telewest is the best one in cable so may impro ntl....but still enquire with them or bulldog.
Old 11-08-2006, 15:18   #5
God Member

Just trying to find the info on Telewest and Bulldogs websites so I can pass the details on to them.
Old 11-08-2006, 15:28   #6
God Member

tinks toucan broadband is ok ive just had it installed for my brother he still has bt phone but wants to swap that over as well soon ..its alot cheaper than bt. im on toucan with my phone and all my landline calls are free. have a look on toucan wesite an see what ya think .pm me n i can give ya some more info good luck
cherokee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2006, 15:31   #7
God Member

Cheers chuck I'll have a look at toucans site too
Old 11-08-2006, 15:37   #8
God Member

Right, just been having a quick word with in-laws as to their options, they seem to think Telewest is the same company as NTL ... it's regionalised (??) they said.
Old 11-08-2006, 16:18   #9
I am Banned

Yeh i know they are in the proccess & a certain person i know that works there is confident it will change mmmmmm

Probably bulldog or toucan as cherokee suggested maybe worth looking into.
Old 11-08-2006, 18:56   #10
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

If you have cable then you are tied to that cable operator unless you go back to BT ( or one of the LLU operators like Bulldog or Talk Talk who all use the BT phone wires ).
Old 12-08-2006, 13:18   #11
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinkerbelle
Right, just been having a quick word with in-laws as to their options, they seem to think Telewest is the same company as NTL ... it's regionalised (??) they said.
Telewest and NTL (and I think virgin) are merging to one provider. Telewest and NTL don't compete anyway, so if you can get NTL then there will not be a telewest option in the area.

I use bulldog which is LLU (Local Loop Unbundling) basicly Bulldog install their equipment at the exchange instead of using BT's. You dont have any direct involvment with BT (no BT phone rental, your phone isn't BT) however you're still technicly at the mercy of BT because they engineer the exchanges.

Whenever you ring up and try to have a problem sorted it will be Bulldog staff not BT. BT will only be contacted when theres a problem on the actual exchange that needs fixing...

Anyway, having said all that, i'm with Bulldog and our future is uncertain as they are trying to sell off the customer base and focus on wholesale. You can still sign up though.

Talktalk should be LLU in Accrington by the end of this month supposedly. While BE broadband is set to enable LLU in November (however they keep moving the date ALL the time so I would certainly not rely on this option :P)

Hope i've been of help
Old 15-08-2006, 21:33   #12
I am Banned

Quote:
Right, i said I'd ask on behalf of the in-laws. They are on cable and have NTL broadband but are fed up with the company messing them around. Is there any other internet service providers that can offer them broadband without having to change to a BT line?
AOL can use ntls wire so yes
chav1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2006, 21:37   #13
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chav1
AOL can use ntls wire so yes
Cheers chav, when I asked if they had been with NTL for the 12 month minimum contract they don't think they have, so would probably end up getting slapped round the chops with a great big charge.
Old 25-08-2006, 13:42   #14
I am Banned

Quote:
Cheers chav, when I asked if they had been with NTL for the 12 month minimum contract they don't think they have, so would probably end up getting slapped round the chops with a great big charge.
ntl are pretty good at letting you off the 12 month contract as long as you give them a good reason/excuse

say you got burgled and lost your pc and cant afford to replace the pc so you dont want the internet no more as its pointless and they should let you end teh contract

worked for me :-)
chav1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..